• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

JTAS CD-ROM Issues, Take #1

Here's what I've put together so far:

(see first post for update)

Last edited:
JTAS19, JTAS20, JTAS22 all look ok as-is
JTAS21 looks ok, though the covers of the missile supplement appear to be scaled differently than the rest of the content.
JTAS23 has poor scans of the even numbered pages, the text fades off on the right, should be rescanned.

Further Issues

Challenge 28:
pg. 28-12 is fuzzy, should be rescanned.
pg. 28-22 is blank, looks like it should be the second half of an Amber Zone Double Feature.

My JTAS CD doesn't have any of the Best of... files on it, so I won't be able to review them. I suppose the fact that they aren't there would be an issue if they were intended to be.

Challenge 29: There appear to be numerous gaps in the material of the feature A Decade of Traveller, pp29-5 through 29-9. It may be art, headlines, I'm not sure. I've got several empty outline boxes on my copy, and the article itself appears incomplete, so I don't think it's omitted ads or whatever. Also, pg. 29-26 is blank.

Last edited:
Challenge 30, 31

A couple more:

Challenge 30: Tables for Police ("There When You Need Them") aren't OCRed. Otherwise OK.

Challenge 31: pg. 24 is blank. All else appears OK.

Challenge 32-35 look fine.
Challenge 36 has a blank page appended, and the first two pieces of art in "The Green Hills of Earth" look pretty low contrast. I don't know if the condition of the originals would allow a better scan or not.

Also, it looks like you may have missed the following in your update, Don:

JTAS19, JTAS20, JTAS22 all look ok as-is
JTAS21 looks ok, though the covers of the missile supplement appear to be scaled differently than the rest of the content.
JTAS23 has poor scans of the even numbered pages, the text fades off on the right, should be rescanned.

Easy enough to do with the piecemeal reports I've posted.

Finally, I gave my CD a thorough check and found no signs of any Best of... issues on it.

I just got JTAS CD today from Marc.

Best of JTAS 1: no issues visible.
Best of JTAS 2: 2-page spread (p24-25) means one can't booklet print it.
Best of JTAS 3: no visible issues
Best of JTAS 4: no visible issues

JTAS 1: still has double p16's, and p16 has (both images) some piece of paper covering something up. Still has hilighter marks.

In fact, a comment on the number of 2p spreads: they make use of an ebook reader difficult as well. My primary purpose for the CT and JTAS CD's was (1) to be able to put that collection on my ebook reader and (2) to have access to the few CT and majority of JTAS issues I lacked. Note the order.

Without editing the PDF, I can not access the 2p spread in any useful manner on my PRS505. (The PRS600 is less crippled by it, but it still is awkward, since in normal orientation (Reader in portrait orientation), it "fits to page" and in sideways orientation, it fits to width. On a 2p spread, that means in normal mode, it shows as a 3.5" wide, 2" tall image, and in sideways mode, 4.5" wide, 3" tall...)

The solution is to put the individual half-page images in place in line, and put the 2p spreads in the back of the file.

Oh, and none of the PDFs work unedited on the PRS600 (except HG'79, which MWM sent me separately!)

Last edited:
I received an email from Mr. Miller today:

Mr. Miller said:
I am unaware of any missing pages in the Journals on our disk. If someone would tell me, I would be able to make sure.

Perhaps we should let him know about the issues relating to the JTAS disk. (I assumed he already knew.) Or, have these issues already been resolved in recent pressings ("burnings"?) of the disk? Can someone confirm or refute this?

I received an email from Mr. Miller today:

Perhaps we should let him know about the issues relating to the JTAS disk. (I assumed he already knew.) Or, have these issues already been resolved in recent pressings ("burnings"?) of the disk? Can someone confirm or refute this?

He's aware of the list here. He forwarded your mail to him to me, asking if I had them on my list, which of course is the list in the first post, which is what you sent him.

:rofl:

He's aware of the list here. He forwarded your mail to him to me, asking if I had them on my list, which of course is the list in the first post, which is what you sent him.

:rofl:

And yet he wrote that he was not aware of any issues. :confused:

I will hold off buying the CD until this sad state of affairs is sorted out. :nonono:

Things I'm not seeing reflected in the first post at present:
JTAS19.pdf: needs review.
JTAS20.pdf: needs review.
JTAS21.pdf: needs review.
JTAS22.pdf: needs review.
JTAS23.pdf: needs review.
covered in post 22
Challenge32.pdf: needs review.
Challenge33.pdf: needs review.
Challenge34.pdf: needs review.
Challenge35.pdf: needs review.
Challenge36.pdf: needs review.
covered in post 27
Don, thanks again for compiling the list. Any news on updated disks?

Wil, glad you got the Best of... files on your disk.

Has the JTAS CD-ROM ever been updated with these notes?

I'd really like to purchase it since I don't have issues 1-3 or the Challenge issues, but I want one that has had these problems corrected.

Not that I've heard. We got an updated CT CD, but then T5 sort of took over. Perhaps some attention will come back this way again, now.

And yet he wrote that he was not aware of any issues. :confused:

I will hold off buying the CD until this sad state of affairs is sorted out. :nonono:

Well it's been about 4 years since I wrote that. It would be great to finally be able to buy a corrected disk. If I had the hardcopies I'd volunteer with this project, but I've never had access to the HC pubs back in the day. :(

Well it's been about 4 years since I wrote that. It would be great to finally be able to buy a corrected disk. If I had the hardcopies I'd volunteer with this project, but I've never had access to the HC pubs back in the day. :(

Had not noticed this thread before. I have issues 7-24 all in good condition, and have a scanner. If it would help for me to rescan certain pages and email them to Marc (or to DonM) I would be happy to do so.

Greetings, Don. I just noticed that the JTAS Number 2 separately and the JTAS 1-24 collection I purchased on DriveThru is missing Page 26. Is this available somewhere else. I do have a hard copy of the JTAS as well, so it is not critical.

Back