• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic Traveller: An Adult Game/Attitude

Originally posted by Drakon:
...For a GURPy type game mechanics system like D20, you can't have a default universe. The whole point of something like D20 or GURPS, is the same mechanics and rules for a variety of sets and settings. While a "default" setting might be good as an example, it defeats the whole point of having a generic gaming system...
Funny you should say that.

"Welcome to the core setting of GURPS Fourth Edition!"

Originally posted by Drakon:
...For a GURPy type game mechanics system like D20, you can't have a default universe. The whole point of something like D20 or GURPS, is the same mechanics and rules for a variety of sets and settings. While a "default" setting might be good as an example, it defeats the whole point of having a generic gaming system...
Funny you should say that.

"Welcome to the core setting of GURPS Fourth Edition!"

Most "Universal" systems have a "Base Setting" or more... GURPS was Yrth. Probably Still is. Yrth grew out of the pre-GURPS Man-To-Man setting, and GURPS Basic is vary tightly tied to being able to do Ytrth. The sample characters are for Yrth. Likewise, until GURPS Traveller, GURPS Space had a "Defuault setting" establihsed by reference in the GS Star Atlases and RAcial books.

Hero System had Champions.

CORPS has modern conspiracy at it's 1st ed core, and some design decisions revolved around that.

EABA had 3 playtested during rules playtest... Ythrek is the one I got. My players wouldn't bite on ythrek... so we playtested with Traveller as the setting. (For comparison, the MT difficulties are about right for working with EABA...)

RIFTS grew out of Palladium's Mechanoids, with a stopover midpoint of Robotech RPG. Rifts Earth is a setting. It also hosts a means of getting from setting to setting. Palladium tends to operate on the "Rulebooks need settings" model.

BRP has several settings: Each setting is a variant ruleset... CoC, RQ, EQ, Storbringer, Hawkmoon, Elrik!, Ringworld. Plus the BRP setting-free rules.

D6: D6 had Star Wars, but now has a generic D6 Space setting.

Generic also doesn't mean "Anything Goes"... design decisions can and will affect setting issues.

Most "Universal" systems have a "Base Setting" or more... GURPS was Yrth. Probably Still is. Yrth grew out of the pre-GURPS Man-To-Man setting, and GURPS Basic is vary tightly tied to being able to do Ytrth. The sample characters are for Yrth. Likewise, until GURPS Traveller, GURPS Space had a "Defuault setting" establihsed by reference in the GS Star Atlases and RAcial books.

Hero System had Champions.

CORPS has modern conspiracy at it's 1st ed core, and some design decisions revolved around that.

EABA had 3 playtested during rules playtest... Ythrek is the one I got. My players wouldn't bite on ythrek... so we playtested with Traveller as the setting. (For comparison, the MT difficulties are about right for working with EABA...)

RIFTS grew out of Palladium's Mechanoids, with a stopover midpoint of Robotech RPG. Rifts Earth is a setting. It also hosts a means of getting from setting to setting. Palladium tends to operate on the "Rulebooks need settings" model.

BRP has several settings: Each setting is a variant ruleset... CoC, RQ, EQ, Storbringer, Hawkmoon, Elrik!, Ringworld. Plus the BRP setting-free rules.

D6: D6 had Star Wars, but now has a generic D6 Space setting.

Generic also doesn't mean "Anything Goes"... design decisions can and will affect setting issues.

Yeah, it was funny seeing that link. But I stand behind my original point.

Look, none of these setting mean that much. You can use the game mechanics and build your own. The setting does a lot of the work for you, and may offer ideas that you can steal for your own. But other than that, who cares if its the offical universe or not?

Yeah, it was funny seeing that link. But I stand behind my original point.

Look, none of these setting mean that much. You can use the game mechanics and build your own. The setting does a lot of the work for you, and may offer ideas that you can steal for your own. But other than that, who cares if its the offical universe or not?

OT: Man, as I started reading this I began feeling real young, inexperienced, callow and alone (none of you fine gentlemen can help with that last, though). Maybe I should get out of the house more often, or maybe I should get a job...

OT: Man, as I started reading this I began feeling real young, inexperienced, callow and alone (none of you fine gentlemen can help with that last, though). Maybe I should get out of the house more often, or maybe I should get a job...

Originally posted by Jame:
What? Can't hack that some of us have been gamers since the Carter Presidency or before?

Some of us were Rather Young when we started gaming.

I'll admit, I'm a game junkie (more than 15 CuFt of games on the shelves). And I've a few collectables in there (Mecanoids 1st ed...)

What? Can't hack that some of us have been gamers since the Carter Presidency or before?

Some of us were Rather Young when we started gaming.

I'll admit, I'm a game junkie (more than 15 CuFt of games on the shelves). And I've a few collectables in there (Mecanoids 1st ed...)

///Hence why, as an adult with real life experience in the services, I'm a died in the wool CT supporter. It's an "Adult" game and it hit the ground running as such.////

oath.

CT was the game i took on tour in the middle east back in '90. my squadies and i used to play when ever the time became available. i look back on the four of us crammed in the back of a m577 rattrig <communications all the way:)> digging out the d6s and the lbbs when ever we had a few hours to kill with fondness.

good times

///Hence why, as an adult with real life experience in the services, I'm a died in the wool CT supporter. It's an "Adult" game and it hit the ground running as such.////

oath.

CT was the game i took on tour in the middle east back in '90. my squadies and i used to play when ever the time became available. i look back on the four of us crammed in the back of a m577 rattrig <communications all the way:)> digging out the d6s and the lbbs when ever we had a few hours to kill with fondness.

good times

Having exhaustively read this fascinating thread I guess I'd better have some say:

In the 80s I played and GMed D&D and CT.
CT is my favorite game system because it is so simple - and I love si fi.
Setting is far more important than gaming system. I couldn't care less what game system people use - it's the setting that carries all the endearing memories of Traveller.
So in the T20/GURPS era, I personally buy all the T20 stuff because of the setting material, not the gaming system. I don't have much time these days to play traveller, but when I do I would use T20 Gateway setting and the CT rules. (Although I really like the streamlined vehicle/starship design sequences in T20).
It is what you grew up with. I grew up with CT/Mercenary/High Guard, so it is easier for me to referee games based around that, than T20, which I am just getting used to.
But to me setting is the only thing that matters. One could go so far as to say that in some Trav campaigns no rules are necessary at all. You just roleplay in the 3rd Imperium on a frontier somewhere.

Having exhaustively read this fascinating thread I guess I'd better have some say:

In the 80s I played and GMed D&D and CT.
CT is my favorite game system because it is so simple - and I love si fi.
Setting is far more important than gaming system. I couldn't care less what game system people use - it's the setting that carries all the endearing memories of Traveller.
So in the T20/GURPS era, I personally buy all the T20 stuff because of the setting material, not the gaming system. I don't have much time these days to play traveller, but when I do I would use T20 Gateway setting and the CT rules. (Although I really like the streamlined vehicle/starship design sequences in T20).
It is what you grew up with. I grew up with CT/Mercenary/High Guard, so it is easier for me to referee games based around that, than T20, which I am just getting used to.
But to me setting is the only thing that matters. One could go so far as to say that in some Trav campaigns no rules are necessary at all. You just roleplay in the 3rd Imperium on a frontier somewhere.

For us, CT was completely playable with The Traveller Book, Twilight's Peak, and scenarios gleaned from the _Best of JTAS_. DGP's task system was nice (and in fact was pre-MT), but tasks were for all practical purposes a simple grammar of "8+ modified by stat and skill".

I grew up with D&D and Gamma World; but when I found Classic Traveller (very late) I never looked back.

For us, CT was completely playable with The Traveller Book, Twilight's Peak, and scenarios gleaned from the _Best of JTAS_. DGP's task system was nice (and in fact was pre-MT), but tasks were for all practical purposes a simple grammar of "8+ modified by stat and skill".

I grew up with D&D and Gamma World; but when I found Classic Traveller (very late) I never looked back.

Well, some of us have just been at this thing a bit of time. As for the alone bit, some of us seem to be good at keeping that a constant

Seriously, gaming is one of those things that you phase in and out of depending on how your life is going (I've been too busy from time to time), but you can always come back to. For some, it stops giving a worthwhile return so they don't come back. For me, the returns are different than when I was 16, but actually better. The maturity of our gaming group (I don't think we have a below 30 in the group) makes for some great games.

I had fun in those early days of RPGs, but I enjoy the now too. Enjoy where you are. Wanting to be elsewhere is always gonna be a let down. It's some sort of Zen thing.

OTOH, my joints wish I was 16 or even 26 again. A zenponage or tenshin-nage would probably cause me to break something these days....

Well, some of us have just been at this thing a bit of time. As for the alone bit, some of us seem to be good at keeping that a constant

Seriously, gaming is one of those things that you phase in and out of depending on how your life is going (I've been too busy from time to time), but you can always come back to. For some, it stops giving a worthwhile return so they don't come back. For me, the returns are different than when I was 16, but actually better. The maturity of our gaming group (I don't think we have a below 30 in the group) makes for some great games.

I had fun in those early days of RPGs, but I enjoy the now too. Enjoy where you are. Wanting to be elsewhere is always gonna be a let down. It's some sort of Zen thing.

OTOH, my joints wish I was 16 or even 26 again. A zenponage or tenshin-nage would probably cause me to break something these days....

Originally posted by robject:
First edition GW? Eeek! I'm a veteran of that, Aftermath, Morrow Project, and several T2Ks. And I'm probably missing some other post apocalyptic games too.

I can see why you never looked back

Though it is kinda fun having a three armed winged telekinetic mutie.... ;)

Originally posted by robject:
First edition GW? Eeek! I'm a veteran of that, Aftermath, Morrow Project, and several T2Ks. And I'm probably missing some other post apocalyptic games too.

I can see why you never looked back

Though it is kinda fun having a three armed winged telekinetic mutie.... ;)

Back