• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

New Patent of Nobility

Which brings up an alternative possibility for actual gaming: If you are dealing with characters at Noble Rank (either during CharGen or during play) who receive a "bump-up" of +1 Soc for some reason, you could reward them with an additional lesser title or additional knighthood (in an Order that they are not already a member) and keep their Social Standing the same instead of giving them the +1.

Thanks Wayne,

that's a REALLY good idea, I like it and find a way to use it IMTU

Kind Regards

David

Still cool. So the question is did you request it or is marking giving out awards in addition to nobility. Either way it's a good thing.

I have an [FONT=arial,helvetica]"MCG - For Conspicuous Gallantry in The Assault on Dinomn".

I got it along with a Barony & Marquisate when I upgraded my Moot-membership to Count (because all of the Counties and most of the Viscountcies were already given out). At the time, Marc had said he had given very few of them out.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I have an [FONT=arial,helvetica]"MCG - For Conspicuous Gallantry in The Assault on Dinomn".

I got it along with a Barony & Marquisate when I upgraded my Moot-membership to Count (because all of the Counties and most of the Viscountcies were already given out). At the time, Marc had said he had given very few of them out.
[/FONT]

Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation.
I think its very, very cool.

:coffeegulp:

Received a new patent of nobility, a knight's holding on Mukiud in the Reft Sector on the border with the Deneb Sector. It is my fourth elevation to the Order as a Knight of Deneb. My power base has definately shifted to spinward; do I need to change the family motto?

Last edited:
Excellent! Thank you!

I've been working on a spreadsheet detailing the characteristics of the worlds on which I have holdings. Most are thin or tainted. This respirator is leaving a rash.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly why, but I made a google spreadsheet of every noble patent I could find mentioned in the old Patents of Nobility thread.

It is open to be edited by anyone - or take the data and put in in the traveller wiki, or whatever. I can't promise I'll be able to keep it updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mRGZE7RZZJrchoaudEX9-wXeZTTJves6ohYiigK2STU/edit?usp=sharing

Great Work! I have been wanting something like this for a while. You got all of mine, and I will make a couple of additions that I know of later.

If it serves for completness, I was created Marquis of Ashtagz Tyui (Solomani Rim 1818) by the Emperor.

Order of Deneb

Hi all,

I'm now a Knight of Deneb: Saurus (SM 1320).

According to the Wiki, the "Order of Deneb has never been used, as no Archduke of Deneb has ever been named."

GURPS provide information on this Order but I'm not aware of a solution in other timelines.

How do you handle this? Any ideas?

Greetings
Dennis
Baron Renu, Knight of Dawru and Saurus

Hi all,

I'm now a Knight of Deneb: Saurus (SM 1320).

According to the Wiki, the "Order of Deneb has never been used, as no Archduke of Deneb has ever been named."

GURPS provide information on this Order but I'm not aware of a solution in other timelines.

How do you handle this? Any ideas?

Greetings
Dennis
Baron Renu, Knight of Dawru and Saurus

My suggestion would be a minor retcon as follows:

The moment the Domain of Deneb was established in 589 by Empress Jacqueline, the Domain (as well as the Order of Deneb) officially existed (even though there was no Archduke yet appointed). In the absence of an appointed Archduke, the title of Archduke lay with the Imperial Throne until such time as an Emperor/Empress chose to invest said title in another individual. The coup of Olav I caused future Emperors to think twice about appointing another Archduke (and in fact they began to limit the powers of the existing Archdukes as well), but the title of Archduke of Deneb still existed and lay with the Emperor him/herself. (i.e. a title that is extinct or in abeyance reverts to the crown).

That being the case, until the formal appointment of an actual Archduke, the sitting Emperor or Empress has both the right and authority to elevate Knights and Baronets into the Order of Deneb as defacto Archduke of Deneb, until such time as the title is formally conferred upon another.

That being the case, until the formal appointment of an actual Archduke, the sitting Emperor or Empress has both the right and authority to elevate Knights and Baronets into the Order of Deneb as defacto Archduke of Deneb, until such time as the title is formally conferred upon another.
A most elegant solution to the question, says a Knight of Deneb, and one that should have historical precedents. I can see some Archdukes viewing this as an Imperial infringement on their prerogatives and grumbling about the legitimacy of the Order giving rise to the confusion. Receiving the honor directly from the hand of the Emperor serves to make the members of the Order more fiercely loyal and bound directly to the Imperium.

Last edited:
Back