• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Perfect PC Sidearm

Perfect PC Sidearm

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
alpha.gif
My favorite characters, to play, carried a short blade and knew how to use it for general survival. In those moments when something more powerful was required, legal or not, they carried a submachinegun.

Can you see the classic Traveller influence there?

Now I could go on with the other influences over 35 years but I'll limit it to this. For awhile in the RCES days they wouldn't be caught dead without a gauss pistol. Such was the socio-military cache of these newly re-introduced weapons in our campaign.
omega.gif

Originally posted by Father Fletch:
The poll is showing a definite Gaussian bent!
IMTU, I make the Gauss Pistol the same Law Level as an SMG.

I just don't want a lot of those things floating around. Particularly in PC hands ;)

Gauss and energy weapons are great until the batteries die. Except in a purely military campaign, I'll stick with an autopistol for everyday use (if it penetrates a starship hull, I'm on the wrong ship). For longarms, a shotgun is my choice unless, again, it's a military setting. Then I use something bigger, like a Trepida or a battle rider.

Originally posted by trader jim:
how about blade weapons????.....i kinda like my new Arkansas Toothpick!!!!.... :eek:

As fer the gauss bent...ye cannae blame em Padre Fletch. My personal choices: a Bolo Mauser with the 20 rd magazine, Abwehr suppressor WW2 7.92mm rds.
Okay, its a TL-4/5 1908 relic. slides together, one screw in the whole lot (holds the walnut pistol grips on)But it'll kill ya just as dead.

The two mini TL-14 gauss pistoles in the forarm spring holsters only hold 10rds each.

Blades, two Smart-Fabric memory plasteel Daggers, or four.(Throwing weapons, etc.)

And the Auto shotgun, sawn off with 20rd mag, "leg-iron."

Thats fer polite company.

Rude people, I'll call CPT Blacklight in for a chat with...or Joshua McCaen's boys (mercs) of the "Merry Widow"

I personally like the Snub Pistol and Snub SMG for the close in power aboard ship, the low relative recoil for those EVA moments and the fact that my character gets to let loose a stream of HEAP lovin'! That and they are light weight enough to be carried all day. Oh yeah and ammo compatibility. BTW has anyone done up sub-caliber sabot ammo for the Snub that could be used in atmosphere dirtside? any suggestions?
The problem with snubs is the very low muzzle velocity. 10mm, 7 gm bullets moving 100 to 150 mps. I'll check with the real serious firearm kahunas, but I think at that muzzle velocity a DS round wouldn't be very effictive.

Originally posted by Simon Jester:
The primary weapon of choice is a revolver, mainly to reduce having misfires suddenly turning the weapon in my character's hand into several kilos of junk. My current NPC associated with the PC party carries a updated version of the LeMat Cavalry Pistol (nine .357 rounds around a 20 gauge shot shell). This provides a good amount of firepower before having to reload, without getting outrageous.
That is one big mucking gun.
:eek:

Originally posted by Simon Jester:
The primary weapon of choice is a revolver, mainly to reduce having misfires suddenly turning the weapon in my character's hand into several kilos of junk. My current NPC associated with the PC party carries a updated version of the LeMat Cavalry Pistol (nine .357 rounds around a 20 gauge shot shell). This provides a good amount of firepower before having to reload, without getting outrageous.
That is one big mucking gun.
:eek:

Originally posted by phydaux:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Father Fletch:
The poll is showing a definite Gaussian bent!
IMTU, I make the Gauss Pistol the same Law Level as an SMG.

I just don't want a lot of those things floating around. Particularly in PC hands ;)
</font>[/QUOTE]This is something that's fun to pull on PCs.
"Yes, the listed law level says you can carry handguns. Handguns here are not gauss weapons. Those are restricted imports limited to government use. Yes, that autopistol is fine. Please submit it for a registration. How long? Oh...not long. Typically a week. Oh yes, and the Cr200 fee to cover the cost of registration of the weapon and your security check. Please come over this way, we'll need finger prints, DNA samples, photographs and a short psychological profile questionaire."

Without sounding to Munchkin-ish, a gauss pistol and a FMPG is what most players want. Sadly, it is usually the first items that get taken away at the Starport. Leaving players relatively defenceless. A remedy that I find is keep the villians better armed than the players and allow them to negociate their way out of situations.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Simon Jester:
Tries to remember the last time he saw an autopistol jam using new, storebought ammo... gives up

Have you ever handled a LeMat? A brick handles better. Give yourself a -2 at close, -1 at short range. And the other guy always draws first.
</font>[/QUOTE]Ah, but that's just it. Most of the time these people are runnning around in areas where there is rarely any new, storebought ammo to be had. Admittedely, they all stock up on new ammo when possible, but their weapons are somewhat unusual (either higher or considerably lower TL than their surroundings) and this eventually requires the use of less-than-factory-perfect, personally reloaded spent ammunition. Environmental factors can have an effect as well (being the general reason for describing a misfire resulting from a botched attack roll).

As to the handiness of the weapon...yes, it's based off of a TL 5 design, but it's built using TL 14 materials, primarily light weight ceramics and alloys. It has successfully been used to prevent a security door (lighter than a blast door but just as annoying) from completely shutting on a PC with only minor cosmetic damage.

Of course, it helps that I'm the GM, but several of my players have taken advantage of this "TL break" to have lower TL weapons remade with high TL materials.

Simon Jester
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Capt. Blacklight:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Rude people, I'll call CPT Blacklight in for a chat with...or Joshua McCaen's boys (mercs) of the "Merry Widow"
For a friend, anytime ;) [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]_________________________________________________
Why thank you BL, I knew that retainer fee wasnae nearly enough.

Seriously though Padre fletch I answered your poll in one sense only--what my players pack. My PCs while "we" like gauss pistols (and I prefer the mini gauss pocket version meself), usually go auto pistol/ snub pistol. SHotguns for "close encounters".

The Players PCs like gausspistols and ACRs with RAm GLs. but RAM GLs weren't on here. Also, LAGs, or mini guns. (ala Predator).

For the law level thingy, Phydaux, whatever works in YTU, go for it.

"This first before all else, go armed."-the Athenian Papers, Plato.
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Capt. Blacklight:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

For a friend, anytime ;) </font>[/QUOTE]_________________________________________________
Why thank you BL, I knew that retainer fee wasnae nearly enough.

Seriously though Padre fletch I answered your poll in one sense only--what my players pack. My PCs while "we" like gauss pistols (and I prefer the mini gauss pocket version meself), usually go auto pistol/ snub pistol. SHotguns for "close encounters".

The Players PCs like gausspistols and ACRs with RAm GLs. but RAM GLs weren't on here. Also, LAGs, or mini guns. (ala Predator).

For the law level thingy, Phydaux, whatever works in YTU, go for it.

"This first before all else, go armed."-the Athenian Papers, Plato.
file_23.gif
[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Gauss Pistols are Strictly for Social Occasions. And Body Pistols for when the Law Level say we shouldn't (and whayt PC has ever gone unarmed, given their chosen lives ;) )

If we are talking about going to the dance? Well that opens up a whole 'nother box.
Then it's Combat Armor and ACR/RAM grenade to the front with the VRFs and LAGs in support. THEN we get mean
file_22.gif

Liam you do raise a good point about not including certain weapons. I wanted to get an idea of what the characters carry when the possibility but not the certainty of "negotiations by other means" would occur. Perhaps the "social" choice of arms, not the roughneck. I do realize that there is a whole world of ironmongery out there, but since I usually do not run mercenary or military campaigns, I like to see what ‘jest folks carry. Personally I have a loaded shotgun (Mossberg 500 7+1 shots of #4) within easy reach in my bedroom and a loaded 5-shot hammerless stainless Taurus in 38 Special. There is also a 9mm FN High Power with a couple of loaded mags in the gun safe, for wearing when the weather gets cold enough for long coats. (Washington state is a must-issue concealed carry state)
(Liam I have an off topic question I would like to ask you, please email me.)
SO I guess I am asking what PCs and NPCs are likely to have on their person when just out visiting the broker, warehouse, shipyard, startown, brothel, bar and etc. NOT what they have ready when they are going to meet the local sub-sector mob boss about a cargo they dumped recently in the ring of the local GG.
Sort of helps me to visualize my background setting a little better.

Well, for personal use I like the auto pistol as a good solid sidearm and the ACR is too versitile not to be considered as a good weapon of choice.

For a close second is the shotgun, preferably the auto variant. Good for sweeping a room, low penetration for shipboard use, able to accept slugs for when you really need to reach out and touch someone...and accepted in all but the higher law levels.

The shotgun is also good for those without a lot of skill so it's a good beginner gun.

Personally I have a loaded shotgun (Mossberg 500 7+1 shots of #4) within easy reach in my bedroom and a loaded 5-shot hammerless stainless Taurus in 38 Special. There is also a 9mm FN High Power with a couple of loaded mags in the gun safe, for wearing when the weather gets cold enough for long coats. (Washington state is a must-issue concealed carry state)
(Liam I have an off topic question I would like to ask you, please email me.).
This seems bizzarre to me - I've never lived in America and have always taken movies with more than a grain of salt. Are you serious that "normal" people such as yourself have this much firepower lying arround the homa and even carry it on your person!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back