• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

{PREVIEW} T20 Cover Inks

Ok things to address on the cover:

1) Vargr's hand and clothes
2) Sydites clothes and arms
3) The gun
4) Either replace Wanderer with Ursa or Virushi, come up with new look for wanderer, or at least add the mising arm.

Hunter

Well you are definately generating discussion Hunter, let me add my thoughts...

I am with you on the pony-tail, in fact as a fellow Grognard (circa '77 since we're fessing up) you may recognize him as Merchant Captain Alexander Jaimison, as rendered by David R. Deitrick in The Traveller Book (the resemblence is remarkable, same beard and mustache, and pony-tail, but the clean head is new). I always had him pegged as the Captain of the Beowulf. You could do some work on the gun though, I'd like to see an SMG personally, or a carbine resting butt on his hip (its classic).

I'd hire the Sydite any day, his extra arms and size would make him an invaluable crewman.

As for the others I tend to agree, they need some work. The best insectoid I recall rendered was by Micheal Whelan on the cover of DelRey's "Nor Crystal Tears" by Alan Dean Foster circa '82 (not a bad read btw)

Personally I'd prefer the Wanderer replaced with a female human engineer, the Aslan could look a little less smug (or peaved?). Also, if as you say they just abandoned the crashed Beowulf (which I like) they should be a bit rougher (torn uniforms, maybe a bandage or splint) and they could have a pack or two in the foreground, or some other salvage. Anyway, on the whole, not bad, keep working, we wait in great anticipation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by far-trader:
Well you are definately generating discussion Hunter, let me add my thoughts...

I am with you on the pony-tail, in fact as a fellow Grognard (circa '77 since we're fessing up) you may recognize him as Merchant Captain Alexander Jaimison, as rendered by David R. Deitrick in The Traveller Book (the resemblence is remarkable, same beard and mustache, and pony-tail, but the clean head is new). I always had him pegged as the Captain of the Beowulf. You could do some work on the gun though, I'd like to see an SMG personally, or a carbine resting butt on his hip (its classic).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, that actually wasn't intentional but it works! The pistol is on the list of fixes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
As for the others I tend to agree, they need some work. The best insectoid I recall rendered was by Micheal Whelan on the cover of DelRey's "Nor Crystal Tears" by Alan Dean Foster circa '82 (not a bad read btw)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any chance of an image or cover scan to take a gander at?

Personally I'd prefer the Wanderer replaced with a female human engineer, the Aslan could look a little less smug (or peaved?).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His stash of Kibbles and Bits were destroyed in the crash?

Also, if as you say they just abandoned the crashed Beowulf (which I like) they should be a bit rougher (torn uniforms, maybe a bandage or splint) and they could have a pack or two in the foreground, or some other salvage. Anyway, on the whole, not bad, keep working, we wait in great anticipation.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The crash idea came as an afterthought which is why the pic does not necessarily match the scene were are creating right now. We plan to add an air/raft in between the ship and crew in the background on the back cover that has their gear on it.

Hunter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunter:
The large guy is a Sydite, minor race human, 7-8' tall, four arms.

The mantis is a Wanderer, minor race alien.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Per MJWEST, don't show a minor race on the cover unless that race is described on the inside! The Majors, even if not fully detailed inside, will at least be mentioned, but minors???

Ditto his comment about females... Way back in the Carter Administration, Traveller was the only game around, IIRC, in which females played a serious role... Please keep it so - and on the cover, too!

...you may recognize him as Merchant Captain Alexander Jaimison...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, that actually wasn't intentional but it works!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are no random coincidences, only unexplainable patterns in chaos...

The best insectoid I recall rendered was by Micheal Whelan on the cover of DelRey's "Nor Crystal Tears" by Alan Dean Foster circa '82 (not a bad read btw)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any chance of an image or cover scan to take a gander at?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I could send you a snapshot. Drop me an e-mail onechaos@yahoo.com and I'll reply directly to avoid gross copyright infringement.

[This message has been edited by far-trader (edited 09 November 2001).]

Before I begin, I should note that in general I just don't get a rise out of comic-book style larger-than-life illustrations. So, in the ideal case, I'd prefer something totally different.

Since I doubt that will happen, I'm happy to offer comments about this piece in the hopes of improving it.

First off, the big dude just screams x-men or something; if I didn't know this was Traveller I'd assume it was Champions d20. I'm sure adding detail, color, and background will make it look less Marvel and more Space, but still.

The Aslan, however, is excellent in my opinion. The comments that have been made about the Vargr and the human are all really dead-on (which is to say, exactly the same things I would say
wink.gif
). Lame sidearm, bad hair, huge hand, and where are the dog legs? And if it hadn't been mentioned, I'd never know that the big dude had four arms. And it would be interesting to see some imagination put into the clothing - the leotards and spaceboots™ are almost like a cop-out.

Female characters would be great too - I quite like the b/w image at the top of all these pages, and the mix of genders says more to me about Traveller than 9-ft high bugs, to be blunt.

I've been critical! But only because I really love the game and the imagination behind it - I want to see that same imagination in the artwork.

-FCS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlightCommanderSolitude:
Before I begin, I should note that in general I just don't get a rise out of comic-book style larger-than-life illustrations. So, in the ideal case, I'd prefer something totally different.

Since I doubt that will happen, I'm happy to offer comments about this piece in the hopes of improving it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the spirit!

First off, the big dude just screams x-men or something; if I didn't know this was Traveller I'd assume it was Champions d20. I'm sure adding detail, color, and background will make it look less Marvel and more Space, but still.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're big, 4 armed, and rather unattractive by normal human standards and a bit slower mentally (though not by a lot). I think the image captures it pretty well, but what specifically would you alter to make it look more space? Specific ideas would be good.

The Aslan, however, is excellent in my opinion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, glad to hear it!

The comments that have been made about the Vargr and the human are all really dead-on (which is to say, exactly the same things I would say
wink.gif
). Lame sidearm, bad hair, huge hand, and where are the dog legs? And if it hadn't been mentioned, I'd never know that the big dude had four arms. And it would be interesting to see some imagination put into the clothing - the leotards and spaceboots™ are almost like a cop-out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Vargr hand, legs, and the pistol I agree with. The hair, nope I like it (of course it was my add...)
wink.gif

Female characters would be great too - I quite like the b/w image at the top of all these pages, and the mix of genders says more to me about Traveller than 9-ft high bugs, to be blunt.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will again agree that ideally a female character should have been included in the scene, that was my goof totally. Which is rather unusual in that I have been fairly adamant about the depiction of women and all ethinic groups within the material. The character class sketches (posted in the playtest areas) are about half male and half female depictions.

For the Wanderers (bugs),as mentioned previously, I wouldn't mind seeing some concept sketches from anyone who has some original ideas for depicting an insectoid race. I am quite open on this point.

I've been critical! But only because I really love the game and the imagination behind it - I want to see that same imagination in the artwork.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what why I posted the cover. No harm, no foul
wink.gif
I honestly do appreciate the feedback good or bad.

Hunter

[This message has been edited by hunter (edited 09 November 2001).]

You know what's missing? A starship. Maybe if you put one in the background illuminated by the moon (or is that a sun?) I might be attracted to such a cover.

BTW, I hope this is just a sketch. I prefer the finished artwork to be more of a painting rather than a pen-and-ink (most commonly found in comic books).

I find the cover art too superhero-comic too.

I;d prefer to lose at least one alien, add at least one human female, some gear - crumpled vacc suits on the ground, a suruvual pack, some tools - and a decent handgun, or some other weapon!

And most of all, can we lose the Wanderer, please? I'm not interested in arguments about having non-playable races on the cover or whatnot, it's just too Star Frontiers for me.....

I've never bought a Traveller book because of the cover art - I'm don't understand what all of the brujah is about. The name at the top is what I look for, and then I try to flip through it (if the store hasn't plasti-wraped it) to see if I like it. But as far as trying to get new people to play, West End Games did that with the Star Wars game. I couldn't tell you if it worked for them or not because they went bankrupt, as far as I've heard. I have that revised & updated version, and they dumbed it down to get "younger" players more interested. I wasn't impressed, but then I wasn't the type of person who they were aiming at. I don't claim to be proficient in Marketing Techniques, but the picture did look comic-bookish to me. Not that that's wrong. I just like the more realistic-type art. Digital art and so on. Anyways, I'm not the one that has to sell the books, just buy them. : ^ )

Just my .02 Cr

Scout

I think the T20 cover art looks promising. As with the T20 ref's screen art, the drawing captures the feel of TRAVELLER and evokes the sense of "science fiction adventure in the far future". As for everyone who hates it, just remember that the final painting will look much different from the initial sketch. However, I do agree that the pistol that the man is holding looks terrible and needs to be changed. Also, a woman in the group would be a nice touch (and if you could dress her in a chainmail bikini....just kidding! :> ) ).

Just for my 2 cents:

I agree with MJD, loose the Wanderer on the cover.

Improve the Sydite by gving him some equipment. Make him less hulking and show off the four arm more. A vacc suit, a computer tablet (al la star trek), another gun. Loose the loin cloth. The other thing missing from the picture (other than females) is carried equipment. Give cool looking boxes with flashing lights and beeing noises to the Sydite in particuar, but also the Vargr

The sydites are going to scream "Champions" to many people because one of villians from an early Space Gamer Champions adventure (and continued through the product line) was a bulky, low-IQ four armed android who like to pummel people on command. By making the Sydite looking like they are doing something other than being mucsle will help break this image.

The Vargr's legs are wrong. Vargr walk digigrade (on their toes) like dogs do. And so do the Aslan, though under the cloak it may be more difficult to tell.

Ok just updated the pic.

1) Vargr's hand has been scaled back some, his legs fixed up a bit

2) The loincloth on the Sydite was removed.

The Wanderer will be replaced with a human female, and they are going to try and touch up the clothing to 'loosen' it up so to speak.

The crashed ship and air/raft with their supplies will also be added over the weekend most likely.

Hunter

I have nothing against comic book art in general, but I do have a lot against superhero style artwork. That is one reason why I don't like the cover - it's so superhero/men-in-tights style. Another reason is the Flash Gordon style, the worst style in sci-fi art IMHO. And last but not least, the wanderer. Please lose that bug!

Sorry if that wasn't very constructive critisism. I just don't like it. If you could just make the cover a little more...um...serious. Traveller (for me at least) has been more than rayguns and bug-eyed monsters - it has been "real" science fiction where the suspension of disbelief has been done well. This cover does not say sci-fi to me. It says space fantasy or x-men in space.

I did like Bryan's art (both the guns and the sketches) tough!

Oops! Hunter posted as I was typing my post. Well, the bug's gone atleast. Thank you!

Sorry Hunter the cover isn't what I expected after I saw the great interiors.

I would prefer something more photo realistic, like Jessie original conception for First In, located on his webpage. This one has the "bad" (IMHO) of the GURPS interiors at best and comic book at worst. For me a smashing cover was that of the Rebellion Sourcebook or Survival Margin...although, not appropiate for this product. One reason I avoided TNE for some time was the poor covers and haphazzard interiors. Then I got to like the interior but still find the covers not up to snuff.

I do, however, like the Mantis/Wanderer.

I guess there is no chance in changing your mind on the issue of the cover, eh? Maybe run a thread to survey the top 5 Traveller art covers that might help for future art development. Naturally, you don't have to listen to us.

The changes so far (and the promised ones to follow) definitely help. With the vargr/sydite situation they're still oddly intertwined -- why not just have the vargr standing in front? It's not like the sydite's leg is so important that it can't be obscured (especially since you're already obscuring his extra arms!).

I'll be very glad to see the Wanderer/mantis go; it definitely brings to mind the worst sort of cheesy sci-fi cliches. Replacing it with another human will also help even up the balance -- one human and four different aliens implies a sort of Star-Wars-Cantina 'weirdo of the week' vibe that strongly clashes with Traveller's traditional handling of alien races.

Here's hoping the human female doesn't follow the same larger than life 'superhero-style' cliches as the male -- I really don't want to see some chick with long flowing hair, a tiny waist, and a pair of huge tits about to burst out of her skin-tight leotard! In fact, ISTR Marc Miller made an edict explicitly prohibiting that kind of artwork.

Considering that the vargr already has his hand cocked like he's looking at it, why not have him holding a hand computer or communicator or some similary high-tech-looking device. That, plus maybe loading down the sydite with a high-tech backpack of some sort would make these guys look more like explorers/professionals and less like a team of posing superheroes.

With these changes I think I'll be able to live with this cover, especially if the inking/coloring and background work is done as nicely as the FFE000 cover and T20 GM Screen. It's still not what I would've chosen myself in a million years, but it should be OK; not the major purchase-wrecking turn-off I thought at first.

Don't like it, for many of the reasons already given. It just doesn't LOOK right.

I liked the ideas of making the characters look like the just survived a crash, and the guy with the pony tail should have that gun pointed straight up unless he plans to shoot something. OTOH, maybe he _should_ be shooting at something, just to the side of the viewer.

Michael
Player of classic from '82 -'91, recently revived the interest (and wishing I didn't sell the old books at the used book store!)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The crashed ship and air/raft with their supplies will also be added over the weekend most likely.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
"Crashed"???
eek.gif

Forgive the question but ... are you making Survivor: The Traveller Edition RPG?

[This message has been edited by Reginald (edited 10 November 2001).]

Back