• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Post your MgT2 errata

I don't see the problem? You get an armour for max kCr 10, and there are plenty of choices and personalisation options to choose from.

The problem is that in the core rules the limit is 10K and there is no way, using just the core rules, to min/max that since, depending on TL, there isn't ONE set of armor that fills that 10K.

The OP is missing the fact that Mongoose allows layering of armor in addition to the options on pp88-89 of the core rules.

If the OP reviews those two ideas, this should no longer be an issue.

Was hoping this would be an actual errata thread, rather than someone nitpicking about how they would have written the rules differently.

Was hoping this would be an actual errata thread, rather than someone nitpicking about how they would have written the rules differently.

Agreed. Has Mongoose released any actual errata yet? Anything along the previous errata that DonM had been compiling?

They update their PDFs for people to re-download. A new printing of MgT2 hardcover books shipping soon will have updates. Maybe their site will have the changes made that we can download?

Just downloaded the version copyrighted in 2016 from Drive Thru. Mongoose still does not indicate how much explosive is required to achieve the listed results.

This is not about "I want it this way", this is a clarity issue. Does it make sense to you that (since they don't say different) 1 KG of TDX does the same damage as 10 KG?

Agreed. Has Mongoose released any actual errata yet? Anything along the previous errata that DonM had been compiling?

They have a historic reluctance to issue errata docs, instead preferring to update the original material, a policy leading to people rebuying dead tree.

If one has the PDF, they do tend to just replace the original there.

They update their PDFs for people to re-download. A new printing of MgT2 hardcover books shipping soon will have updates. Maybe their site will have the changes made that we can download?

Matt said a few small updates would be made. I found a 1st printing for a discount so am happy with that. TBH, looking through the list of complaints in this thread I see few things that are genuine errata, so given the apparent hostility of the regulars here to all things Mongoose, I deduce that there are no serious issues :D

The weight of a TDX explosive is negligible, is how I take it to mean. It doesn't add much to your carry weight inventory.

So ALL TDX explosive, even a 1 Dton block of it is of negligible weight? And even a 1 dton block of the explosive only does the damage listed?

My point is, and has always been on this subject, how much explosive is required to get the results listed. It has never been about encumbrance.

So ALL TDX explosive, even a 1 Dton block of it is of negligible weight? And even a 1 dton block of the explosive only does the damage listed?

My point is, and has always been on this subject, how much explosive is required to get the results listed. It has never been about encumbrance.
I'm not sure where you are seeing TDX weights listed. Page number?

Really? Really? Ok mass. How much mass is necessary for the effects listed.

There is no weight or mass listed in the book. That is why you can't find it and is my entire point.

A TL12 explosive weighs less than a 0.5 kg TL6 explosive. I don't think the RPG deals much with weights that are less than 0.5 kg, do they? Rule Zero, on page 2 in my book, says Referees can change whatever they want basically.

A TL12 explosive weighs less than a 0.5 kg TL6 explosive. I don't think the RPG deals much with weights that are less than 0.5 kg, do they? Rule Zero, on page 2 in my book, says Referees can change whatever they want basically.

Are you being deliberately provocative? Let us return to my 10 KG of TDX.

Tell me, Mr. Driscoll, how much damage will that 10 KG do? Can't tell? Neither can I. And 10 KG is not a negligible amount.

Are you being deliberately provocative? Let us return to my 10 KG of TDX.

Tell me, Mr. Driscoll, how much damage will that 10 KG do? Can't tell? Neither can I. And 10 KG is not a negligible amount.
You're right. 10 kg is not a negligible amount. However, TDX explosives weigh almost nothing at TL12 for role-play purposes. If TDX explosives could be made at TL6, maybe they would weigh the 10 kg you're looking for (Rule Zero). In the meantime, just use 10 TDX explosives (Rule Zero). Or use the Journal of the Travellers Aid Society No. 1 rules for TDX instead.

Traveller is about magic flying spaceships after all. It's not a simulator.

Last edited:
You're right. 10 kg is not a negligible amount. However, TDX explosives weigh almost nothing at TL12 for role-play purposes. If TDX explosives could be made at TL6, maybe they would weigh the 10 kg you're looking for (Rule Zero). In the meantime, just use 10 TDX explosives (Rule Zero). Or use the Journal of the Travellers Aid Society No. 1 rules for TDX instead.

Traveller is about magic flying spaceships after all. It's not a simulator.

What you don't seem to get is that I am pointing out a bit of errata. Mongoose quantifies even ammunition. It quantifies the TL 6 explosive. Why does it not quantify the others?

It is a bad rule if for the low tech part there is a nice value but for the upper part we have to rely on rule zero.

Or is that entirely to logical?

I was reviewing the thread to see if anyone had seen what I find odd in the Auto-Repair in MgT (at least in CB, as I don't own GH) and I found this detail from a Grognard's post:

Suggestion 1: like the drone requirement for Automated repairs, in order to automate ship functions there must be a further "conversion cost" for system manipulators. Perhaps a tonnage and cost requirement.

I'm afraid you're here making a mix with MgT1E, as in 2E it Works (or at least is written) differntly:

CB, page 151, definition of Auto-reapir softwares:

Allows the computer to make a number of repair attempts per round equal to the listed number
See that repair drones are not named, so they don't seem to be necessary...

CB, page 149, under Repair Drones:

Repair drones allows a Traveller with the Electronics (remote operations) skill to use the Repair System action
It clearly talks about a remote operatior, not the computer, as drone director.

Not sure this is an errata, but it's a clear departure from MgT1E...

Does HG change this?

Page 166, Far Trader:

It is shown as having power 75, but its needs to enter jump are 40 for the jump drives and 40 more for the basic ship systems, for a total need of 80.

Would dimming the lights (as the Vilani tradition) be enough for those lacking 5 power?

Back