• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic FASA Ships converted to T20.

Thanks. I always liked them as well. And IMTU they are "standard designs."

Of the FASA designs, only a couple made the jump to Canon. This isn't a problem for *players* of course, though more artwork is always a good thing.

The Valor made it into MT -era artwork in the Rebellion Sourcebook, and later in TNE's Brilliant Lances.

The four Zhodani starships (but not the SDB) also got into Brilliant Lances. That'd be the Ninz, Chatl, Vlezhdatl, and Zhdits. The Zhdits was actually canonized well before, as part of an Imperial unit badge (with a hapless Zhdits in the crosshairs) pictured in, IIRC, Spinward Marches Campaign.

The Lord Sommerset was a variant of the Type M plans that appeared in Adventure 13 (Signal GK), and the Type T had artwork before FASA did the (flawed) deckplans for the Lurushaar Kilaalum (or however that's spelled).

I was a bit surprised that the Alexandria never made canon, considering it's architect was the premier artist of MT.

In the personal favorites category would have to be the Maru, ugly as it is, the Valor, and the Lucifer. I tried to love the Endeavor, but that is one screwed up piece of naval architecture...

Hmm. It may be time to re-visit the Valor, in another attempt to get the 400-ton plans to look right...

Actually the whole lot of them are Canon. FASA was officially licensed to produce material for Traveller. Not all canon is/was produced by GDW. FASA, Seeker Gaming Systems, Judges Guild, DGP, GDW and now QLI all produced canon material. And all were or are licensed to produce canon material. Judges Guild's material is no longer canon and is the only material that I have seen specifically removed from canon. DGP, while still canon is "forbidden canon," which means it can't be officially developed but is still there.

The Teahleikhoi Aslan Mercenary Regiment is a FASA write up that is in virtually all versions of Traveller. (I doubt they are in T4 and may not be in TNE, though I see no reason they wouldn't be around in TNE or 1248.) (Mentioned in GDW CT material and both GDW and DGP MT material.)

Just because only some of the ships had their pictures translated to other Traveller material doesn't make the rest of them non canon.

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
Of the FASA designs, only a couple made the jump to Canon. This isn't a problem for *players* of course, though more artwork is always a good thing.

The Valor made it into MT -era artwork in the Rebellion Sourcebook, and later in TNE's Brilliant Lances.

The four Zhodani starships (but not the SDB) also got into Brilliant Lances. That'd be the Ninz, Chatl, Vlezhdatl, and Zhdits. The Zhdits was actually canonized well before, as part of an Imperial unit badge (with a hapless Zhdits in the crosshairs) pictured in, IIRC, Spinward Marches Campaign.

The Lord Sommerset was a variant of the Type M plans that appeared in Adventure 13 (Signal GK), and the Type T had artwork before FASA did the (flawed) deckplans for the Lurushaar Kilaalum (or however that's spelled).

I was a bit surprised that the Alexandria never made canon, considering it's architect was the premier artist of MT.

In the personal favorites category would have to be the Maru, ugly as it is, the Valor, and the Lucifer. I tried to love the Endeavor, but that is one screwed up piece of naval architecture...

Hmm. It may be time to re-visit the Valor, in another attempt to get the 400-ton plans to look right...

Thank you Sigg. I had forgotten to put Games Workshop on the list.

It is amazing how many gaming companies got involved with Traveller.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Don't forget the Games Workshop contributions to Traveller canon, the IISS Ship Files and Adventure 4: Leviathan ;)

Originally posted by Bhoins:
Actually the whole lot of them are Canon. FASA was officially licensed to produce material for Traveller. Not all canon is/was produced by GDW. FASA, Seeker Gaming Systems, Judges Guild, DGP, GDW and now QLI all produced canon material. And all were or are licensed to produce canon material. Judges Guild's material is no longer canon and is the only material that I have seen specifically removed from canon. DGP, while still canon is "forbidden canon," which means it can't be officially developed but is still there.

The Teahleikhoi Aslan Mercenary Regiment is a FASA write up that is in virtually all versions of Traveller. (I doubt they are in T4 and may not be in TNE, though I see no reason they wouldn't be around in TNE or 1248.) (Mentioned in GDW CT material and both GDW and DGP MT material.)

Just because only some of the ships had their pictures translated to other Traveller material doesn't make the rest of them non canon.
Indeed, Canon was the wrong term. "Adopted by GDW into the 'cool enough to reuse' club" is more precise, but doesn't roll off the tongue quite as readily.

I'll plead "had to spend Sunday at the office" and throw myself at the mercy of the court .

oo, some of the IISS Ship Files designs are *funky*.

There were also a number that appeared in White Dwarf (before the GW House Organ Effect took over) that were quite good.

Sorry Sigg,
No I don't. I never saw them on the shelves. Matter of fact until I started messing with Blood Bowl, in 1989, (my insidious addictive route into War Hammer and War Hammer 40k that costs me so much money each year) I had never heard of Games Workshop.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Do you have the IISS Ship Files book?

If so you could do those next ;)

Probably 75% of all canon ships were funky in one way or another. Especially those caught in the LBB2 to LBB5 transition, and the LBB5 1st edition to LBB5 2nd edition, transition. I may be exaggerating slightly but even the GDW ships definitely have some problems. Even all these years later you see problems with the "Standard" T20 ships.

oo, some of the IISS Ship Files designs are *funky*.

There were also a number that appeared in White Dwarf (before the GW House Organ Effect took over) that were quite good.

Not necessarily funky in the "math eludes us" manner. A couple are out in that "so strange they don't feel like Traveller" zone...

Originally posted by Bhoins:
Probably 75% of all canon ships were funky in one way or another. Especially those caught in the LBB2 to LBB5 transition, and the LBB5 1st edition to LBB5 2nd edition, transition. I may be exaggerating slightly but even the GDW ships definitely have some problems. Even all these years later you see problems with the "Standard" T20 ships.
How true.
The humble X boat is a LBB2 1st edition design and is broken in LBB2 2nd edition ;)

It can be fun to take a standard design like a 200t far trader and design it in every version of Traveller just to compare the differences.

Like the Leviathan?
Or the T20 "Standard Fighter" with seats for 3 but a crew of 1. These things happen. Hell, the K'kree concept of what a Starship should be like is just plain insane from so many perspectives. Matter of fact the concept of a claustrophobic herd creature, that can't stand to be alone, developing space flight in the first place boggles the mind. But just because you don't see how it feels like Traveller doens't mean it doesn't feel like Traveller to others.

Not necessarily funky in the "math eludes us" manner. A couple are out in that "so strange they don't feel like Traveller" zone...

Back