• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

History of Sci-Fi magazines

There are some interesting books by Mike Ashley on the history of the Sci-Fi magazine that I would like to eventually get to. The First one is "The Time Machines: The Story of the Science Fiction Pulp Magazines from the Beginning to 1950"

51VIhlWQTRL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is the first of three volumes that chart the history of the science fiction magazine from the earliest days to the present. This first volume looks at the exuberant years of the pulp magazines. It traces the growth and development of the science fiction magazines from when Hugo Gernsback launched the very first, Amazing Stories, in 1926, through to the birth of the atomic age and the death of the pulps in the early 1950s. These were the days of the youth of science fiction, when it was brash, raw and exciting: the days of the first great space operas by Edward Elmer Smith and Edmond Hamilton, through the cosmic thought variants by Murray Leinster, Jack Williamson and others to the early 1940s when John W. Campbell at Astounding did his best to nurture the infant genre into adulthood. Under him such major names as Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, A. E. van Vogt and Theodore Sturgeon emerged who, along with other such new talents as Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke, helped create modern science fiction. For more than forty years magazines were at the heart of science fiction and this book considers how the magazines, and their publishers, editors and authors influenced the growth and perception of this fascinating genre.

Yes it looks interesting, I can't wait to get to it. I had gotten interested in the PULP era after finishing "Dark Valley Destiny: the Life of Robert E. Howard" by Sprague de Camp.

51IxIEUzkJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just started this interesting book "The Unique Legacy of Weird Tales: The Evolution of Modern Fantasy and Horror".

51lrITahwqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read some of the early Gernsbacks when I was a kid. And I was buying Astounding when it changed to Analog.

While I like early Asimov and Heinlein, they works of A.E. van Vogt, L. Sprague de Camp, Ray Bradbury, and Theodore Sturgeon could keep me awake at night. I credit them for my early imagination going 'oooh ! Aaah ! Yeow !'.

I thought that site was prominently displayed at the Zhodani Base website- you guys haven't seen that pulp cover thing before?

I thought that site was prominently displayed at the Zhodani Base website- you guys haven't seen that pulp cover thing before?

Someone or another reposts it about once every 18 months.

It gets reposted on G+ about once a quarter...

That shot of the monorail makes me think of the Double Adventure Across the Bright Face. Nice job.

And Otto, your cover brings to mind a discussion I have ongoing with Cryton over the slow communications in the Imperium. If something happens to the Duke of Regina, it may be 6 months to a year before the Emperor knows anything about it.

If something happens to the Duke of Regina, it may be 6 months to a year before the Emperor knows anything about it.

Yes I agree, well that is why I like to think of Traveller as Science Fantasy rather than hard boiled Science fact. Such an empire would be unsustainable with that long of time for communications.

Is there a website with the old Science Fiction magazine covers? Those would be fun to look at.

Sipping my morning coffee, waiting for the awful heat to hit. I guess Chicago is supposed to really get it today timeover?

:coffeesip:

Yes I agree, well that is why I like to think of Traveller as Science Fantasy rather than hard boiled Science fact. Such an empire would be unsustainable with that long of time for communications.:

Whether or not such an empire is sustainable, it certainly makes many parts of the Imperium volatile. Which is perfect for adventure fiction.

Back