• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Creating Ship Deckplans

Daleus

SOC-3
They seem to be the most popular item on many Trav pages, but rarely are the design stats accompanied by deckplans.

I'd like to change that, but I have no idea about how to create deckplans from any given ship stats.

Pointers to resources, or your own procedures would be appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daleus:
Pointers to resources [on how to make deckplans], or your own procedures would be appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello.

I've made some deckplans, and they can be an interesting challenge. My first bit of advice would be to look at lots of deckplans...see what the official ones look like, even the broken ones, and see what other fans are doing. It can also help, if you can find them, to look at real plans for maritime vessels and buildings to get a feel for putting things together.

I usually make a sketch, then use a spreadsheet to divvy up the different parts of the ship by function. I use the numbers to see how much of the ship should be drives, how much should be bridge, that kind of thing, then I block out similar-proportioned areas on my sketch. For example, if I see that 25% of the hull volume should be drives, I block out about a quarter of the sketched ship for drives.

Once I've blocked out areas, I start thinking access. Major hatches from the outside for cargo bays, for example. I might try a rough 3D sketch of the ship to figure out where multi-deck items (very large weapons, power plants, hangar bays, etc.) will be and how they'll effect the decks around them. I'm not doing any details right now, just blocking out areas based on guesses for volume.

Next I try and firm up the dimensions of the ship. I'll sometimes try to get really detailed at this part, reducing the ship to primitive solids and precisely calculating comparative volume, but really a close guess is OK. At this stage, since I'm determining how long or how thick the ship is, I can make a good guess as to how many decks that measurement divides up into.

I sketch the proper number of decks onto the earlier "block-out" sketches - paralell to thrust direction or perpindicular ("airplane or skyscraper"), whichever works best for the design. Now I can see a pretty good basis for working out the internal arrangement.

Now that I have the exterior dimensions and the general internal layout, I start working details. Major compartments first, string them together with horizontal and vertical accessways with a nod towards traffic patterns, then fill out minor compartments in appropriate places between the major ones. Add in a few chrome details, like a small EVA prep area near the main airlock, or an armory right between Marine Country and the Boat Deck. Push a bulkhead here, trim a nacelle there, tweak the deckplans until I get the best balance between following the ship design and getting deckplans that look good to me.

Deckplans are really more of an art than a science, which is a good thing.

Walt Smith
Who really has to get his last two designs on the web.

Originally posted by firelock_ny:

Hello.

I've made some deckplans, and they can be an interesting challenge. My first bit of advice

snip (many juicy items throughout)

get a feel for putting things together.

:I have laboured over many Trav designs, recreating deck plans in a vector drawing program, but somehow I don't quite have the feel for adjusting volumes etc.

:What design system is your favourite and why?

I usually make a sketch, then use a spreadsheet to divvy up the different parts of the ship by function.

:Can you pass on any relevant formulae?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daleus:
Originally posted by firelock_ny:

:Can you pass on any relevant formulae?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The big question is which design system are you using? This makes a difference in how much detail you have to work from and what is considered as normal for the drawings.

I use 13.5 - 14 m^3 / displacement ton and metric dimensions (as with all Trav versions except GURPS). Deck squares are 1.5m x 1.5m, normal distance between decks is 3m (2.75m is normal for houses, with 2.5m cieling hieght). With the top .5m is used for wiring, environmental systems, etc. This is about normal for the Navy ships I have been on. Civilian ships would have a drop cieling to disguise this area. This makes a displacemnet ton 2 deck squares, so take the displacement of each component from your design and multiply by 2 to get the number of deck squares.

Set your working area to equil the number of deck squares from the volumes used (not including fuel, as this is commonly used to fill aareas between the inner hull and outer hull, and otherwise unusable areas of the hull). On starships, large areas of the hull are filled with fuel, make allowance for this by using the most unusable areas for fuel.

Next, stateroom volumes INCLUDE some of the common areas (normally 1/2 to 1/3 of the listed volume for a stateroom is common area) ajust accordingly. If your usable area does not go all the way to the outer hull then reduce the volume required by weapons to reflect that part of these systems are not included on the deckplans. Next, if using one of the expanded design systems (MT, FF&S, FF&S2, T4 SSDS) lifesupport, inertial compensation, and artificial gravity are items stuck in the overhead area, so remove these from your list of items to make room for. Reduce the volume for sensors and comms, as part of these volumes are on the skin of the ship (I use 1/2 volume). Start filling the usable area with components (best done on scratch paper or as blocks on computerized drawings to be detailed later) based on the adjusted volumes. Up to 10% of major components (drives, etc) can be used to provide access to those components (passage ways). You want to do this as scratch paper as you will have to rework it several times to get the feal you want.

Hope this helps
Charles H

Thanks very much for the excellent replies.

I expect I will use High Guard 2, as I don't believe I have any of theother systems!

I will let you all know how it goes, hopefully with some designs and deckplans of my own.

Anyone else with suggestions - please add them. I am by no means an expert and would continue to appreciate any suggestions.

------------------

Back