• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Have you ever created your own setting?

A few

I've done a few different settings outside of the base Third Imperium, with Traveller and other systems:

• A setting based in the Daibei and Reaver's Deep sectors around the fall of the Second Imperium. It features Caledon and Drexilthar as up-and-coming post-colonial economies becoming regional powers in the power vacuum left by the fall of the Rule of Man.1 The other major powers are the Yerlyaruiwo and Khaukheairl clans and a coalition that the Daibei regional government put together. This is held together with duct tape and various secessionist movements (mainly Vilani separatists who still view the ROM as a barbarian occupying force) are starting to pull the Daibei apart.
  • A pulpy Star Wars-ish setting (including tech such as blasters) that I ran a campaign in.
  • A low tech (9-10) setting loosely based on the Falkenberg's Legion stories.
  • Another setting - not entirely serious - that I started to do with Traveller but then ended up doing with a different system based on a hacked about version of the Twilight:2000 rules. It was a but pulpier than the stock OTU but less OTT than Star Wars.

Plus one or two others I can't remember.

1Cleon I would later glass Drexilthar and Caledon would switch sides at the end of the Reaver Wars, but that's milieu-0, something like 1700 years after the time of this setting.

Well, I've created numerous sectors which are now on TravellerMap, and the Orion OB1 Association setting, but neither of those are wholly divorced from the OTU as the first ones are in the outer parts of Charted Space and the Orion OB1 Association lies just a few sectors outside of it. Thus, I don't think any of my settings can be considered "divorced from Charted Space", apart from perhaps some of my earliest experiments with the Zhodani Base random subsector generator.

My Traveller planets, Sectors and Sub-Sectors with a star cluster in the planning stages, are all on the other side of the galaxy from OTU.

Well, I did move my futuristic Marsport/SPACE: 1899! pages over to my Traveller site. But that freebie part of the web host has shut down. So I had to move it.

I have portions of two Galaxy Spiral Arms of my own design, with star areas that connect the two.

I haven't decided what details of GURPS Traveller, original Traveller, etc. to use yet. Or which one I'm going to use yet.

Last edited:
I am working on what I call the Norton-Piper Sector, set to the Rimward of Terra, and totally outside of any major government control, especially the Imperium. I am not sure if I will stick with Jump Drive or not, as I might use one of the alternate drives of Mongoose. Then again, I may simply use Piper's hyperspace drive, along with Abott Lift and Drive engines, and direct conversion of Nuclear to Electric energy.

Not sure about the last, but if you took a Black Globe field, use it focused inward around a critical mass of either Uranium or Plutonium, you have the field absorbing all of the energy generated and then sending it to a large battery bank which in turn supplies power to whatever you want.

Figuring out the energy requirements to move ships drives you to Gigawatt Power Plants.

. . . direct conversion of Nuclear to Electric energy.

Not sure about the last, but if you took a Black Globe field, use it focused inward around a critical mass of either Uranium or Plutonium, you have the field absorbing all of the energy generated and then sending it to a large battery bank which in turn supplies power to whatever you want.

Now THAT is a clever idea . . . :)

I am working on what I call the Norton-Piper Sector, set to the Rimward of Terra, and totally outside of any major government control, especially the Imperium. I am not sure if I will stick with Jump Drive or not, as I might use one of the alternate drives of Mongoose. Then again, I may simply use Piper's hyperspace drive, along with Abott Lift and Drive engines, and direct conversion of Nuclear to Electric energy.

Figuring out the energy requirements to move ships drives you to Gigawatt Power Plants.

Whoa.

Now as far as HG2/Striker is concerned, since 250MW = 1 EP, 4 EP and up power plants are already gigawatt plants (although gigawatt constant is a :CoW:).

But yes at a certain point that should be a ridiculously efficient power source.

Heh, I just had a horrible thought- instead of a constant fission source, put a nuclear warhead in there with a timer, turn on the encasing BG, detonation powers a spinal weapon that otherwise is mounted on a ship that could not power it.

Takes bomb-pumped weapons to a whole new level.

That sounds like something out of a Lensman novel...

consider it stolen for forbidden science of the second Imperium :)

Last edited:
Wouldn't the Black Globe generator be at the center of a black globe, not external to it...?

Wouldn't the Black Globe generator be at the center of a black globe, not external to it...?

Yeah. At TLF, BGs are cutting edge rebuilt from Ancient tech. General availability at TLG+. The energy would need to be from inside if alternated but there is no way to suspend anything in it. Its not used planet side because it cannot come in contact with anything. Now, they might be able to pull off and Orion ship. Setoff the nuke outside and let it absorb the energy.

In My Traveller Universe, Black Globe Fields work a bit differently. I use the term "Black Globe" to mean a field capable of absorbing energy and converting it to electrical output. Said field can be generated and controlled through a variety of means.

Sounds like some interesting work on Black Globes... that wouldn't be a perpetual motion machine would it ?

I redid my site menus, and drew up regions/empires, etc. Starting to spread out the planet drawings so more areas are covered. The menus are now setup to direct to each nation/empire, rather than galaxy arm and sector.

Profantasy came out with a Annual issue that lets me draw old-style Chinese/Japanese area drawings. I'll be using this to draw maps for my Classic Japan Empire. Well, loosely based on that GURPS book.

Hopefully they will do an issue for Roman type maps... so I can make maps for that Empire. Slaves in this Empire are robots.

I redid my site menus, and drew up regions/empires, etc. Starting to spread out the planet drawings so more areas are covered. The menus are now setup to direct to each nation/empire, rather than galaxy arm and sector.

Profantasy came out with a Annual issue that lets me draw old-style Chinese/Japanese area drawings. I'll be using this to draw maps for my Classic Japan Empire. Well, loosely based on that GURPS book.

Hopefully they will do an issue for Roman type maps... so I can make maps for that Empire. Slaves in this Empire are robots.

Interesting work on a YTU map JimMarn. I haven't seen anyone try to take profantasy and go interactive.

Fun fact: I first learned about Traveller when I saw it mentioned on Profantasy's website. :p

Sounds like some interesting work on Black Globes... that wouldn't be a perpetual motion machine would it ?

Not really, as I have the collector screen for the Annic Nova as a controlled "Black Globe" field. Think of the reactor as high output radioisotope thermal generator, using PU-239 instead of PU-238.

For more of my ideas, see the following thread. Now that I am no longer banned, I will go back to work on it.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=34167

Interstellar Coalition of worlds

I recently just created a setting set a few thousand years in the future in a subsector I drew up called the Agweedo Rim. There is no Imperium there is a loose militarily aligned Central Government that over sees human space. The Interstellar Coalition of Worlds (ICW) which is controlled by The concepts of a document called The Interstellar Creed and Military Governorships that oversee regions of Interstellar space.

Here it Is

Interstellar Coalition of Worlds (ICW)

The Interstellar Coalition of Worlds is more like a powerful military industrial complex. It is ran by a massive Senate and a unique elite Council. World's as a whole govern themselves as they see fit especially further away from the core world's. Worlds pay dues or taxes to the ICW. They have Senate representation▮ from various regions based on population and stature . Region Governors, and military leaders manage their areas of space based on the guidelines of The Interstellar Creed. The Creed is the bible that helps keep the ICW power on the same page regardless of distance. There job is to protect humanity as a whole and the other sentients under the umbrella. Entire wars and conflicts exist all over interstellar space. The ICW does not interfere in most cases unless it is a direct threat on interstellar society or there is a very strong need. There goal is to protect against an advanced sentient threat, rebellion or elite investments that are crucial to the powerful members of The Elite Senate Naval and Scout infrastructure.
So in general Humanity as a whole has not changed in some ways it is still as potentially corrupt and power motivated as it always was through out Human History

The Interstellar Creed

The Interstellar Creed is very serious document of immense proportions. This document is a living document similar to The constitution and Bill of rights. It outlines the priorities of The ICW in great detail and its goal of strength power, protecting humanity and other minor sentient species that live under the umbrella of its government. ICW Region Governors and military leaders are expected to follow the creed in detail in any regards. Lack of regard to the creed by ICW leaders can be considered treason punishable by life imprisonment or death. The Creed is what keeps the ICW functioning over such incredible vast communication distances.

A brief history and introduction

The Greys are real and a part of the Interstellar Coalition of Worlds. Which is a lose Military Political Allegiance of independent nation states, sentients and mega corporations ruled by a unique Senate on one of the Core worlds. I haven't worked out all of the details yet.
Humanity has taken a dominant roll among space.▮
The greys have had jump technology for a few hundred years prior to Humanity but there technology is based on Psionic Amplifier computers instead of Machine computers and do to increasing psionic psyche static they were growing frail and weak and beginning to die off. So for many years in secret they abducted humans from Earth. Trying to develop a hybrid race of themselves immune to the intelligent life static. The Greys communicate by natural telepathy and have grav/Jump Drive vehicles powered by fusion and psionic amplifier computers. A unique technology is that the Grey Navigators who have been trained in teleportation can completely teleport there ships on an interplanetary in system level they are the only race capable of doing this. There weakness is they do not have a stomach for war or violence. Humanity also with powerful psionic untapped capabilities and a source of the static that was killing the greys discovered reactionless gravity technology and jump drives soon branched to the stars and there first contact was with the Greys. Human Scientists helped to develop an energy field which kept the Grey home world free from Psionic static allowing the race to flourish peacefully again. Something they would not have been capable of developing without human help. The Greys being Navigators warned Humanity about crossing the claw shaped rift region spinward coreward of Sol.▮

Humanity of course did not listen and poked a true hornets nest when they came into contact with The Draconians a Reptilian psionically inept warful race. War soon followed on a grand scale The Draconians pursued forward destroying The Human Coreward colonies. The Loose Nation States of Humanity formed an alliance and began to build▮ a fleet of incredible Naval vessels. With the help of the Greys Navigator teleport drives. Humanity never willing to settle for less pushed the Reptilian race backward and forced them to negotiate a surrender peace treaty. The series of Interstellar wars raged on from beginning to end over 100 years. The Caste system Draconian Empire had been taken to its knees.
The Draconian Empire is far Coreward Spinward of The Agweedo Rim Subsector. One of the common themes IMTU is that life is thriving wherever it can as it is in the OTU. There are numerous minor lower tech races, There are Human Mutants, Animal Uplifts. There may also be a Rimward threat of a new Major race that has not been discovered yet. The Agweedo Rim Subsector is far removed from The Draconians, Greys and Coreworlds. Humanity has dominated the Stars expanded and colonized at incredible speeds. Under the ICW constitution worlds are allowed to completely govern themselves however they see fit having armies, system defense boats etc. They have to hold Allegiance to The ICW Naval Fleet and Scout Corp.

The teleport technology is anywhere in system on an interplanetary level. Planet to planet orbit to orbit etc... Only the Greys can do this. They have computers that are psionics amplifiers. There is no diameter requirements for mass mind teleportation. They only work with psionic Greys connected with a mind meld to the drives. Jump drive still works mechanically the same but the psion Greys mind creates the generation and navigation through the amplifier technology.
The static is mass combined human psionic energy. Yes humans have incredible psionic energy in most cases. It is untapped and has only recently been discovered through the Greys. The Greys lack technical machine thinking computers. The static is human created and has crossed interstellar barriers over time to negatively affect the Greys. The Draconians have no real psionics ability.
Official contact with humanity and there unique technology brought about the discovery of the psi shield and the psionics dampering energy field. A network of satellites invented with combined human/grey technology, diminish universal psyche energy surrounding greyworld and the other grey colony world's. Hybrid Greys have the immunity to static already built into them. Hybrid Grey - genetically engineered human grey blend race which was first established in the 1950's Human Common Era. The Grey Hybrids are capable of violence, natural vocal chord and telepathy communication. Technology plugging in and running psionics amplifier computers but not at the level of mass teleportation. Only natural Grey Navigators hold that capability. Hybrid Greys still lack the pure aggression of Humanity or Draconians.▮
I have more Aliens to add. A timeline and history to create.▮ The Agweedo Rim subsector is far away from the coreworlds and Greys. It is even double as far from the Draconian Empire. So chance of running into Draconians out here would be rare. Greys and Grey Hybrids would also be rare but could possibly be found in ICW Scout or Naval facilities. The + symbol on the subsector map indicates a sentient home world

Not really, as I have the collector screen for the Annic Nova as a controlled "Black Globe" field. Think of the reactor as high output radioisotope thermal generator, using PU-239 instead of PU-238.

For more of my ideas, see the following thread. Now that I am no longer banned, I will go back to work on it.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=34167

Ah, okay. I sort of understand the radioisotope electrical generators used on deep space probes.

And thats the most responses I've had from one posting in a long time.

Interesting work on a YTU map JimMarn. I haven't seen anyone try to take profantasy and go interactive.

Of course, the big problem will be as I add more and more sectors to the site.

I've been using Irfanview to reduce the Color Depth of the png map files from 256 to 202. Not much, but it drops the size of my png map files from around 720-770 megs to 275-280 megs per file. Certainly lowered the site requirements for total file sizes. The map look doesn't appear to change much either.

Of course, the big problem will be as I add more and more sectors to the site.

I've been using Irfanview to reduce the Color Depth of the png map files from 256 to 202. Not much, but it drops the size of my png map files from around 720-770 megs to 275-280 megs per file. Certainly lowered the site requirements for total file sizes. The map look doesn't appear to change much either.

As a pioneer on this trek you should do a thread, later on, with your findings.
Under software, i collected all the Traveller/useful space websites people used for gaming. We don't have enough discussions around what people do to make those Traveller tools successful. We tend to hash rules and canon, or a new monster that is the worst terror in the universe.:rofl:

There we're a few threads on how to build starship deck plans but i think that is as far as it went. And in the past, Galactic and Heaven and Earth we're discussed which I've used. I still, enjoy, doing bitmap "map" graphics, but it's not a useful direction for my time.

Ah, okay. I sort of understand the radioisotope electrical generators used on deep space probes.

And thats the most responses I've had from one posting in a long time.

Actually, one of the big headaches in creating your Own Traveller Universe is how closely do you stay to the established Traveller canon, and how much to you toss out. Then, for what you toss out, you have to create your own replacement material. Presently, I am about halfway between the two, using some Traveller canon material, mainly from the Little Black Books/Traveller-Starter Edition/The Traveller Book, and then creating a lot of my own material. That is were using the idea of the energy-absorbing "Black Globe Field" to get me to Piper/s direct conversion of nuclear energy to electrical energy, albeit in not so compact a form. No nuclear-electric flashlight batteries.

As a pioneer on this trek you should do a thread, later on, with your findings.
Under software, i collected all the Traveller/useful space websites people used for gaming. We don't have enough discussions around what people do to make those Traveller tools successful. We tend to hash rules and canon, or a new monster that is the worst terror in the universe.:rofl:

There we're a few threads on how to build starship deck plans but i think that is as far as it went. And in the past, Galactic and Heaven and Earth we're discussed which I've used. I still, enjoy, doing bitmap "map" graphics, but it's not a useful direction for my time.

I can make a tutorial for the Irfanview thing on my web site.

I did come up with a new race, The Alago. They look human, but with wings. If the wings work, they don't use them in front of others. Not much detail yet.

http://travellergame.drivein-jim.net/articles/677/alien-race-5-the-alago

I've drawn a free trader and a ship's boat.

I had planned on making a battleship with Profantasy's software, but finding time to work on it is a bit of a problem.

Back