• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fighters in YTU

Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The ship you are attacking with the fighters can only get a limited number of weapons to bear on the fighters, who conversely can fire all of theirs.
if the fighters are bunched up on one side, yeah. but then all the larger ship has to do is roll to uncover unused batteries.
"collided with target" is going to be very common with the range measured in metres rather then kilometres.
ships with big closing vectors leaping around with agility ratings of 4 to 6 may have proximity issues, yes. playing chicken might even be a standard tactic of a heavily armored ship facing incoming fighters.
</font>[/QUOTE]
paragraph.gif
I like where you are going with this. Without such tactics, fighters really are nothing more than tiny, ineffectual gunboats. As such, they would have been phased out of regular service long ago, right along with the Gazelle.
omega.gif

Originally posted by Arthur Denger:
Perhaps you have missed your calling: you should have been a technical advisor for Lucasfilm!
Lucas would have listened politely then quietly had him fired and still done it his way. He had all those cool WW newsreel bits of dogfights and explosions he just had to use. They practically dubbed direct copies in many cases with just a bit of sci-fi dressing. I'm still suprised the X-wngs didn't sound like Spitfires :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
What really puts paid to fighters as TL increases is the fact that their weapons - of any type - can no longer hit their opponents or penetrate those opponents' defenses.

As computers increase in size, fighters find themselves at an increasing disadvantage in hitting their opponents let alone damaging them. Around TL13, one TL after dampers appear, even small ships can carry a computer much larger than those fighters can carry or power.

Agility is the other part of this equation. Again, as TL increases, ships get more power from smaller plants allowing them to have high gee and agility ratings. Agility greatly helps to prevent hits also.

It's an ability to hit their opponent that sidelines the fighter in later tech levels and not what sort of weapons fighter hit their opponents.

Have fun,
Bill [/QB]
In MT they can have as good computers as the capital ships.

Originally posted by far-trader:
Lucas would have listened politely then quietly had him fired and still done it his way. He had all those cool WW newsreel bits of dogfights and explosions he just had to use. They practically dubbed direct copies in many cases with just a bit of sci-fi dressing. I'm still suprised the X-wngs didn't sound like Spitfires :rolleyes:
You're probably right about Lucas. Still, it would not have been hard to get around all that, if he had wanted to; just make the Death Star bigger and add an artificial atmosphere. With everything else he 'got right' (remember, it was 1977), it's a shame he could not have done so with the dogfight scenes. Heck, the original trilogy has been remastered/reissued so many times, he could still digitally remake the offending scenes and issue it as a special edition, to please the hard(core)-sf fans... (sigh).

Most of the agility of aerial combat comes from the interaction of the airframe with the air. In a vacuum ships actually turn fairly slowly. They can accelerate like a bat out of H***, but they do not barrel roll all that well. Watch the shuttle/ISS missions on TV - it would make for a boring movie or game.

Some of the best space fighter scenes on screen I can think of are how the Starfuries in Babylon 5 pivoted around using their outboard thrusters.

There was something really cool about the fighter not slowing down and just flipping around to fire backwards then flipping back.

The current Battlestar Galactic has some of this as well, but aslo tends to suffer from smooth arc flight paths versus flip to new axis and burn away.

The space shuttle, that thar' thing is just a pokey TL8 surface to orbital tug with a barely enough fuel to keep up in the sky. ;)

Agreed, I can still remember the "Wow, cool!" feeling of seeing the Starfuries in action that first time years ago. It was good to finally see a bit of reality in some sci-fi again.

<Abstract without precedent in CT/MT>
If you design fighters with short ranged weapons, they become quite fearful at short ranges, and well suited to two roles: close defence and planetary assault (and defence)

Without needing to focus to long ranges, fighters can be quite fearful at "contact" (below 10,000 km) ranges, but they are dreadfully exposed below those ranges, and only useful for anti-missile duty and so forth in a "deep space" engagement. This all changes when they are in or near a large system body, and can use their prodigious thrust to engage and disengage from the "Battlewagons"

Using this analogy, "Fighters" start to look like the napoleonic "gunboats" (cutters or equivalent with a carronade mounted in the bow) which were devestatingly effective when employed in shallow coastal waters, but entirely ineffective in "blue water" engagements. This was one of the reasons that "blockades" were one of the preferred methods of containment, since ships could not survive close engagement with gunboats and fixed defences, but they could ensure that nothing left (or entered) the harbour of a blockaded city.

Sound like an overwatch to keep people within the 100D limit to anyone?

Blockading ships getting too close would be under fire by planetary defences or gunships (fighters) but too far out they would not be ablle to effectively blockade the planet.

IYTU YMMV

If folks are interested, I can track down the heavy plasma cannons that my "Interface" fighters used (IIRC about a 2.5 GW single-shot plasma cannon, which puts a hole in just about *anything* it hits)
</Abstract concept which works in TNE / T4>

Scott Martin

In re Small Target Mods & firing

Since, even using beams at C, you are not firing at a target in the same sense as a man with a rifle. You are firing at an area where the target should be upon arrival, much like artillery.

The small target mods are flat in CT/HG, and for that matter BL/TNE and MT.

AS the range opens, the number of shots to saturate the area and assure a hit goes up. For small ships, this goes up MUCH faster.

Originally posted by Kaale Dasar:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
What really puts paid to fighters as TL increases is the fact that their weapons - of any type - can no longer hit their opponents or penetrate those opponents' defenses.

As computers increase in size, fighters find themselves at an increasing disadvantage in hitting their opponents let alone damaging them. Around TL13, one TL after dampers appear, even small ships can carry a computer much larger than those fighters can carry or power.

Agility is the other part of this equation. Again, as TL increases, ships get more power from smaller plants allowing them to have high gee and agility ratings. Agility greatly helps to prevent hits also.

It's an ability to hit their opponent that sidelines the fighter in later tech levels and not what sort of weapons fighter hit their opponents.

Have fun,
Bill
In MT they can have as good computers as the capital ships. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]In HG they could as well. But powering them, making space for them and making it cost effective are issues here.

Originally posted by atpollard:
Most of the agility of aerial combat comes from the interaction of the airframe with the air. In a vacuum ships actually turn fairly slowly. They can accelerate like a bat out of H***, but they do not barrel roll all that well. Watch the shuttle/ISS missions on TV - it would make for a boring movie or game.
That is because the majority of the thrust from the shuttle is only in a single direction. Maneuvering thrusters have very little power in comparison. For a more appropiate parallel consider the Harrier. When VIFFing (Vectoring In Forward Flight) it has been reported that a Harrier can throw its nose around between 30 and 60 degrees per second. (3 to 6 seconds to go nose to tail.)

Originally posted by BetterThanLife:

... When VIFFing (Vectoring In Forward Flight) it has been reported that a Harrier can throw its nose around between 30 and 60 degrees per second. (3 to 6 seconds to go nose to tail.)
Technically impressive as that might be in real-world terms - it would still make for a boring movie or game. Come to think of it, has there ever even been a serious movie made (without Bond, Rambo or Schwartzenegger) which featured a Harrier? I seem to remember a jump jet cameo in some far-fetched movie plot or other (I think the pilot had a Dragon rocket launcher which he fired from within the cockpit...). :rolleyes:

Most illos and deckplans, plus the semi-canonical SSOM make it clear that the viffing capabilities are negligible.

Thrust drops to 50% at 90°, and 10% at 175°-180° off axis.

I seem to remember a jump jet cameo in some far-fetched movie plot or other (I think the pilot had a Dragon rocket launcher which he fired from within the cockpit...).
battlefield earth. some harriers, but the guy fired the rocket from inside an alien ship cockpit after he'd crashed it. "piece of cake."

In HG they could as well. But powering them, making space for them and making it cost effective are issues here.
This is my primary Traveller issue...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by atpollard:
That is because the majority of the thrust from the shuttle is only in a single direction. Maneuvering thrusters have very little power in comparison. For a more appropiate parallel consider the Harrier. When VIFFing (Vectoring In Forward Flight) it has been reported that a Harrier can throw its nose around between 30 and 60 degrees per second. (3 to 6 seconds to go nose to tail.) </font>[/QUOTE]If I am aiming for your center of mass and you are evading my fire by vectoring your "thrust" to spin like a top about your center of mass, then I will shoot you down as easily as if you were not attempting to evade.

[Although it might be cool for you to be flying straight away from me at 6G and suddenly spin around, take a shot at me, spin again and change your thrust vector 90 degrees to gently curve to the right.]

An aircraft in atmosphere might execute a high G roll and turn to avoid an incoming missile. A ship in space with a 6G thrust will be far less agile (6G turn) than an atmospheric fighter with only 2G thrust and a good airframe (9G turn).

I still think a real space dogfight would be nowhere near as visually exciting (cinematic) as the WW2 footage used by Lucas.

Originally posted by Aramis:
Most illos and deckplans, plus the semi-canonical SSOM make it clear that the viffing capabilities are negligible.

We should try mounting a reactionless drive in the center of a ship on a pair of concentric ring supports so it can be pointed in any direction independant of the orientation (or spin) of the ship. That would drasticly increase the ability of a ship to "jink" vs rotating the entire ship to change the thrust vector.

And if you belong to the "many thruster plates pointing in every direction" flavor of traveller (no criticism intended) then this might still allow you to place all of your thruster plates pointing in one direction and rotate the thruster plates. That would either increase the thrust (from 3x to 6x depending on how you think the plates work and how many you have - one per axis or 1 per side) or reduce the number of thruster plates required (by 66 to 83 percent) and the MD cost.

Originally posted by Aramis:

For the Harrier, the way I read it, main source is Harpoon but corroborated by a couple of Harrier Mechanics I served with and a Harrier Driver, it is a combination of using the airframe and the VIFFing. So you roll over on your side, spin the nozzle to slow forward progress and aggressively push the nose around at the same time as using the airframe control surfaces. we aren't talking about stopping and spinning, but rapidly changing the facing of the nose. (It makes for a very tight turning radius and is very good at getting out of the way of an incoming missile.) It also takes practice and isn't something you attempt close to the ground. (It tends to trade lift for tighter turn radius.) You effectively put yourself in a, mostly, controlled spin, and yes, you are definitely with this maneuver in another aircraft, departing controlled flight.

The F22 and more, so the YF23 are also capable of Viffing to a limited extent. (They can steer their tail nozzles for some very impressive snap maneuvers.) You may be delivering only half your thrust off axis but that is definitely still going to be impressive. (And look slick as hell in a movie.)

Since the Maneuver drive in Traveller is reactionless, with the exception of TNE, there is absolutely no reason that 100% of thrust couldn't be directed in any direction. (Even through the length of the ship.)

Originally posted by atpollard:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by atpollard:
That is because the majority of the thrust from the shuttle is only in a single direction. Maneuvering thrusters have very little power in comparison. For a more appropiate parallel consider the Harrier. When VIFFing (Vectoring In Forward Flight) it has been reported that a Harrier can throw its nose around between 30 and 60 degrees per second. (3 to 6 seconds to go nose to tail.) </font>[/QUOTE]If I am aiming for your center of mass and you are evading my fire by vectoring your "thrust" to spin like a top about your center of mass, then I will shoot you down as easily as if you were not attempting to evade.

[Although it might be cool for you to be flying straight away from me at 6G and suddenly spin around, take a shot at me, spin again and change your thrust vector 90 degrees to gently curve to the right.]

An aircraft in atmosphere might execute a high G roll and turn to avoid an incoming missile. A ship in space with a 6G thrust will be far less agile (6G turn) than an atmospheric fighter with only 2G thrust and a good airframe (9G turn).

I still think a real space dogfight would be nowhere near as visually exciting (cinematic) as the WW2 footage used by Lucas.
</font>[/QUOTE]As far as I can tell there isn't any aircraft that has 2G thrust. (And 9G lateral acceleration isn't anywhere near the same thing.) About the closest I can find is the F22 which, with a minimal weapon load would have around 1.5G. Normal flight profile is around 1.2G. As for not being cinematic. Well you can either have a ship travel at the "Speed of Plot" (The max speed of the Firefly.) to basing things at least somewhat on basic principals of Physics.

Back