• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Detailing NPCs for part terms

For detailed NPCs that have only completed part of a term (e.g. 20 , what rules of thumb do you apply for assigning the correct number of skills, etc?

Clearly the answer will differ by version but any suggestions welcome.

I often use a d4 to determine how many years in they are in that current term, then it becomes edition/char gen specific.

If pure Classic, the number of years = chance of getting 1 (or 2 for non-ranked careers) x25 (i.e., 1st year, 25%, 2nd 50%, 3rd 75%, 4th 100%)
if the extended class (books 4/5), just roll per year in the term as normal
other systems follow a similar pattern basically

that sort of thing. But I also will sometimes just give them a necessary skill if needed for the game. I remember years ago I was rolling up NPCs for a game, and one of the players (who used to be a game editor) said why don't I just create them as needed? And I don't because then the NPC has no backstory as generated by the dice, and as I've mentioned before, I worry that then I'll just keep creating the same NPC.

Yes, it is inefficient to do this manually, but I like rolling up Traveller characters. It may take several tries to get one that fits what I need, but in the meantime, I now have a bunch of other NPCs that may be useful.

Back