• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Cascade Collapse

Note that the expected skills per term for Bk 4/5/6 is only about 1 higher than the basic careers, so adding a special duty roll solves the majority of the disparity.

I don't worry about a skill list or a formal list showing which skill serves as which other skill.

In game, when it comes up, I allow it if it makes sense, then I move on.

For example, the ATV overheats, and nobody's got Mechanical skill. But, a character does have Engineering skill. In this case, you bet. Use your Engineering skill in place of Mechanical, and let's get on with the game!
+1

I use 3 basic categories - unfamiliar, familiar, or experienced. In effect - no skill, no level, or the level of skill/equivalent level of skill.

Background and other skills and career, inform my judgement on familiarity and equivalent level of skill.

For player characters, prior successes and even failed attempts also may inform familiarity (i.e., PC has demonstrated experience in what works/doesn't work). This may also lead to bestowing a level of skill to be recorded on the character sheet (not formalized, just my call as a ref).

Note that the expected skills per term for Bk 4/5/6 is only about 1 higher than the basic careers, so adding a special duty roll solves the majority of the disparity.

Well, that might deal with generating CT characters closer to LBB4+ character skill numbers, but doesn't deal with exactly what I'm getting at.

It looks like to me like each character class in original CT and S4 may have been originally balanced out with less skills on purpose vs. chances for promotion skill vs. benefits.

I suppose a simple mechanism would be to give everyone 2 basic rolls per term, Scouts get 3 since they get 2 normally and have no rank, and still apply the extra rolls for commissioning and promotion. That would help deal with the LBB4 effect AND make people a lot happier with the enlisted or no rank careers.

Should the skill acquisition disparity between ranked and unranked careers be retained?

Well, that might deal with generating CT characters closer to LBB4+ character skill numbers, but doesn't deal with exactly what I'm getting at.

It looks like to me like each character class in original CT and S4 may have been originally balanced out with less skills on purpose vs. chances for promotion skill vs. benefits.

I suppose a simple mechanism would be to give everyone 2 basic rolls per term, Scouts get 3 since they get 2 normally and have no rank, and still apply the extra rolls for commissioning and promotion. That would help deal with the LBB4 effect AND make people a lot happier with the enlisted or no rank careers.

Should the skill acquisition disparity between ranked and unranked careers be retained?

Look at how MT did it. The additional skill isn't automatic, and the ranges is almost identical to advanced...
the Special Duty is just another 2d6 throw, with a fixed TN by career.

Look at how MT did it. The additional skill isn't automatic, and the ranges is almost identical to advanced...
the Special Duty is just another 2d6 throw, with a fixed TN by career.

Don't know how MT did it.

SD is an additional throw like commission/promotion? Do all careers have them, including S4 careers?

Yes, all of the careers in MT get the SD roll.

An alternative is to allow enlisted rank promotion in basic character generation.

Fail your commission roll and you can still roll for promotion through the enlisted ranks and gain an additional skill for promotion.

If in a later term you achieve commission then you start at an O rank one half of your E rank rounding up..

In my slow re-writing of CE, in addition to reducing the skill list to fewer, broader skills, I've done the 2 skills/term for each career, period. No bonus or automatic skills for promotions.

But my design goals were to simplify char-gen (fewer skills), for a pulpier game (2 skills/term), with allowances for players to fill in the blanks ("How did your 5-term Soldier get to Captain without any leadership ability?", "Well, here's how...").

My platoon sergeant got a field commission. I was not offered one (and
would not have accepted) -- but I was not surprised when I learned that he
had been commissioned. Cap'n Blackie had told me that I was getting "the
best sergeant in the fleet" and I had never had any doubt that Blackie's
opinion was correct. I had met my platoon sergeant before. I don't think any
other Blackguard knew this -- not from me and certainly not from him. I
doubt if Blackie himself knew it. But I had known my platoon sergeant since
my first day as a boot.
His name is Zim.

Yes, all of the careers in MT get the SD roll.

An alternative is to allow enlisted rank promotion in basic character generation.

Fail your commission roll and you can still roll for promotion through the enlisted ranks and gain an additional skill for promotion.

You mean that isn't how you were doing it all along?

My platoon sergeant got a field commission. I was not offered one (and
would not have accepted) -- but I was not surprised when I learned that he
had been commissioned. Cap'n Blackie had told me that I was getting "the
best sergeant in the fleet" and I had never had any doubt that Blackie's
opinion was correct. I had met my platoon sergeant before. I don't think any
other Blackguard knew this -- not from me and certainly not from him. I
doubt if Blackie himself knew it. But I had known my platoon sergeant since
my first day as a boot.
His name is Zim.
:)

Back