• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Boarding gun

Originally posted by Corejob
I'm not sure why flechettes are marginal. They are fantastic pentrators, with the added benefit of generating extremely low recoil. Throw them fast enough, and design them properly, and they are very lethal.
MV in this application are likely 300-500 m/s, not enough to make the flechettes "fish hook" so all you get are pinholes. It will easily defeat Cloth, but not rigid plates (maybe Lvl III HD polyetheline)

Bob, do you have an mass and velocity figures on the projectile? I'm curious to see what recoil numbers are going to be. ATK is stingy with any info.
I know the projectiles are about 140 g (APERS 15-20 g?). Early reports were that the recoil was about the same as a 7.62x51 rifle, which sugests a MV about 80 m/s. Since the max range is 600+ m and one shooter described "heavy recoil" it may be somewhat more. I am assuming about 100 m/s.

Originally posted by Corejob:
For a semi or select fire shotgun, I think I'd take the HK CAWS
or even the Atchisson Assault 12, now reborn as the AA-12. There's also the USAS-12 and the Russian Saiga-12 (a semi shotgun based on the AK - how cools is that)
Or the Benelli M1014 or M1, or the Remington 1100 with speedloaders (or the full auto 7188). The British Army in Maylaysia swore by the Browning Auto Five. IIRC Clyde Barrow carried a chopped Remington model 11 (same as the Browning A5) he called his "whippet".

BTW, the USAS-12 was the Atchisson built by Daewoo of Korea.

For ship board use, you'd want something compact, which suggests the Ithaca models 10 (A & B), or perhaps the Neostead or the obscure Wint er Swatriplex.
Also the Serbu Super Shorty, used as a door buster/sidearm by special ops in Iraq.

So many obscure weapons, so little time.

The only photos I could find of the swatriplex are
here

It certainly doesn't look compact however. Maybe a 2x5 rather then 2x9 would be a little better.

At that point it reverts to a rather prosaic (at least in traveller terms) twin magazine semi-auto shotgun.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
BTW, the USAS-12 was the Atchisson built by Daewoo of Korea.
Actually, the USAS-12 is radically different from the Atchisson, and the two only share a similar appearence. The Atchisson Assault-12 is a recoil operated gun that fires from an open bolt and uses a trigger system based on the Browning BAR (the original guns actually used an unmodified BAR trigger).

[Correction. It's blowback operated. My error.]

The USAS-12 on the other hand is a gas operated design that owes nothing more than concept to Max Atchisson's earlier gun.

I had occasion to examine both guns when I visited the ATF reference collection in Washington DC, and there are many significant differences between the two weapons.

Atchisson's original design has been resurrected as the AA-12 by Military Police Systems, although the same gun is advertised by Mid-America Recreation.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Corejob
I'm not sure why flechettes are marginal. They are fantastic pentrators, with the added benefit of generating extremely low recoil. Throw them fast enough, and design them properly, and they are very lethal.
MV in this application are likely 300-500 m/s, not enough to make the flechettes "fish hook" so all you get are pinholes. It will easily defeat Cloth, but not rigid plates (maybe Lvl III HD polyetheline)
</font>[/QUOTE]Shotgun flechettes are pretty useless if they are of conventional design, due to the velocites stated. At these speeds, the wound track is directly proportional to the width of the tail, hence AAI SCMITR. And penetration is definitly reduced. Even so, flechettes show marked improvements over conventional rounds thanks to their excellent cross sectional density.

The problem in my case was being involved in too many similar weapons discussions. There is another thread about armor and small arms that also brought up flechettes.

Or the Benelli M1014 or M1
My own Benelli M1 has been 'optimized for shipboard use'. This shows the length better:

SBShotgun.jpg

Although now it has a pistol grip stock.

class3.jpg

I you like pretty doublegun, but want something suitable for close in work, ATF has a stolen Purdy best grade side by side that someone sawed the barrels off.

I guess the crminal didn't know he was ruining a $50,000+ shotgun.

Not in the U.S. Navy.

I think Corejob was indicating that this CQB shotgun is just what you would want as a shipboard weapon. It does look sweet. 14"?

That poor Purdy ...
Corejob, tell us about the Sterling?

The Benelli has a 10.5 inch barrel.

The other gun picture is actually a PAWS ZX-5 SMG. It's based on the Sterling but uses the Canadian C1 trigger group and Sten magazines. I has occasion to do a lot of consulting work for PAWS, as well as being a friend of the owner and picked this up for a very reasonable price.

PAWS made the guns in several calibers including .45 acp (ZX-7), and a couple of others. There are also suppressed version of the 9mm and .45acp. They also sold a non Title II semi auto.

A small operation, they never made a lot of guns. Mine is number 21. I suspect only a few hundred transferrable SMG swere made befor the 1986 ban.

While not as 'modern' as guns like the MP-5, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Cyclic rate is arounf 600rpm, which mean it's easy to steer the 'spray' around like a hose.

I found one for sale, at a mere $6495. Before the ban, these could be had for under $1000.

http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/paws.html

BTW, all you shotgun buff may wish to google "Frag-12 shotgun ammunition". Looks interesting and has some defnite traveller possibilities.

How about . . .
(CT Stats)
FRAG-12
D6 Damage
Nothing +7 Jack +6 Mesh+4 Cloth +3 Reflec+6 Ablat+5 Combat -2
Close: -8
Short: +3
Medium: +3
Long: -4
Very Long: -9

FRAG-12%20Projectile_1.jpg

My take
Frag-12 from a shotgun
Damage 4D6
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Close Short Medium Long Very Long
no no -1 -3 -6
-----------------------------------------------
Nothing Jack Mesh Cloth Reflec Ablat Battle
+3 +3 +1 0 +3 +1 -4</pre>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Kurega Gikur:
4D6? Hmmm....
That means that 00 buckshot and FRAG-12 do the same Damage.
This shell goes BOOM when it hits.
In CT the 20mmLAG HE round only does 4d too ;)

The real bonus are the armour DMs.

Back