• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Don't call them a Dog?

I think that when I consider the Vargr, they know that someone modified them from the start on Lair. Unless Grandfather or one of his progeny terraformed Lair to be close to Terra, the lack of any similar creature on the planet is going to tell them that they were planted there by someone. As Dire Wolves were carnivores, with a tendency to scavenge as well, Lair would need fauna compatible with the digestive system of a Terran carnivore. Presumably, whatever one of the Ancients modified the initial Vargr avoided planting a similar or competitive carnivore on the planet. What would be the affect on the Vargr of knowing that they are a created intelligent species? Once they come into contact with Terran humans, they discover that their very distant ancestors came from Terra. How do they react to that? What would be the reaction of a Vargr on first seeing a German Shepherd in a guide dog harness, clearly the servant of a human being? I use German Shepherd as an example as being somewhat close to how Vargr are portrayed. As I just recently encountered a gentleman with a Saint Bernard assistance dog, that would be a possibility as well. For that matter, how would a Vargr react on first seeing a Great Dane, a Chihuahua, a Saint Bernard, or a Yorkshire Terrier? Would they view them as slaves or what?

I think that when I consider the Vargr, they know that someone modified them from the start on Lair. Unless Grandfather or one of his progeny terraformed Lair to be close to Terra, the lack of any similar creature on the planet is going to tell them that they were planted there by someone. As Dire Wolves were carnivores, with a tendency to scavenge as well, Lair would need fauna compatible with the digestive system of a Terran carnivore. Presumably, whatever one of the Ancients modified the initial Vargr avoided planting a similar or competitive carnivore on the planet. What would be the affect on the Vargr of knowing that they are a created intelligent species? Once they come into contact with Terran humans, they discover that their very distant ancestors came from Terra. How do they react to that? What would be the reaction of a Vargr on first seeing a German Shepherd in a guide dog harness, clearly the servant of a human being? I use German Shepherd as an example as being somewhat close to how Vargr are portrayed. As I just recently encountered a gentleman with a Saint Bernard assistance dog, that would be a possibility as well. For that matter, how would a Vargr react on first seeing a Great Dane, a Chihuahua, a Saint Bernard, or a Yorkshire Terrier? Would they view them as slaves or what?

It is reminiscent of a "Planet of the Apes" scenario.

I think I have my Vargr understand that Terran dogs are nonsapient creatures, that evolved differently from Vargr.

Humans can do this with apes, but a lot don't.

I also wonder if there are different breeds of Vargr as there are different breeds of dogs. A Great Dane Vargr, a Saint Bernard Vargr better able to handle cold, a Mastiff Vargr better at hand to hand fighting, or maybe a Newfoundland Vargr better adapted to wet and cold conditions.

Back