• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Introducing TravellerWorlds

OjnoTheRed

SOC-13
Marquis
I have finally, FINALLY updated the Traveller5 World Builder. It was May 2019 for the last update.

I have left the old version where it was: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonoreita/T5 World Map Generator/t5_world_builder.html

It still works, and I won't take it down. So use it if you like it and are used to it.

BUT I think you'll like the new version better. You can find it at:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonoreita/TravellerWorlds/

It randomly generates a system / map from the Spinward Marches when you go there.

You can go to the 'Generate' menu to generate a new star system, pulling in data from TravellerMap, OR inputting your own data OR randomly generate data for a system. I have asked inexorabletash to update TravellerMap to take you to the new site instead of Traveller5 World Builder.

Explore the menus and let me know what you think. I may publish a YouTube demo video (one of the skills I picked up as a teacher in lockdown) as a general orientation, and if you guys like them, do further short videos highlighting particular features.

Check out the new 'Your Preferences' part where you can make the map colours any colour you like! Hot pink oceans! Sickly green mountains! Flourescent Yellow clear terrain! But, rest assured, you can always hit the 'reset' button to return to the default values.

If you are interested, the code can be found at https://github.com/OjnoTheRed/T5-World-Builder

Constructive criticism and feedback is welcome. Don't like the placement of options in the menu system? Let me know. Would you like further options? Features I had not thought of? Put it on my to-do list!

Awesome!

While a planet map can not be currently generated for an asteroid belt, Would it be possible to get system maps for those systems?

In our group we usually generate the extra system details before doing specific planet details anyway.

A tutorial would be useful, for me at least. Also, is it possible to generate maps for worlds that are not part of the Spinward Marches? I also assume that changing the map seed changes the map as well for the same world.

Awesome!

While a planet map can not be currently generated for an asteroid belt, Would it be possible to get system maps for those systems?

In our group we usually generate the extra system details before doing specific planet details anyway.

You are in for a surprise. Hover over the "View" menu and select "Full Star System." You can generate maps and further details for any world in the system by using the "Details" buttons next to each world. You can also name all the objects and adjust their orbits (I generally do this to put those Ag worlds into orbits where they can actually grow crops rather than watch them freeze or burn).

A tutorial would be useful, for me at least. Also, is it possible to generate maps for worlds that are not part of the Spinward Marches? I also assume that changing the map seed changes the map as well for the same world.

Yes - consider a tutorial in the pipeline. I was thinking towards this anyway, and I've started doing this for work as a teacher; a simple screen demo with accompanying description will be forthcoming. I'll keep it around 3 minutes pointing out the major features.

One of the drawbacks to putting everything into menus is you need to guide people towards the different options because they are all buried in menus.

It certainly can generate worlds other than the Spinward Marches. It does this by default so as to demonstrate the capabilities of the generator.

It's real use is in going from TravellerMap where you select a system, expand the system pop-up in the top left corner and then choose the 'Generate Map' link down the bottom.

OR you can go to the "Generate" menu and select "new star system". This gives you the option of generating or entering your own data OR selecting a sector and system from the Travellermap library and the details will be populated for you.

I will put these options in the tutorial

Merry Christmas to MEEEEEE!!!

I mean... everyone.

Seriously, your site has made a lot of projects possible. And this upgrade is just a cherry on top! Thanks!

Merry Christmas to MEEEEEE!!!

I mean... everyone.

Seriously, your site has made a lot of projects possible. And this upgrade is just a cherry on top! Thanks!

LOL. Yes, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to ... everyone.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm continuing to develop it and I will also be posting more tutorial videos (see the "Help" item under the "View" menu).

Tell you what, I just might.

And just so I can get way over my head and prove myself still crazy after all these years, does FFE accept submissions, and if so, what's the favored Traveller version?

I don't know if Marc is accepting submissions, per se... but for FFE, it's T5.
For mongoose, it's MgT 2E.
For non-OTU, its Cepheus Engine or MgT2, depending upon which open license one wants to use.

Each has pros and cons.

Ojno, this is damn impressive! I am a bit puzzled by the temperatures though, so many worlds seem to have minus 200°C or plus 200°C average temperatures that it is a wonder they are populated or can support life. How do you calculate these temperatures ?

Found a glitch, or at least a change.

The "old version" had a "mainworld is a satellite" checkbox. The new version does not.

This is a problem for Collace (Spinward Marches 1237), as the default seed derived from the Travellermap data makes it a gas giant's satellite. In canon, it not only is not a satellite, it has at least one moon.

It is also a problem for Trexalon (Spinward Marches 1339), which at least in the alternate version presented in the wiki, IS a gas giant's satellite. In the new version, it's merely tidally-locked to its star.

Found a glitch, or at least a change.

The "old version" had a "mainworld is a satellite" checkbox. The new version does not.

This is a problem for Collace (Spinward Marches 1237), as the default seed derived from the Travellermap data makes it a gas giant's satellite. In canon, it not only is not a satellite, it has at least one moon.

It is also a problem for Trexalon (Spinward Marches 1339), which at least in the alternate version presented in the wiki, IS a gas giant's satellite. In the new version, it's merely tidally-locked to its star.

You can still force this question by going to View > User Preferences and altering this value. Remember, too, this is a random generator and does not refer to detail in the Canon, it merely draws values in from Traveller Map.

You can still force this question by going to View > User Preferences and altering this value. Remember, too, this is a random generator and does not refer to detail in the Canon, it merely draws values in from Traveller Map.

Excellent! Didn't see that when I was poking around -- very cool. The page is an incredibly useful tool.

I expected it was procedural-random off travmap, and can't imagine how you could bring in stuff from the travwiki in the first place.

And thanks for the amazingly quick response! It's almost 0200 PST (UTC -8) here... :)

Thanks heaps Grav_Moped. It's great to hear you love the tool.

Just for some context on my random generator comment: I've had feedback in the past where users say the generator is no good because it doesn't produce 'canon' data, although it doesn't pretend to. Thanks heaps for understanding what it does.

In this iteration I've changed the layout and user experience a lot to improve the usability, assuming the default use is to use the links from TravellerMap. But it does mean features get buried a bit in menus. I've got a 'help' item in there with a couple of video links, and I'll be adding to that library to help users out. I might make the help link more prominent and put it in the bar.

It's funny with timezones - I got the email notification of a reply to the thread at 8:15pm Friday (my time) and I happened to be online. Anything to do with TravellerWorlds gets my immediate attention - obviously it's a passion. At other times, obviously, posts and messages are coming when I'm fast asleep.

Lastly - hey, cool user name. I can't get that image out of my head.

Back