• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ooops.

Magnus von Thornwood

Super Moderator
So, I was/am watching the new Battlestar Galactica on Hulu and decided to see if I could find some info on the rank insignia and structure of the Colonial Forces. Needless to say I found a Wiki and proceeded to browse. Whilst in the CGI Ships section I found this.:eek:o:

I suspect that someone forgot which universe they were working in. Either that or they worked out the details in some version of Traveller. Hell, it's even got E-Lows.

Yeah, it is a nice ship, but for me it breaks the vibe. I can be a bit of a butt munch about continuity.

I like the picture, it doesn't have stats, but that is what Andrew's HGS is perfect for, continuity seems fine to me. The internet is goldmine of images to show players.

It has a few pointers.

I like the picture, it doesn't have stats, but that is what Andrew's HGS is perfect for, continuity seems fine to me. The internet is goldmine of images to show players.
Well, we have two Ultra-High Passage Suites at 16 tons each, 142 Mid Passage SRs at one can assume are the standard 4 tons each which has us at 600 tons already. It has to be at least Jump-1, Maneuver-1 which means a PP-1. So right now it looks to be at least 1000 tons. Not to mention it has at least 2 Shuttles with 10 E-Lows (assuming standard 95 tons each), Crew SRs and Facilities, and various amenities for the "large vacationers" (which makes me wonder, was it intended for the Virushi?).

So working off all that I would put it at 1600-2000 tons. But that is just me pulling numbers out my ass, so it's not exact or even correct, but it is a start.

EDIT: As for continuity, the only Imperium that should be extant in the BSG universe is the Cylon Empire of old. So yeah, they messed up on that page. A cool mess up, but still a glaring mistake.

Last edited:
Well, we have two Ultra-High Passage Suites at 16 tons each, 142 Mid Passage SRs at one can assume are the standard 4 tons each which has us at 600 tons already. It has to be at least Jump-1, Maneuver-1 which means a PP-1. So right now it looks to be at least 1000 tons. Not to mention it has at least 2 Shuttles with 10 E-Lows (assuming standard 95 tons each), Crew SRs and Facilities, and various amenities for the "large vacationers" (which makes me wonder, was it intended for the Virushi?).

So working off all that I would put it at 1600-2000 tons. But that is just me pulling numbers out my ass, so it's not exact or even correct, but it is a start.

EDIT: As for continuity, the only Imperium that should be extant in the BSG universe is the Cylon Empire of old. So yeah, they messed up on that page. A cool mess up, but still a glaring mistake.

The King Richard is 5000 tons and 188 passengers and 18 low berths, so that liner could be even larger, it makes sense that individual liner companies build different style ships. I have watched a few shows of the new BSG (and Caprica), but I'm an old enough dog to have watched the original on primetime, so the Imperium statement sounded weird, but I didn't know.

Ah, the old school.

The King Richard is 5000 tons and 188 passengers and 18 low berths, so that liner could be even larger, it makes sense that individual liner companies build different style ships. I have watched a few shows of the new BSG (and Caprica), but I'm an old enough dog to have watched the original on primetime, so the Imperium statement sounded weird, but I didn't know.
I too remember watching the original BSG (thanks to the Smithsonian Magazine which did an article on John Dykstra and his company, had a sweet shot of the original Galactica model, all six feet of kit bash glory). That is where I got the Cylon Empire from. As far as I can tell the CE doesn't actually exist in the new BSG. But then again, these new Cylons are actually robots, where as the original were possibly robots, but created and ruled by an alien reptilian species, not the Colonials.

Too bad the new one had to end so badly. It was really cool for the first couple of seasons. The pilot was awesome. Tigh's "There's no rookies after today!" as he flushed all 87 un-vacc suited persons out the Galactica was super cool. Better was Adama backing Tigh to the Chief about it. Ah, space the best way to fight a fire. :D

As for the King Richard, I have heard the name bandied about, but never seen the stats for it. Seems like it must either have a buttload of fuel tankage or lots of free space for amenities. I can pack 200 souls into an 800 ton ship, so 188 in 5000 seems to be leaving a lot of room for passengers to visit spas, theaters, etc., or that is a ship with a high Jump and Maneuver numbers.

I too remember watching the original BSG (thanks to the Smithsonian Magazine which did an article on John Dykstra and his company, had a sweet shot of the original Galactica model, all six feet of kit bash glory). That is where I got the Cylon Empire from. As far as I can tell the CE doesn't actually exist in the new BSG. But then again, these new Cylons are actually robots, where as the original were possibly robots, but created and ruled by an alien reptilian species, not the Colonials.

Too bad the new one had to end so badly. It was really cool for the first couple of seasons. The pilot was awesome. Tigh's "There's no rookies after today!" as he flushed all 87 un-vacc suited persons out the Galactica was super cool. Better was Adama backing Tigh to the Chief about it. Ah, space the best way to fight a fire. :D

As for the King Richard, I have heard the name bandied about, but never seen the stats for it. Seems like it must either have a buttload of fuel tankage or lots of free space for amenities. I can pack 200 souls into an 800 ton ship, so 188 in 5000 seems to be leaving a lot of room for passengers to visit spas, theaters, etc., or that is a ship with a high Jump and Maneuver numbers.

Yes it does seem alot, it is very luxurious: swimming pools, salons, etc.; it's only j2/m1/ag1, I had lots of fun playing snapshot with my martian metals minis on the King Richard plans, the FASA disk is worth it, to get all that stuff.

I saw some of the new BSG and have been meaning to see it all, such as rent it, some of the ending ones seemed a bit hokey, but in the original the space angels turned apollo and starbucks uniforms white so they could stop a nuclear war? So much for TV 30 years ago, it is way better now.

It was the year 1980...

One day, I will probably get the FASA disk, if for no other reason but to have all the Traveller disks. But it is going to have to wait. Plus truth be told, I am messing with making up my own stuff these days. As for minis, I was always and remain a die hard Grenadier fan. I loved their Imperial Marines. I wish I still had them. *sigh*

Yeah, the original had some pretty hokey stuff going on. I think I missed that episode, which seems like a small loss. And then there was Galactica 1980 which is up there with Caprica in the spin offs that blew chunks.

Last edited:
I have now bought eight of the disks, good material for adventures, right now I'm starting a pbem/pbp campaign in T5, which is making me slowly wrap my head around a new set of rules since CT. I had MM and Ral Partha minis, grenadier was good, though I don't have any of that stuff anymore either.

I don't know if I saw Galactica 1980, I remember my sister having a huge crush on dirk benedict, with big starbuck posters on the wall, a very 1970's deal I guess, I had a little cylon raider which shot plastic bullets from it's wings. There was a lot of sci-fi primetime stuff back then, Logan's Run might make for an interesting regressed world.

Thanks, now I feel old.

Damn you have a lot of the disks. Me, I got the Big Floppy Books, got my first one in NYC back when I was living there. I think it was the Complete Strategist, somewhere in Midtown anyway. That purchase was the first Traveler I had bought since my GT purchases. I hadn't realized they had collected all the CT books before then. Got me Books 1-8 and not long ago got the BFB of the Collected JTAS.

I was running a T5 PbP as well, but real life and other factors led to me kinda letting it die. I am a bad Referee. Good luck and good gaming with yours. If you got questions, drop me a line and I might be able to help, I have been messing with CharGen, ACS and Space Combat for some time now. Personal Combat though is one area I am still a bit confused by. Mostly Wounding is messing with me and I can't seem to find out how it works. I seem to recall in CT that Hits were assigned to the first three Characteristics somehow, but it has been a long time since I ran that too. Then again, I was never really ramped up about combat in any game, I am a diplomat, I talk and when it gets to fighting, I call in some Marines. :D

God forbid, I actually remember that Cylon Raider. Wow, that was a long, long time ago. As for Galactica 1980, it was the one where they supposedly find Earth and had those ridiculous flying motorcycles.

Not quite right.

oBSG's Cylons were DEFINITELY robots. Even the Imperious Leader was a robot. But the Cylon Empire of the time was originally run by a reptilian race, and eventually were replaced by their own creations. It's implied that the IL series Cylons actually have the memories of individual biologic Cylons.

Apollo explains all this to Boxey while in a Landram on Carrilon.

Welll...

Not quite right.

oBSG's Cylons were DEFINITELY robots. Even the Imperious Leader was a robot. But the Cylon Empire of the time was originally run by a reptilian race, and eventually were replaced by their own creations. It's implied that the IL series Cylons actually have the memories of individual biologic Cylons.

Apollo explains all this to Boxey while in a Landram on Carrilon.
Well, that would be the difference between the show and the novelization. In the book they are still cybernetic organisms and the Imperious Leader is still a reptilian. Ah, the joy of disjointed continuity.

Well, that would be the difference between the show and the novelization. In the book they are still cybernetic organisms and the Imperious Leader is still a reptilian. Ah, the joy of disjointed continuity.

Marvel's adaptation matched the film, FWIW.

Comics!

Marvel's adaptation matched the film, FWIW.
Ah, back in the day when they did other people's stuff. A friend of mine had nice things to say about their Star Wars comics. I do love me some comics (though these days I don't pick them up), but I never cared for comic adaptations.

Last edited:
Ah, back in the day when they did other people's stuff. A friend of mine had nice things to say about their Star Wars comics. I do love me some comics (though these days I don't pick them up), but I never cared for comic adaptations.

Their adaptations were VERY good. Better than the novels for both oBSG and SW ep4-6. Both included some of the deleted scene materials, and both were visually well done by the standards of the day.

Yes it does seem alot, it is very luxurious: swimming pools, salons, etc.; it's only j2/m1/ag1, I had lots of fun playing snapshot with my martian metals minis on the King Richard plans, the FASA disk is worth it, to get all that stuff.

I saw some of the new BSG and have been meaning to see it all, such as rent it, some of the ending ones seemed a bit hokey, but in the original the space angels turned apollo and starbucks uniforms white so they could stop a nuclear war? So much for TV 30 years ago, it is way better now.

Try the Hulu website for both Stargate and the new BSG.

Dave Chase

Try the Hulu website for both Stargate and the new BSG.

Dave Chase

Thanks, I will check that out.

Damn you have a lot of the disks. Me, I got the Big Floppy Books, got my first one in NYC back when I was living there. I think it was the Complete Strategist, somewhere in Midtown anyway. That purchase was the first Traveler I had bought since my GT purchases. I hadn't realized they had collected all the CT books before then. Got me Books 1-8 and not long ago got the BFB of the Collected JTAS.

I was running a T5 PbP as well, but real life and other factors led to me kinda letting it die. I am a bad Referee. Good luck and good gaming with yours. If you got questions, drop me a line and I might be able to help, I have been messing with CharGen, ACS and Space Combat for some time now. Personal Combat though is one area I am still a bit confused by. Mostly Wounding is messing with me and I can't seem to find out how it works. I seem to recall in CT that Hits were assigned to the first three Characteristics somehow, but it has been a long time since I ran that too. Then again, I was never really ramped up about combat in any game, I am a diplomat, I talk and when it gets to fighting, I call in some Marines. :D

God forbid, I actually remember that Cylon Raider. Wow, that was a long, long time ago. As for Galactica 1980, it was the one where they supposedly find Earth and had those ridiculous flying motorcycles.

About feeling old, we aren't getting any younger, I will be 44 in a couple of weeks here. I do remember Galatica 1980 with them on the flying bikes, I guess I just put it as the last season of BSG in my mind.

It is easy to buy a bunch of disks because of the 443 deal that FFE gives. I have alot of the LBB's from the 80's, though when I was buying disks (which seemed cheaper than the big floppy books) I still am amazed at the amount of material for CT, 4 disks for it alone. If T5 came out I would buy the books most definitely for that.

Thanks for the offer of help on T5, I 'll take you up on that; I like being GM as well as player whatever gets one into a game I guess. I have a fair amount of questions myself about certain stuff, combat definitely needs an updated draft. Coming from CT, I always have liked its combat system the best, it's quick and deadly like one would figure real combat to be. There is a lot of really cool stuff in T5, I want Robject's ship builder done, now that is cool. T5 is almost done, it would be nice to see a release.

Rob

Back