• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

New Patent of Nobility

Not sure exactly why, but I made a google spreadsheet of every noble patent I could find mentioned in the old Patents of Nobility thread.

It is open to be edited by anyone - or take the data and put in in the traveller wiki, or whatever. I can't promise I'll be able to keep it updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mRGZE7RZZJrchoaudEX9-wXeZTTJves6ohYiigK2STU/edit?usp=sharing

Nice. I did all of the Corridor sector nobles after the T5 release. You took it much further.

Of course, the kickstarter is another source. There will be many non-members of COTI that supported T5.

That's on them. :)

My interest was/is not in documenting all the titles MM has given out - that's up to him - but to have a list of named nobles in the area that could be used for whatever purpose. For instance, your PCs are in an area and they want to know who the biggest local noble is. Maybe they're in Arden and notice that Viscount Phlume, Evan Sampson is there. Stuff like that.

T5 - Orders of Knighthood & Peerage

I had begun a list of T5 Patent-Card Knightly & Noble Orders back on the "[FONT=arial,helvetica]Patent of Nobility Card (where are you?)" Thread (between Post #517-537). Based on Bloo's Spreadsheet, it looks like the following orders have been given out by Marc so far (as of August 2015): [/FONT]

Orders of Knighthood:

Honourable Order (Knight) of the Emperor's Guard
Honourable Order (Knight) of the Arrow
Order (Knight) of Starship & Crown
Order (Knight) of the Iridium Throne [ - exclusive to Core Sector - ]
Order (Knight) of the Third Imperium
Order (Knight) of the Empire

Ancient Order (Knight) of Vland
Order (Knight) of the Gateway
Order (Knight) of Deneb

Order (Knight) of Fornast
Order (Knight) of the Solomani Rim
Order (Knight) of the Spinward Marches

Order (Knight) of the White Star
Peer Titles:

<Peer Title> of the Moot

<Peer Title> of Corridor
<Peer Title> of the Imperial Core
<Peer Title> of the Solomani Rim
<Peer Title> of the Spinward Marches
<Peer Title> of the Third Imperium

"Peer of the Empire"

Added that list of orders as well as the 50 KB and the peer titles system in a new sheet called "Orders".

Added that list of orders as well as the 50 KB and the peer titles system in a new sheet called "Orders".

I noticed you have listed on the "Orders" list also some of those Orders which are in Canon, but have not yet been given out to anyone.

The following are additional Canonical Orders (though there are no known T5 Patent Cards yet with those assignments) that you may wish to include:

Order of Muan Gwi (for loyal Vegan citizens)
Order of Eerynaaia (for loyal Luriani citizens)
Order of the Emperor's Household (Imperial Family and loyal close retainers)
Order of the Cross of Arlea (Milieu:0 order for the "secret inner circle" of the early Imperial "steering committee" under Cleon I)

Also, those Knighthoods with no order listed would likely be either "Knights Bachelor" (if granted Imperially or Archducally) or "Knights Retainer" (if granted by a Subsector Duke to a member of his retinue of personal retainers). (Or perhaps Knights Retainer are merely a subset of Knights Bachelor in general).

Last edited:
I noticed you have listed on the "Orders" list also some of those Orders which are in Canon, but have not yet been given out to anyone.

The following are additional Canonical Orders (though there are no known T5 Patent Cards yet with those assignments) that you may wish to include:

Order of Muan Gwi (for loyal Vegan citizens)
Order of Eerynaaia (for loyal Luriani citizens)
Order of the Emperor's Household (Imperial Family and loyal close retainers)
Order of the Cross of Arlea (Milieu:0 order for the "secret inner circle" of the early Imperial "steering committee" under Cleon I)

Also, those Knighthoods with no order listed would likely be either "Knights Bachelor" (if granted Imperially or Archducally) or "Knights Retainer" (if granted by a Subsector Duke to a member of his retinue of personal retainers). (Or perhaps Knights Retainer are merely a subset of Knights Bachelor in general).

My all means, let's list all the canonical orders. Anyone can edit that spreadsheet. I added those you listed.

Is Knights Bachelor and Retainer in canon? They're not listed in the awarded patents, so I think those are probably best left off?

EG: My recent *SEH*.

Exactly my thought.

But I see this as an interesting change in direction. As I've always said, basic patent/award cards in limited quantities are traceable, tradable and have value. That is cool. As released with T5 they're fun but not valuable.

Hopefully, Marc with grandfather the existing cards and grow them into a new product. Certainly, getting them with COTI membership is good encouragement and has helped.

Is Knights Bachelor and Retainer in canon? They're not listed in the awarded patents, so I think those are probably best left off?

Knight Bachelor is the British term for a Knighthood awarded independent of an Order of Knighthood. It is as good a general term as any to describe those Knighthoods in the T5 Patents that do not list an Order.

The Knight Retainer concept is detailed in both T5 Cirque de Sirkas and Imperiallines #07.

From Cirque de Sirkasp.184:

Knighthood as a Ducal Honor

Knighthood may be granted by Imperial subsector dukes, but it is not the same as becoming a Knight in the Noble career path. A Knight in the Noble career path has been given a very specific title, land, and a duty to a particular planet. That form of Knighthood is confirmed by the Iridium Throne’s occupant— the Emperor or Empress.

Other forms of Knighthood exist. These are honorary titles carrying no grant of land, nor any income, nor anymore benefit than the title itself. These again are granted by the Iridium Throne, though many of those Knighted are nominated by the nobility and confirmed by the Emperor or Empress. These are often conferred in a specific Order.

Dukes may invest individuals as “retainers of the household,” a status carrying honorifics equivalent to knighthood, at least in the vicinity of the subsector. Such an individual may be referred to as a “Knight Retainer” for clarity. A male retainer of Duke Stephen of Rhylanor may thus be referred to as “Sir George, Knight Retainer of Rhylanor.” A female retainer of Duke Norris of Regina may be “Lady [or Dame] Georgette, Knight Retainer of Regina.” The shortened version for use in society pages and SignalGK messages is “Dame Georgette, KR/Regina.” Usages may vary from region to region.

Characters awarded such honors may be justifiably overawed with themselves, at least at first. They should be reminded, though, that such friendship from a Duke is not all warmth and sipping cognac on plush furniture. In fact, friendship with a Duke must be reciprocated, generally in difficult and dangerous situations, and for low pay. “I serve Norris” carries the affirmative obligation to serve. It may sometimes also open doors, but is not a guarantee of a comfortable life.

Note that a Ducal Knight Retainer may well be confirmed by the Iridium Throne as a Knight throughout the Imperium. Indeed, a Duke who creates Knights Retainer willy-nilly without nominating the majority for Imperial recognition is likely to be seen as incompetent or, worse, scheming at something seditious.

Not sure exactly why, but I made a google spreadsheet of every noble patent I could find mentioned in the old Patents of Nobility thread.

It is open to be edited by anyone - or take the data and put in in the traveller wiki, or whatever. I can't promise I'll be able to keep it updated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mRGZE7RZZJrchoaudEX9-wXeZTTJves6ohYiigK2STU/edit?usp=sharing

Hi Bloo,

missed a couple of mine I have a Knight of Deneb, with SPIN 2420 SKULL underneath and I have another Marquis - Marquis Musayid DENE 0214 MUSAYID.
My Viscount card just says VISCOUNT on the first line with the planet MOUNT underneath, whilst my Marquis SKULL card has both words on the first line as well as the planet details underneath.

On the subject of duplicate titles I tend to play in the classic era, specifically I've only run games between 1101 and 1110, I believe Savage plays in a later period, so my character could have been moved elsewhere by the time his arrives...

Kind Regards

David

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm now a Knight of Deneb: Saurus (SM 1320).
According to the Wiki, the "Order of Deneb has never been used, as no Archduke of Deneb has ever been named."

GURPS provide information on this Order but I'm not aware of a solution in other timelines. How do you handle this? Any ideas?

Greetings
Dennis
Baron Renu, Knight of Dawru and Saurus

Hi,

No OTU solution, but IMTU Princess Iphigenia was made Archduke of Vland (with control of the Corridor fleet reserve) in the honours list of 1106 and the Archduke of Vland (Ishuggi)was made Archduke of Deneb to make room for her.

Kind Regards

David

Hi,

No OTU solution, but IMTU Princess Iphigenia was made Archduke of Vland (with control of the Corridor fleet reserve) in the honours list of 1106 and the Archduke of Vland (Ishuggi)was made Archduke of Deneb to make room for her.

Kind Regards

David

Nah. I'd keep Norris in Deneb either way. Iphigenia should have access to the traditional heritage. Vland probably not. I cannot see the Emperor putting a non-Vilani over the 212th fleet, Corridor fleets and the historical heritage of Vland/Corridor.

Unless he was trying to get a long list of enemies including her. She should inherit the Archduke of Sylea title.

Hi Bloo,

missed a couple of mine I have a Knight of Deneb, with SPIN 2420 SKULL underneath and I have another Marquis - Marquis Musayid DENE 0214 MUSAYID.
My Viscount card just says VISCOUNT on the first line with the planet MOUNT underneath, whilst my Marquis SKULL card has both words on the first line as well as the planet details underneath.

Yay! Someone else already did it! That's why I shared the document so that anyone can! Any missed should be added by the missed person! Never wait for me - I often go for years without looking here.

On the subject of duplicate titles I tend to play in the classic era, specifically I've only run games between 1101 and 1110, I believe Savage plays in a later period, so my character could have been moved elsewhere by the time his arrives...

Savage asked MM about this earlier:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showpost.php?p=472157&postcount=18
There is the possibility of more than one person having the same nobility.

Perhaps you are from different era?
Perhaps the Emperor has given you each a Viscounty in hopes that one of you will raise the quality of the world and be elevated to Count?
Perhaps one is a forgery?
Perhaps this signifies eternal enmity between you and him?

I think that's a cop out to gloss over clear mistakes made in the patent card system.

IMO, that idea cannot be reconciled with the limited offer of 12 Spinward Marches duchies. Why not award 12 Duchies of Regina?

Exactly 12 Spinward Marches Duchies* were offered and all 12 were purchased. Without any qualifications about duplications, different milieus, forgeries, etc. We know 6 of them were. 2 of those are problematic: Glisten awarded twice (me and warwizard), and my receipt of Duke of Mora (conflicting with canon on the matriarchy, though arguably that could be read as "Duchess" - I don't know if any patents were issued with "Duchess" vs "Duke").

* There were also 46 other duchies ("Imperial Space Duke Edition"), 5 duchies as part of the SEH w/Diamonds reward, and 8 from the SEH /Firestones (every ship needs good tires), though there were designated "Imperial Space" edition and not "Spinward Marches".

Of course, this is all utterly meaningless fluff rewards. That's understood. But there is an opportunity to make more a shared TU, or at least communally populated TU, as a resource for referees. They're just more meaningless with the duplications and errors.

IMO, that idea cannot be reconciled with the limited offer of 12 Spinward Marches duchies. Why not award 12 Duchies of Regina?

Exactly 12 Spinward Marches Duchies* were offered and all 12 were purchased. Without any qualifications about duplications, different milieus, forgeries, etc. We know 6 of them were. 2 of those are problematic: Glisten awarded twice (me and warwizard), and my receipt of Duke of Mora (conflicting with canon on the matriarchy, though arguably that could be read as "Duchess" - I don't know if any patents were issued with "Duchess" vs "Duke").
This is why I think this thread should be in The Lone Star rather than in In the OTU. Some of the rewards conflict with what we know about the OTU. There's only five (subsector level) duchies in the Spinward Marches and we know the names of all five dukes/duchesses.

(Yes, I've heard the "Who says it's in the Classic Era?" handwave and I'm not impressed with it. I'm not going to debate it, though. If it works for you there's nothing can be said to change that. And if it doesn't work for you either, there's no reason to debate it. ;))

Hans

I think that's a cop out to gloss over clear mistakes made in the patent card system.

Yeah. Marc was pretty open to producing what we sent in. He asked for a couple explanations, did corrections but shared only format opinions. I hope he's not going to say some are forgeries after we paid for T5 and COTI. :eek:o: But i do think era's make sense, multiple nobles per world (OTU) and other options are out there like these awards. Producing specific forgery patents as COTI rewards or "for sale" could be interest, but i think it requires thought.

Rancke has a point. The new patent system is not very OTU. It's clearly T5.
Not sure if its worth debating a move though.

Marc was pretty open to producing what we sent in. . . . But i do think era's make sense, multiple nobles per world (OTU) and other options are out there like these awards. . .

Since Marc gave out most of the specific T5 Cards in question as "perks" for those who helped fund T5, I believe he pretty much gave people what they asked for. And depending on individual backers' preferred milieux, it is very likely that some of those cards can be attributed to different "eras".

Rancke has a point. The new patent system is not very OTU. It's clearly T5.
Not sure if its worth debating a move though.

Hans is right, I think. The Thread should probably be in the T5 or Lone Star Forum.

Last edited:
Since Marc gave out most of the specific T5 Cards in question as "perks" for those who helped fund T5, I believe he pretty much gave people what they asked for. And depending on individual backers' preferred milieux, it is very likely that some of those cards can be attributed to different "eras".

I asked for Wypoc/Lanth... notice what ISN'T in my sigfile...

Back