• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: Can you reconcile CSC and Core Rules Battle Dress ?

CaptRet

SOC-12
There is a big disconnect between the CSC and the Core Rules regarding the defensive values of certain armors and other equipment. Core Rules gives protection value of 18 to Battle Dress, while CSC gives 22 to the basic form.

Also, Combat Armor doesn't seem as protective as Poly Carapace (stacked) over a Cloth body suit yet it costs a great deal more (albeit the Cmbt Armor also functions as a Vacc Suit, giving protection from Rads, vacuum and tainted atmospheres).

Of course that the final determination of what is available is up to the Referee. But that somewhat begs the question - all the ammunition and weapons (particularly those with AP characteristics) contained in the CSC presuppose the protective values of certain armors. Battle Dress becomes particularly weak if the value is 18 vice 22, and APDSor and other AP factors are in the game. Seems that if you are in for a penny you have to be in for a pound, to maintain the balance.

You are apparently comparing MgT 1ed Core vs. MgT 2ed CSC.

In MgT 2ed basic TL13 battledress has protection 22 in both Core and CSC.

MgT 1ed CSC:
Travcatalogue_350.jpg

MgT 2ed CSC:
MGT-CentralSupplyCataloge_350.jpg

Thanks AnotherDilbert, that is exactly the case. I will go with the 22 value then, to maintain coherence in the system.

(albeit the Cmbt Armor also functions as a Vacc Suit, giving protection from Rads, vacuum and tainted atmospheres).

That ain't nothing :)

Thanks AnotherDilbert, that is exactly the case. I will go with the 22 value then, to maintain coherence in the system.

I would encourage you to pick up the 2e rulebook too - it is really very good and tweaks the 1e rules for the better.

There is a big disconnect between the CSC and the Core Rules regarding the defensive values of certain armors and other equipment. Core Rules gives protection value of 18 to Battle Dress, while CSC gives 22 to the basic form.

Use the CSC armor value if you're using armor piercing and special ammo types out of CSC. Use the core book armor value if you're ignoring CSC AP and special ammo.

Personally I go with core. AP and special ammo are more work for little benefit for my purposes. I do have and use CSC, but mainly as a GM resource, not an open-book rules resource for players.

I would encourage you to pick up the 2e rulebook too - it is really very good and tweaks the 1e rules for the better.

If 2e had been announced ten days earlier I would have held off buying a couple last 1e books and bought everything available for 2e. As it is, I have nearly the full line of 1e books, I have my house rules figured out, I have multiples of the core rulebook from when they were going super cheap (I see they're back up somewhat now, which is interesting), and there is no way in hell I'm rebuying a game line I already have.

But hey, good job keeping things under wraps until the day of the big announcement!

Use the CSC armor value if you're using armor piercing and special ammo types out of CSC. Use the core book armor value if you're ignoring CSC AP and special ammo.

Personally I go with core. AP and special ammo are more work for little benefit for my purposes. I do have and use CSC, but mainly as a GM resource, not an open-book rules resource for players.!

The thing I like about the CSC AP and special ammo is that it gives some chance for mid-tech to lesser-high-tech TLs to pierce higher level armor. That APDS can make a big difference and thereby keep players from relying too much on their supposed invincibility. Enough opponents firing ACRs on full auto (e.g.), using APDS, can make them take notice.

The thing I like about the CSC AP and special ammo is that it gives some chance for mid-tech to lesser-high-tech TLs to pierce higher level armor. That APDS can make a big difference and thereby keep players from relying too much on their supposed invincibility. Enough opponents firing ACRs on full auto (e.g.), using APDS, can make them take notice.

Personally, I go a step further and IMTU have a few different common ammo types and give a range of pistol and rifle calibres. I think it's always good to give the players some options. It's also a good adventure hook occasionally. (You need that rare round for your super customised revolver? Well this guy knows where you can get some - but he wants a favour....)

Part of this is because IMTU I have a cold war brewing between not-NATO and the not-Soviets so I wanted to have some equipment differences even within the same category of weapon (for ACRs, for example, not-NATO has a heavier round for more accurate 'one shot one kill' style shooting (which they can achieve at greater distances due to better individual training and better tech) while the not-Soviets have a more intermediate round better (and cheaper) for volume fire and close in work.)

Personally, I go a step further and IMTU have a few different common ammo types and give a range of pistol and rifle calibres. I think it's always good to give the players some options. It's also a good adventure hook occasionally. (You need that rare round for your super customised revolver? Well this guy knows where you can get some - but he wants a favour....)

Part of this is because IMTU I have a cold war brewing between not-NATO and the not-Soviets so I wanted to have some equipment differences even within the same category of weapon (for ACRs, for example, not-NATO has a heavier round for more accurate 'one shot one kill' style shooting (which they can achieve at greater distances due to better individual training and better tech) while the not-Soviets have a more intermediate round better (and cheaper) for volume fire and close in work.)
Interesting idea. Clearly an assault rifle (or ACR, SMG etc.) is a type of weapon, and various companies and nations/blocs/worlds/ can produce the same type of weapon in different calibers (just like here and now) which clearly won't chamber cartridges of the other.

it's why you have krak grenades and panzerfausts.

Unrelated to anything, but I'll never forget when playing an early game of Advanced Squad Leader that my allied force hiding behind the stone wall, or within the stone building, learned that all (most?) German infantry units had free, inherent Panzerfausts.

It's, like, a single sentence in the rulebook that I unsurprisingly missed.

"Oh. Thanks. Good to know."

My units did not fare well...

Back