• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Cover and the difficulty of ranged combat

I'd also add a modifier for endurance where for each round of combat where you are going "full tilt" out to do "stuff" once you hit that endurance number of rounds you start getting a -1 DM for each additional round. That is, for each additional round you keep going you get an additional -1. So three rounds past your endurance is a -3. When the modifiers equal your endurance, your finished for the moment and have to stop and rest.

Not doing anything for a round recovers one point of that. This prevents "Super soldiers."

This shows when the character is getting winded, is breathing heavily, is tired, and has "hit the wall" on endurance.

This ensures players can't be the Energizer Bunny and just keep going and going. It also slows things down and that's usually good in a skirmish level game where it's PvP or PvNPC.

Last edited:
I suspect if you do need a cheap submachinegun on standby, it's probably the Uzi, as long as you remain conscious of it's open bolt.

Open bolt SMGs are the rule, not the exception. It prevents uncontrolled fire due to cook off that can happen with a closed bolt, automatic weapon.

A few selective fire weapons (eg, FG 42) were engineered to fire from the closed bolt for semiauto and open bolt for fully auto.

Out of sheer curiosity, how much to these weight and to what extent do they increase the bulkiness of any weapon? Also, what supplies the power for them?

I don't recall how much. They're mentioned in descriptions of the FGMP.

Out of sheer curiosity, how much to these weight and to what extent do they increase the bulkiness of any weapon? Also, what supplies the power for them?

I thought I could get the answer out of Striker, as there is a weight value for before and after gravitics and I thought I could compare it to the BD-only heavy models.

But they are really wonky comparatively speaking, and the PGMP and FGMP weights before AG compensators and after are really different, may be they applied a real weight reduction to some parts due to TL.

There is a difference between the gyro-stabilisation of the ACR and the gravitic recoil compensators of the PG/FG.

The details of recoil compensation are included in TNE FF&S, but the gravitic compensation is replaced with a rigid worn mount similar to that steady-cam like rig in Aliens.

There is a difference between the gyro-stabilisation of the ACR and the gravitic recoil compensators of the PG/FG.

The details of recoil compensation are included in TNE FF&S, but the gravitic compensation is replaced with a rigid worn mount similar to that steady-cam like rig in Aliens.

Hmm , no actually it's the other way round- the heavy no compensation guns bolt onto a mount on the BD suit, and the gravitic compensator allows a non-BD shooter to lift and fire the PG/FGMPs.

The non-compensator guns are an order of magnitude cheaper then the compensated ones, so usually it's just as well to pay up to get the BD suit and BD-only guns.

Well, I'll grant TNE wonkiness might have been the last word in whatever, but I promise the LBB4/Striker non-compensating ones were BD bolt/mounts too.

I know how it works in LBB:4/Striker/MT.

I have just quoted what is written in FF&S:
gyroscopic stabilisation is TL10 and is a weapon add-on
inertial compensation is TL14 and is a worn steady-cam rig the weapon is attached to.

It does not have details for the gravitic compensation inherent to the CT PGMP14 and FGMP15

The weapon masses listed in LBB:4 are a bit different to the weapon masses in Striker, so it's difficult to interpolate the gravitic compensators, but looking at LBB:4
the mass of the PGMP13 is 0.9#7kg (w#pp) while the PGMP14 is 9#1.6kg while the FGMP14 is 1#9kg and FGMP15 is 1#2kg = I would estimate the gravitic compensation at TL14 to be 8kg, while at TL15 about 0.4kg.

Last edited:
Also, what supplies the power for them?

The power for those high tech FGMP is said to be supplied by an integral microfusion plant. I guess the compensatros draw from this plant too.

I know how it works in LBB:4/Striker/MT.

I have just quoted what is written in FF&S:
gyroscopic stabilisation is TL10 and is a weapon add-on
inertial compensation is TL14 and is a worn steady-cam rig the weapon is attached to.

It does not have details for the gravitic compensation inherent to the CT PGMP14 and FGMP15

The weapon masses listed in LBB:4 are a bit different to the weapon masses in Striker, so it's difficult to interpolate the gravitic compensators, but looking at LBB:4
the mass of the PGMP13 is 0.9#7kg (w#pp) while the PGMP14 is 9#1.6kg while the FGMP14 is 1#9kg and FGMP15 is 1#2kg = I would estimate the gravitic compensation at TL14 to be 8kg, while at TL15 about 0.4kg.

The best descriptions of the TNE conception of high energy weapons (recoil compensated and non-compensated) are actually on pages 86=87 of Reformation Coalition Equipment Guide.

I haven't read the whole thread so someone may have already mentioned this.

A nice rule in Striker is that damage is upped one step (Light to Medium, Medium to death) if the character is hit while firing from cover. This is to reflect that the damage is going to be in the head and upper torso since that's what pops up. I don't recall if AHL rules had that in them.

Damage from shooting through cover is handled as usual.

I haven't read the whole thread so someone may have already mentioned this.

A nice rule in Striker is that damage is upped one step (Light to Medium, Medium to death) if the character is hit while firing from cover. This is to reflect that the damage is going to be in the head and upper torso since that's what pops up. I don't recall if AHL rules had that in them.

Damage from shooting through cover is handled as usual.

Nice, I had not noticed that.

The hit location modification does that for me, if it hits exposed parts it's just the armor the character has, if another covered part then the cover adds to the armor as per the rules.

Advantage is that I can have vest or helmet armor and have extremities uncovered, but you do less damage to arms so mixed armor levels are viable.

Hmm reviewing my QND rules, don't really say when a hit entirely removes a body part- just usually 'know it when I see it'.

Extrapolation on the fly is fine too, say two natural 6s on the damage roll ends up meanting potential brain damage and hits going to INT/EDU.

Perhaps everyone in the Far Future uses Submachineguns?

In my games the most common weapons are the Snub Pistol, Accelerator Rifle and Gauss Pistol.

Question 1: As a Referee how do you handle cover with a map-less/miniature-less game system? Abstract? Fiat (say a room with various trappings allows cover if one so wishes)? How do you reconcile this with a simultaneous combat system?

Lots of screaming running and diving mostly. Cover being a mater of personal choice, often diving to the floor or around a corner...

Question 2: Are most of your ranged combats close or at a distance? Do you find they draw out with most shots missing? Or are they fast and deadly? Or, perhaps non-existent?

Knife and Pistol ranges mostly. Range generally depends on whether the encounter is Urban or rural mostly.

I don't recall if AHL rules had that in them.

Not exactly. In AHL if the target is under cover but hit, is added to the damge roll, for the same reasons you tell from Stiker.

Extrapolation on the fly is fine too, say two natural 6s on the damage roll ends up meanting potential brain damage and hits going to INT/EDU.

My houserule for this sort of stuff is a natural 12 means a guaranteed hit. This gives even desperately outgunned PC's a chance to do something.

The opposite is a natural snakeyes gets you a weapons malfunction to try to clear that round. Even the most meticulously maintained device can act up in the stresses of combat. A cable gets lose, a spring goes sproing, etc..

Make your skill roll +// skill and DEX DM's. If its a melee weapon then it broke, so....yeah, that bites.

Not exactly. In AHL if the target is under cover but hit, is added to the damge roll, for the same reasons you tell from Stiker.

My mistake. I had it reversed: in Striker, if the hit is from an energy weapon (defined as lasers, FGMP, PGMP) or explosive-type weapon (RAM HEAP, KEAPER) then the damage is upped one step.

If it is a hit while firing from cover then the damage roll gets +2 added to it.

Damn, I'm getting old.

My boys and I were playing around the other day with ranged combat (have not really rolled dice mechanics in a long time). It struck me then that hitting anyone in ranged combat can be quite a feat for the average mortal.

Most combats are at medium range, 5-50m. Pistols have a resounding poor chance of hitting at this range. Add in cover (-1 to -4 depending on what it is) and with even no armor a revolver is anywhere from -3 to -6 to hit. Add in armor values and pistols become quite useless at anything except short/close range. Perhaps I am missing something? It would seem an average man/solider would struggle to hit, especially since there is no "aim" action to improve accuracy (unless one uses telescopic/electronic sights, which for pistols are useless). Perhaps everyone in the Far Future uses Submachineguns?

Question 1: As a Referee how do you handle cover with a map-less/miniature-less game system? Abstract? Fiat (say a room with various trappings allows cover if one so wishes)? How do you reconcile this with a simultaneous combat system?

Question 2: Are most of your ranged combats close or at a distance? Do you find they draw out with most shots missing? Or are they fast and deadly? Or, perhaps non-existent?

At my police qualifications we shot our pistols cold at 20 yards as part of the requirements. I never had any trouble with that with .40SW or 9mm....but sometimes we would have an exercise where we shot at 40 yards just to see how that works. It felt like I was shooting a mortar. But..it could be done.

I wouldn't count on it under fire, though. Or at a moving target.

But then, anyone with experience in combat firearms will tell you that your pistol is for two things: close range combat and to fight your way to your rifle.

I try to always impress that on players if they object to how seemingly useless handguns are in Traveller. They work great in ship corridors, bars, alleyways, and dozens of places players have combat in far, far more often than places a rifle is better at (other than damage). It also depends a lot on the combat rules you use.

I have gone back to the Classic rules since they better break down range attenuation from just "effective" to close and short, which better represent handguns than the Striker/AHL rules do. I also emphasize to players how handguns are seen as more of a defensive weapon as opposed to a rifle or shotgun by a lot of people so that is why carrying one is low on the Law Levels. They are also largely concealable, and lightweight. Basically they are like explosive clubs and there are lots of reasons to use them in the game.

I also, long ago, introduced a general rule IMTU that openly carried handguns are not usually illegal. Combat type weapons and armor usually is in most urban areas.

That brought handguns back into the game and somewhat increased PC lifespans.

As for ranges, most combat happens from Close to Short ranges unless outside - then it can be anywhere. Like 70:30 or more.

Question 1: I very rarely run minis for any reason in Traveller. Not sure why, but it always seemed too cumbersome, though I have used butcher paper, protractors, and pencils to run a miniature-less plot-type ship combat if the players liked it.

I just keep track in my head and use some kind of markers to sort things out on the fly if needed. Usually there aren't more than 5-6 people playing so it isn't hard to do it that way. More than that and I'd use figures.

I also don't use simultaneous combat. I use initiative and then a firing order based on DEX with DM's for skills. I've found it works better since that sort of method is pretty much what everyone is used to and can do in their head. Most combats don't last more than 3-5 rounds, either, with one side's morale breaking for one reason or another, or everyone is out for the count.

Back