• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

combat system

The original rules were pretty good, we used it for a long time. After the Soviet Union fell, we transitioned to Twilight 1992/Cthulhu. I remember the C-130 the players got, and affixed a (stolen) Russian Atol missile and used it to shoot down a Lear jet. That was the adventure where you all met "chum" I think? Or perhaps the Mexican pyramid one?

Ah, yes, the C130. We picked it up from a cocaine smuggler who discovered that 40mm M433 and JP-4 don't mix. We painted it iron-ball blue, dumped the cocaine over the Carribean and filled the smuggling compartments with ordnance.

When we went to Alaska the chin-mounted M-60s on the C-130 saved our butts. I hated to waste our only Atoll missile on that SOB, but we couldn't let him get away.

Now the Mexican Pyramid is where the free-lance Spetznatz tried to stop us. We figured we were up against Deep Ones next, so we let the surviving Spetatz take point and kept him covered with M203s and RPGs. Not "our chum," just "chum". :D

Say, I just picked up a copy of TW2Kv2.2 from Titan Games: does anyone know if "Last Battle" is compatible with the rpg? Is "Last Battle" for resolving large tactical situations or is it at the strategic level? Is it "scripted" in the sense that it takes place in a single locale with a series of missions or could you use it anywhere?
Most importantly, is it any good? Has anybody out there played it?

Originally posted by Arsulon:
Say, I just picked up a copy of TW2Kv2.2 from Titan Games: does anyone know if "Last Battle" is compatible with the rpg? Is "Last Battle" for resolving large tactical situations or is it at the strategic level? Is it "scripted" in the sense that it takes place in a single locale with a series of missions or could you use it anywhere?
Most importantly, is it any good? Has anybody out there played it?
I have a copy of the last battle but have yet to unwrap it. From what I can tell it is aimed at a minatures representation of combat at the tactical level (Platoon and Company size attacks). It includes aspects of vehicle combat.

Originally posted by trader jim:
help - there is a ton of twilight 2000 stuff on ebay - what was the date of the last issue released?? what should i look for?? any thing special i should bid on?? how many editions are there?? whats the latest and last?? Help, Help!!!!
There are Three main versions of T:2000.
First edition covered the cannon material, based on percentile rolls with an extremely simple method of skill determination and combat. Special rules were given for vehicles, explosives, radiation, illness and survival in a post-nuclear environemnt.
Rules for helicopters, aircraft, boats, subs, train etc were given as add-ons in the modules that followed.

Second edition was a d10 system that was poor in my opinion. It did not link skills to attributes and the lowest roll for measuring success or faliure was 1 out of 10 (this means 10%). It did however cover more equipment and rationlize the vehicle combat system.

Finally was Version 2.2 (the third release). This upgraded the system to d20 (but not in the 3e dnd sense). This combined your skill level to the attribute for a success roll, and many more increments of success and failure were added. This included easy, average, difficult, challenging and formidable (from memory). Vehicle combat was once again updated. This brought the product into line with Dark Conspiracy and TNE.

What should you buy? This depends on how much you want to spend. If you go for the orignial Ed. 1 set, you may need to get a collection of the first 8 to 12 modules in order to complete the rules and background missions.
Avoid Version 2.0 but by all means get Version 2.2

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Twilight 2000 2nd edition was the first set of rules corrupted into the awful "house system." I know a lot of players think that was the Twilight 2000.

Under 1st Edition rules we didn't have a problem with the Rambo syndrome. Did anyone else?
I never bought a copy of the 2nd ed house rules, but thought the original 2nd ed was a great rules set. I ended up using it to run some 2300AD adventures on Aurore as it worked nicely with the Kafers.

I was playing in a campaign when 2nd ed came out and the ref used Twilight Encounters (?) which was a kind of cross-over set introducing the new rules. Playing the Minimi gunner was huge fun with a bucket of d6 :) Picking up all the link afterwards was a bit of a pain for the character though.

For those interested, DC changed the hit point formulas as follows:

........T2K
Head CON x 2
Chest (STR + CON) x 3
Other (STR + CON) x 2

........DC II
Head CON
Chest STR + (CON x 2)
Other (STR + CON)

Changing to the DC formulas is an easy 'home' modification to T2000 or TNE rules.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Takei:
Picking up all the link afterwards was a bit of a pain for the character though.
Duck tape a canvas bag (or empty sandbag) to the ejection port.</font>[/QUOTE]Did that with the minigun on our FAV. We'd race thru Soviet-held villages in our T2k Iran campaign playing Rat Patrol.

I hate to admit it, but we did that before playing T2000. I fact we did it before RPGing...

Ah, my mis-spent youth.

But do you remember "Seneca Bandages"?

I hate to admit it, but we did that before playing T2000. I fact we did it before RPGing...

Ah, my mis-spent youth.

Back