• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Is it time for Jump-7 drives in Traveller?

Is it time for Jump-7 drives in Traveller?

• Jump-7 drive technology cannot be had soon enough

Votes: 80 37.9%
  • Jump-6 drives do not need further improvement

Votes: 131 62.1%

• Total voters
Extended tech level warefare advice

At TL 7 Sir! We have the enemy on our scope!
At TL 8 Sir! We have missile guidance lock!
At TL 9 Sir! Alice says “Launch Now”!
At TL 10 Sir! Alice launched a strike! Enemy Alice launched Nanotech counter strike!
At TL 11 Sir! Alice advises MPFEW Strike! (Man Portable Fusion Energy Weapon)
At TL 12 Sir! Alice advises MPAMW Strike! (Man Portable Anti-Matter Weapon)

[FONT=arial,helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]
Chuck Anumia: said:
[/FONT]

At TL 7 Sir! We have the enemy on our scope!
At TL 8 Sir! We have missile guidance lock!
At TL 9 Sir! Alice says “Launch Now”!
At TL 10 Sir! Alice launched a strike! Enemy Alice launched Nanotech counter strike!
At TL 11 Sir! Alice advises MPFEW Strike! (Man Portable Fusion Energy Weapon)
At TL 12 Sir! Alice advises MPAMW Strike! (Man Portable Anti-Matter Weapon)

[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]At TL 17 Sir! Alice [/FONT]is wondering why we are on the ship in the first place!

OK, why did these get merged?

Anyway, this fascination with ever-higher TLs is strange - I prefer to keep my Traveller around the TL11-13 range.

This! What is with you people?

/Snips/

Anyway, this fascination with ever-higher TLs is strange - I prefer to keep my Traveller around the TL11-13 range.
No, BlackBat is you oldersters thinking that space adventure should be like the Apollo missions, but with a bit of an upgrade. :p That is strange, that strangulation of accessibility of high tech. You now, it won't hurt...unless you ask it to, but what two beings do...

Seriously, what I never and still do not get is this It Must Be Piperesque vibe that seems to predominate Traveller. Sure, that stuff was/is nice, but I want more tech, higher tech, more aliens, not a human centric universe where it seems like the Frontier is wherever Players happen to go, lest they get high tech goodies.

Oh, and Hells yeah, Traveller needs upgraded goodies like Hop and Skip and even for the semi-purist Jump-7.

Last edited:
Apollo and its new fangled rocketry.

In my day we had giant cannon firing manned capsules to the moon...

Last edited:

Im my day we had giant cannon firing manned capsules to the moon...

You had cannons?! We had to make do with feathered wings held together with wax!
You just couldn't fly too close to the sun . . .

Last edited:
You had cannons?! We had to make do with feathered wings held together with wax!
You just couldn't fly too close to the sun . . .

You had feathered wings?! We had to make do with sun-boats made of liftwood -- er, I mean papyrus reeds...

In my day we had giant cannon firing manned capsules to the moon...

You mean like this?

This came from a collection of newspapers (San Francisco Examiner, Salt Lake Telegraph, & Ogden (Ut) Standard-Examiner) from 1927 & 1928:

1928Venusspacemission_zps2b28b51e.jpg

Simply said, technology will evolve at the rate that makes such profitable, hence J-7 drive would speed the wheels of commerce.

The military will always have the newest shiny toys, it takes an application in the private sector-commercial market to bring such there.

Best example, Velcro.

Simply said, technology will evolve at the rate that makes such profitable, hence J-7 drive would speed the wheels of commerce.

The military will always have the newest shiny toys, it takes an application in the private sector-commercial market to bring such there.

Best example, Velcro.
Given the standard percentages...

Command Systems 2%
Jfuel 10% * Jn
JDrive (1+Jn)%
PP (Jn)% or more.
PP Fuel (Jn)% or more

You're looking at a TL16 J7 ship being 95% or more non-payload. (≤5% cargo/passengers/weapons). And it's got to be no less than 500Td to have a payload at all... (And that's a 4 Td payload with no MD.)

A TL17 one is going to be (due to Antimatter PP) smaller - around 1% PP Fuel and PP, so maybe 15-19% payload.

Not certain to whom this may be attributed but to paraphrase such, 'one unit will be infinitely costly, say hundreds if not thousands of identical units so produced will be profitable'.

Not certain to whom this may be attributed but to paraphrase such, 'one unit will be infinitely costly, say hundreds if not thousands of identical units so produced will be profitable'.

Production costs aren't the issue - That J7 uses 78% of hull for the drive and fuel alone, before anything else needed, and requires a P7 PP at 7% of hull...
That's 85% of hull gone before anything else.

While J6 uses 73%
J5 uses 61%
J4 uses 49%
J3 uses 37%
J2 uses 25%
J1 uses 13%

J8, for reference, uses 97% - leaving no room for payload after adding requisite control spaces.

It's like the concorde - it operated at a loss, when it operated, as a prestige matter, but the additional speed came at such a cost as to prevent profitable use.

Production costs aren't the issue - That J7 uses 78% of hull for the drive and fuel alone, before anything else needed, and requires a P7 PP at 7% of hull...
That's 85% of hull gone before anything else.

While J6 uses 73%
J5 uses 61%
J4 uses 49%
J3 uses 37%
J2 uses 25%
J1 uses 13%

J8, for reference, uses 97% - leaving no room for payload after adding requisite control spaces.

It's like the concorde - it operated at a loss, when it operated, as a prestige matter, but the additional speed came at such a cost as to prevent profitable use.

A very expensive courier network - which would work best with (controversial as always) drop tanks.

Back