• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Battledress: Suits or Mecha?

Should battle dress be a suit or a mecha?

• Total voters
Fair enough, reading Heavy Time currently but I see I’ll have to do Rimrunners next, prepping for the release of the second book of the new Alliance Rising series.
They are all good reads.
Rimrunners is set almost immediately after Downbelow Station and details the adventures of an ex-India marine sergeant. In that book the armour used by the marines which is mentioned in Downbelow gets a much more detailed description.

"Powered exoskeletons in fiction​

• C. J. Cherryh's novel Rimrunners deals partly with the tactical and technical details of armored marines deployed from large interstellar carriers for boarding actions and station-taking."

Can you pilot a Starship while wearing Battledress?

IMHO as much as you can in Vacc Suit1...

The main problem you will have is controls are quite likely to be tactile screens (or holographic). How can you use a taclitle screen in gloves? This aside, in MT:SOM the old timer talks about the ship computer to ask for the palm to be put as identificator at random moments (less often in emergencies), with the sensor monitoring the blood oxygen to be sure the hand belongs to a live person. Here gloves would affect again...

And last, but not least, not as much for starships as other crafts, BD (as Vacc Suits) are bulky, and so it will depend on the space for the operator. I've never allowed Vacc Suit or BD equiped troopers to use a crafted seat in MT designs (I'm not sure if other design systems have the varios kinds of seats)

Note 1: along the whole post, when I talk about Vacc Suits they include Combat Armor

Pros always prep their ship for combat by going to vacuum, no explosive decompression or fires. So yes you have to be able to operate the ship in a vacc suit.

Same thing in fighters, doubly so since there is no suit up space or time when things go wrong.

Now then, battle dress might be a problem but due to its powered nature and greater strength. Fine control might be an issue with greater strength against manipulating throttles and mashing buttons.

I would require full skill in the suit and would impose negative DMs whenever the pilot was in the suit type they don’t typically use.

IMHO as much as you can in Vacc Suit1...

The main problem you will have is controls are quite likely to be tactile screens (or holographic). How can you use a taclitle screen in gloves? This aside, in MT:SOM the old timer talks about the ship computer to ask for the palm to be put as identificator at random moments (less often in emergencies), with the sensor monitoring the blood oxygen to be sure the hand belongs to a live person. Here gloves would affect again...
I do not see military ships having this 'feature'. It's something to go wrong at the worst possible moment.

Can you control a spacecraft while encased in powered armour?

FzEH91vagAEWnA7.png

Yes.

OTOH military seccurity uses to be the thighest

However, modern military combat vehicles and ships tend not to have much security - they rely on the crews, etc. for that. Besides, the most likely people to steal your shiny spaceships are the ones you're giving the key, etc. to.

For civilian ships, sure (banks and insurers may well require it), but I don't see it for military ones.

Do you consider the Stormtroopers armor to be BD or CA?

I'd go for CA, as they don't seem to be powered...
The Department of defense did significant training in the 1960s on a white polystyrene body armor that would have almost exactly matched storm trooper armor. The problem was it didn’t cool, and the soldiers kept passing out from heat stroke. Not ideal.

The OP’s definition was set after several comments and votes were already tallied.
The OP's definition was  clarified after his initial polling questions yielded responses inconsistent with the root definitions he'd mistakenly thought he'd implied in his initial questions, and his poll included an option for voters to change their votes, and the clarification (or "false definition", depending on one's viewpoint) was discussed (or perhaps argued about would be a better phrasing) so the impact on the poll itself can best be described as falling somewhere between negligible and nonexistent (in my opinion, of course, notwithstanding that some no doubt consider the poll irreparably compromised by the clarification aka "false definition"), though the discussion devolved to the point that the OP himself elected to depart the thread in apparent disgust. Just clarifying. ;)

Back