• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Ship Builder

Bugs in software

Greetings !
I have tried three times to design a 1000 D. Ton starship only to get some kind of error message and I am unable to finish the design. The error message makes some kind of comments regarding "logs". I would really like to try again. I hope this helps you in finding any problems that might exist in the program.

Tried to use this to redo the 20-ton launch in the errata (TL 7), and it says that if you use crew couches you have to have a computer. :rofl:

Hey Don,

Perhaps a poor error message :). A small craft must have either a bridge or a computer. The presence of crew couches without a bridge or a computer fires the error. (ref Bk5, pg 34).

I'll change the message to "Crew couches must be accompanied by a computer or a bridge".

Well spotted :)

Greetings !
I have tried three times to design a 1000 D. Ton starship only to get some kind of error message...

Can you let me know the details of the design? PM me if you like. Screen shots are fine, but you may need to email me.

First I have to say thanks for the online shipyard program. It allows more time for the creative process and less number crunching.

I would like to ask, if and when you, update the program if you could include the Solomani fixed weapon mounts from Alien Module 6.

Suggestions for further diversifying the payload options with a Medical Bay & Missile Magazines.

Again Thanks.

BVW

I would like to ask, if and when you, update the program if you could include the Solomani fixed weapon mounts from Alien Module 6.

Suggestions for further diversifying the payload options with a Medical Bay & Missile Magazines.

Will do. I'm overwhelmed with RL stuff at the moment, so it may be a couple of weeks or so.

Have you got a canon reference for the medical bay and magazine size/costs? 1979 Bk2 IIRC mentions missile magazines, but I haven't updated my cd rom to get the pdf.

Will do. I'm overwhelmed with RL stuff at the moment, so it may be a couple of weeks or so.

Have you got a canon reference for the medical bay and magazine size/costs? 1979 Bk2 IIRC mentions missile magazines, but I haven't updated my cd rom to get the pdf.

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I will push more excepts to you and I understand RL commitments. Thanks again for your time.

- BVW

From Alien Module: 6 Solomani - page 42
Fixed Weapons Mounts: Solomani ships may have fixed
weapons mounts (as opposed to turret mounted weapons).
Fixed weapons mounts allow up to two weapons to be attached
per each hardpoint on the ship and do not require fire control
tonnage or a turret. Weapons in fixed weapons mounts are
operated by a gunner on the bridge and are subject to an attacker's
DM - 2 in space combat. A ship is allowed fixed
weapons mounts equal to the model number of the computer
installed on the ship (Model12 computer allows two hardpoints
to have fixed weapons mounts).

Somewhat confused. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: 800 ton Pursuit Destroyer, class DP, needle config, armour 2, J-6 M-6. Comp seleceted mod 7, drives and plant (as per book 2 ed1981 pp22) should be X,X,X; when I check by hitting submit, I get "Fix 1 issue before this design is valid: For this standard 800 ton hull, engineering cannot occupy more than 165 tons".

Whatever combo I use, changing the MJP specs, everything, it keeps giving me that error.

What am I doing wrong?

Somewhat confused. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: 800 ton Pursuit Destroyer, class DP, needle config, armour 2, J-6 M-6. Comp seleceted mod 7, drives and plant (as per book 2 ed1981 pp22) should be X,X,X; when I check by hitting submit, I get "Fix 1 issue before this design is valid: For this standard 800 ton hull, engineering cannot occupy more than 165 tons".

Whatever combo I use, changing the MJP specs, everything, it keeps giving me that error.

What am I doing wrong?

Try to, instead of a 800 dton hull, put a customized hull and then 800 dton.

Standard 800 dton hulls are described in LBB2 (page 22) as having 165 dton drives section and 635 dton of main section (that's what makes them standard).

Last edited:
Ah.
slap.gif
OK, thanks :)

Thanks McPerth for helping out. When I get a chance I'll look at adding to that error message to make it clearer. If anybody spots any other error messages that could be improved, let me know, this is a good place to collect that sort of feedback.

CT Ship Builder services may suffer an outage in the next week or two. The storage limit of the Heroku hobby account is nearly full and I will need to look at purging old data (or coughing up for a paid account which I am less keen on). Meantime in RL I have a thesis due in the next two months which is occupying every spare minute I have.

Sorry about the impending hiccup, but I have to prioritise. My time will/should free up in a couple of months.

Regards the data, when I tackle this, I will email all users to find out if you consider your designs worth keeping. There are a lot of registered users that have not logged on in over 4 months and I believe culling unwanted accounts will be sufficient for another 6 months while I look at more efficient data storage and ways to automatically manage possibly unwanted accounts.

Again, my apologies for the hiccup when it happens.

CT Ship Builder services may suffer an outage in the next week or two. The storage limit of the Heroku hobby account is nearly full and I will need to look at purging old data (or coughing up for a paid account which I am less keen on). Meantime in RL I have a thesis due in the next two months which is occupying every spare minute I have.

Sorry about the impending hiccup, but I have to prioritise. My time will/should free up in a couple of months.

Regards the data, when I tackle this, I will email all users to find out if you consider your designs worth keeping. There are a lot of registered users that have not logged on in over 4 months and I believe culling unwanted accounts will be sufficient for another 6 months while I look at more efficient data storage and ways to automatically manage possibly unwanted accounts.

Again, my apologies for the hiccup when it happens.

It seems to already be happening, as the link in the first post gives an error message: "We're sorry, but something went wrong. If you are the application owner check the logs for more information."

Bit sooner than I thought, I got the note while I was away for two weeks in conferences and only got back this morning. Bugger, will look at the credit card next week and cough for the account upgrade if there is room.

With a whiskey to calm my nerves, I have migrated the database to a larger, (cheap!) paid plan. Unfortunately I haven't got the time at the moment to purge old records to bring the database back under the limit for free accounts. Don't let the sacrifice of my hobby pocket money be in vain!

The database move looks good, but if you spot something odd, yell.

Cheers!

Bug report or feature request, you be the judge.

When creating ships with B2 engines, the PP "fuel power" number of weeks entry is disregarded and the amount of tonnage dedicated to power plant fuel is always pegged at 4 weeks RAW.

A definite feature request: I use house ruled B2 fuel calculations so I would love if that was a field to accept floats (just like the custom engine fields) rather than the forced weeks. That way I could just force it to take the amount of fuel that I want under my rules.

Back