• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Favorite Science Fiction Books

The Neal Asher books have been really good. I would start with- "Shadow of the Scorpion" it's the prequel to the Polity/Prador War series of books. His books remind me somewhat of Ian Banks writing.

Given all the others, and my Solis book has an extensive "Appendix N" of influences -
Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers.
Masks of the Outcasts by Andre Norton, though I could give recommendations of many of her other books, no doubt a huge influence.
Voices in the Sky by Arthur C Clarke, another giant, and primary influence.
Driftglass by Samuel R Delany (esp the Star Pit, a view of a spacecraft repair company at a starport).
The Best of Cordwainer Smith by Cordwainer Smith, including Scanners Live in Vain, and Alpha Ralpha Boulevard.

I could keep going ...

When it comes to authors that have influenced me the most, that would be Andre Norton and H. Beam Piper. Then there is Murray Leinster, whose Med Ship series would make a terrific campaign for someone with Medical skill. A lot of those can be found on Project Gutenberg. Then there is Robert Howard. Yes it is fantasy, but the influence for Sword of Cepheus is enormous.

I liked Mike Brooks's series about the Keiko: 'Dark Run' / 'Dark Sky' / 'Dark something else'.

Dark Sky in particular is all about a revolutionary uprising on a mining planet, with a hostile unbreathable atmo so the entire colony is built below ground level.

8. Duchy of Terra series (The Terran Privateer et al) - Glynn Stewart. Good news: Terran scientists have developed a hyperdrive! Bad news: Under accepted Galactic Law, that opens us up for conquest by local powers! Turns out that the A!Tol Imperium is actually fairly benevolent and will protect us from slavers and genocidal fanatics, plus we manage to turn circumstances to become a semi-autonomous duchy rather than a system directly ruled by the Imperium. The series is primarily mil-SF and political intrigue, but I would love to run a Traveller campaign in this setting. Lots of room for merchants, diplomacy, exploration, military action as big as you want it (mercs, Duchy, Imperial), establishing colonies in the zone reserved for us or in unexplored space... very open.

Aww, I could go on at some length about the various SF series of Glynn Stewart (not even mentioning his fantasy stuff; he is very prolific). Two interesting things are that 1) most of his series make me want to play Traveller in their settings; and 2) from some of the rather specific words and phrases that he uses in his stories, I'm about 95% sure that Glynn Stewart is or has been a Traveller player himself. Anyway, onward!
Thanks for recommending this series. I picked the first one up on Kindle, and am now on Book 6. Does have some very cool themes, even if the Universe he's created is not purely "Travelleresqe" in it's implementation. But I agree that it seems likely hat Glynn Stewart has played some Traveller; many of the "tropes" are present...

James White: Sector General Series. About a Hospital for aliens. His other books were a good read as well.
Larry Niven: Ringworld, Known Worlds Series and Mote in the Eye of God. These books inspired me and my RPG Days.
Fred Saberhagen: Beserker Series
Heinlein: He was okay. Inspired my military tech side
Anne Mccaffrey: I know she is known for Dragon Riders of Pern, but the story had a sci-fi backstory. It showed my how to do a corupt world right.
Andre Norton, some of her Sci-fi books were a joy to read. Dinosaur Planet enjoy the heck out of it.
Any 30's-50's pulp Sci-fi ficition.

And all the authors and thier story I've read that are lost to time...

Anne Mccaffrey: I know she is known for Dragon Riders of Pern, but the story had a sci-fi backstory. It showed my how to do a corupt world right.
Andre Norton, some of her Sci-fi books were a joy to read. Dinosaur Planet enjoy the heck out of it.

And all the authors and thier story I've read that are lost to time...
Dinosaur Planet is a McCaffrey book. She wrote a LOT of pure Sci-Fi.
The Brain & Brawn Ship series is a real favorite, as is The Crystal series.

The Ireta series, as catalogued by ISFDB, comprises five novels, two "Dinosaur Planets" by Anne McCaffrey 1978 and 1984, and three "Planet Pirates" written with co-authors in the 1990s.

They share a fictional premise and some characters. The events of Dinosaur Planet overlap with the final chapters of The Death of Sleep, as does Dinosaur Planet Survivors with Sassinak; Generation Warriors continues and concludes the storylines of both series.

The Dinosaur Planet series

When the Exploration and Evaluation Corps team reached the planet Ireta, dinosaurs were not what they expected to find.
  • Dinosaur Planet (1978)
  • Dinosaur Planet Survivors (1984)
Omnibus editions have been issued under the titles The Ireta Adventure (1985), The Dinosaur Planet Omnibus (2001), and The Mystery of Ireta (2004).

The Planet Pirates trilogy

All is not well in the FSP: pirates attack the spacelanes. In this series, survivors on Ireta and survivors of space pirate attacks join forces.
  • Sassinak (1990-03-01) with Elizabeth Moon
  • The Death of Sleep (1990-06-01) with Jody Lynn Nye
  • Generation Warriors (1991-02-01) with Elizabeth Moon
Omnibus edition: The Planet Pirates (1993).

Some of the books my dad read to me as a child to help me learn to read:

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
Glory Road by Robert A. Heinlein
All the Colors of Darkness by Lloyd Biggle Jr.
The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard
The Weapon Shops of Isher by A. E. Van Vogt

I have many of his Science Fiction Book Club selections he got in the late 50's - mid 60's.

If you are a Star Wars fan, there are two non-Star Wars books you should read:

Citizen of the Galaxy by Robert Heinlein
and
Space Vikings by H. Beam Piper

Once you start reading, it should become apparent why Star Wars fans might be interested.

Although it's gotten a bit passe of late, back in the day Heavy Metal magazine was a great sci-fi (among other genres) read.

Although it's gotten a bit passe of late, back in the day Heavy Metal magazine was a great sci-fi (among other genres) read.
I had a sub back then when it was monthly. It was the time of Bilal, Gimenez, and Moebius, really awesome artwork, and stories.

I never used to read Heavy Metal (I honestly don't know if I've ever seen an issue). I did enjoy the Heavy Metal animated movie when it hit the theaters.

I used to read Epic Illustrated, which I believe is very similar. I think I even still have a few issues.

I remember Epic. I think I have bought the soundtrack to Heavy Metal the movie three or four times.

I never used to read Heavy Metal (I honestly don't know if I've ever seen an issue). I did enjoy the Heavy Metal animated movie when it hit the theaters.

There was a live-action series called Metal Hurlant which was the French version of Heavy Metal.

I rolled my car once. Guess what song was on the cassette player at the time?

That's right, the one with the lyrics that went 'Take a ride on Heavy Metal.'

Oh my youth...

I used to read Epic Illustrated, which I believe is very similar. I think I even still have a few issues.
I remember Epic. I think I have bought the soundtrack to Heavy Metal the movie three or four times.
There was Heavy Metal 2000. Here are the soundtracks associated with the movie:
  1. "F.A.K.K. U" — 1:44
  2. "Silver Future" by Monster Magnet — 4:29
  3. "Missing Time" by MDFMK — 4:35
  4. "Immortally Insane" by Pantera — 5:11
  5. "Inside the Pervert Mound" by Zilch — 4:07
  6. "The Dirt Ball" by Insane Clown Posse and Twiztid — 5:33
  7. "Störagéd" by System of a Down — 1:17
  8. "Rough Day" by Days of the New — 3:18
  9. "Psychosexy" by Sinisstar — 4:02
  10. "Infinity" by Queens of the Stone Age — 4:40
  11. "Alcoholocaust" by Machine Head — 3:38
  12. "Green Iron Fist" by Full Devil Jacket — 3:51
  13. "Hit Back" by Hate Dept. — 3:52
  14. "Tirale" by Puya — 5:34
  15. "Dystopia" by Apartment 26 — 2:56
  16. "Buried Alive" by Billy Idol — 5:10
  17. "Wishes" by Coal Chamber — 3:06
  18. "The Dog's a Vapour" by Bauhaus — 6:44
Additional tracks:

(These were used in the film, but were not included in the official soundtrack for unknown reasons.)

1. "Apparition" by Coal Chamber — 2:28
  2. "Hate me" by Sons of Domination — 2:24
  3. "Ion" by Voivod — 4:32
  4. "You Don't Know What It's Like" by Econoline Crush — 4:02

Back