• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Do You Use RAW Spacecraft Combat Rules?

Do You Use RAW Spacecraft Combat Rules?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My last Traveller campaign had several one v one ship battles, I got bored with the MgT1 rules. Remembering the FASA Trek game, I had made cards for wach role on the ship (captain, engineer, etc.) with the rolls and things that each PC could do. That seemed to work OK, but I wasn't having fun as the GM.

When the campaign built up to a big pirate-fleet-vs-Aslan-ihatei-gathering, I thought about using Full Thrust, but ended up rekindling my love affair with Star Frontiers: Knight Hawks. That ended up being really simple for the players to grok, and was fun for me. The fight with 30+ small ships on each side took a whole session, and served as a great campaign-ender.

I avoid space combat so that I do not have to deal with space combat rules. If absolutely pushed to it, I would probably break out Imperium, or maybe Warp War, and use those.

Weird, I just read a OLD Space Gamer article about combining those games....

I will admit that I am 66 years old, and have been gaming since 1969. I do have my original copy of Warp War, and a couple of copies of Imperium, one of which I bought when it first came out.

My limited experience with Traveller space combat rules was a LBB2-based scenario where we were supposed to land on a planet to get away from pursuing pirates. I figured out a vector that took me directly to the planet. The ref explained that this was going to be a collision with the planet, not a landing. My subsequent attempt at maneuvering got me to miss the planet but be swung around (at almost a right angle) by its gravity.

I prefer kitbashing Traveller weapons onto Full Thrust's movement rules.

My current thought when I think of something other than a set of rules based on Mayday is something totally cinematic. meaning lots of things to zoom around and ships have speeds and what not. It looks a lot like Sid Meier's Starships video game. My main issue with that is where/how to reset the ship's speeds.

Back