• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fighters/PT Boats in the Traveller Universe

Iirc there’s ten missiles in a displacement ton in CT?

This is roughly a cylinder of 5m tall and .3m radius. Which is about 1.5x the size of a sea sparrow.
Per CT Book 2 and SS3, turret missiles are 50 kg. Per MT, they're 0.1 kl, so 135 to the dTon. Probably closer to 100 given you can't fill the volume with 100% efficiency.

The base weight is 30kg for a 10cm CPR shell, which is what a 1 KT nuke fits into at TL15, but tac missile warheads are given as being 0.05 (!) times this weight, so 1.5kg.
I saw the tac missile entry, don’t think that’s applicable just cause fissile or some laser/grav h-bomb takes hardware and/or heavy radioactives.

Striker missiles are 15cm turret and 25cm bay, so that means the 1kt turret nuke is available more in the TL 11-12 range.

Per CT Book 2 and SS3, turret missiles are 50 kg. Per MT, they're 0.1 kl, so 135 to the dTon. Probably closer to 100 given you can't fill the volume with 100% efficiency.
Missile supplement has the turret missiles in a protective case. I want to say 12 to a dton.

The Hellfire missile AGM-114 is a 49kg missile, closest thing I can find mass wise in the real world.
It has a volume of 0.041 cubic metres so even with packaging it looks like MT rounded up.

If you go with 1 displacement ton is limited to 1000kg then the most you can have is 20 50kg missiles per displacement ton.

But as soon as you remove that restriction 14 cubic metres can hold 341 of the 0.041 cubic metre missiles.

A triple launcher would need 0.369 cubic metres for the missiles. Lets double it to account for the launch rails and reload mechanism 0.738 cubic metres. The 12 spare missiles take up 0.492 cubic metres, lets double it for storage, 0.984cubic metres.

Missile supplement has the turret missiles in a protective case. I want to say 12 to a dton.
"Standard missiles must be able to fit inside a standardized shipping/launch container. ... The standard container is a cylinder with interior dimensions of one meter long and 15 centimeters in diameter." So, no.

A standard missile launcher rack holds one missile ready to fire and two ready for future launches, there are three in a 3-missile turret so 9, and then there is room for an additional 12 in the turret ready for the gunner to load so 21, and then the gunner position itself and whatever other equipment is there, and the container is described as a "fitted directly to the launch rack and the missile is fired from it." So, 21 containers plus a crew position plus the various machinery in a 1 dTon turret. Then someone needs to go to the cargo bay to fetch reloads.

If you go with 1 displacement ton is limited to 1000kg then the most you can have is 20 50kg missiles per displacement ton.
For trivia, the C-17 has a a lift capacity of over 1800kg per dTon. But, it has to actually lift with wings and things, something a ship does not.

"Standard missiles must be able to fit inside a standardized shipping/launch container. ... The standard container is a cylinder with interior dimensions of one meter long and 15 centimeters in diameter." So, no.

A standard missile launcher rack holds one missile ready to fire and two ready for future launches, there are three in a 3-missile turret so 9, and then there is room for an additional 12 in the turret ready for the gunner to load so 21, and then the gunner position itself and whatever other equipment is there, and the container is described as a "fitted directly to the launch rack and the missile is fired from it." So, 21 containers plus a crew position plus the various machinery in a 1 dTon turret. Then someone needs to go to the cargo bay to fetch reloads.
The supplement lists a number, I don’t see that quoted. Could be 12 could be 15, that was free floating without counting whatever is in the rack.

I figure with missile batteries most of the gunners are humping missiles and loading them with just one gunner firing.

SS3 explicitly states the number of missiles. 3 per launcher, 1 ready to fire and 2 immediate reloads. A turret of any size has room for 12 additional missiles regardless of the number of missile launchers.

single missile launcher 1+2+12
double missile launcher 2+4+12
triple missile launcher 3+6+12

SS3 explicitly states the number of missiles. 3 per launcher, 1 ready to fire and 2 immediate reloads. A turret of any size has room for 12 additional missiles regardless of the number of missile launchers.

single missile launcher 1+2+12
double missile launcher 2+4+12
triple missile launcher 3+6+12
With this, I have been trying to figure out the Semi-Automatic launchers from the Kinunir....

This is how I do it currently
50 ton missile bay - 1 hardpoint these days
8 laser turrets - 8 hardpoints
2 PAWS turrets - 2 hardpoints
1 drop capsule launcher - 1 hardpoint

With the size missiles are depicted, a drop capsule with a man on it woun't fit it (at least if the man is in a single piece ;))
Shrug size the capsule as desired, the point is to carve out a section of a hull and a price for launch- missile bays fit the bill.

A missile bay is 50t, a drop capsule launcher is 1 ton

"Jump capsule launch facilities may be installed on any spaceship. Each launcher
may launch one capsule in 30 seconds. A launch facility takes up 1 ton of displacement,
costs Cr10,000, and stores 1 capsule. Additional launch-ready storage takes
up 0.5 ton and costs Cr1.000 per capsule. Additional capsules beyond the capacity of
the launcher may be carried as cargo, at 0.5 ton each.
There are three types of jump capsules: the basic capsule (Cr2000), the assault
capsule (Cr10,000), and the high-survivability capsule (Cr50,000)."

A missile bay is 50t, a drop capsule launcher is 1 ton

"Jump capsule launch facilities may be installed on any spaceship. Each launcher
may launch one capsule in 30 seconds. A launch facility takes up 1 ton of displacement,
costs Cr10,000, and stores 1 capsule. Additional launch-ready storage takes
up 0.5 ton and costs Cr1.000 per capsule. Additional capsules beyond the capacity of
the launcher may be carried as cargo, at 0.5 ton each.
There are three types of jump capsules: the basic capsule (Cr2000), the assault
capsule (Cr10,000), and the high-survivability capsule (Cr50,000)."
What’s that quoted from?

Thats too cheap IMO, I’d still be inclined to use the bay.

OTOH, it would be reasonable to use at that price for general emergency evacuation capsules.

Hard points are to increase the strength of certain points on the hull.

And there's a lot of places that could be done, for any number of components, like launch tubes.

Back