• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Races: Major & Minor

Well, note I said "possibly a K"... I wonder if a K5 V might be a bit too dim for what you have in mind, I'll have to check the numbers on that...

F9 V should be fine I think

If anyone's got a timeline for the Prt' (when they were uplifted, when their mentors were around, when they died out etc) can you please post it on the "Timeline: Other Races/Events" thread?

just some suggestions, or should this be on Brainstorming?

I've used a race called the Nosferu (possibly a human nick-name), a humaniod carrion eating race (they only eat flesh that has died naturally, as they are pacifists). They inject digestive fluids into a well ripe corpse and then suck out the goodness. They are also canniballistic, part of their religion. They also have virtual immunity to disease.

These practices were obviously abhorent to most other races, but the Nosfreu kept to themselves, until someone thought they'd be ideal to test a new bioweapon on them, which surprisingly worked, rendering the whole biospere uninhabitable. Some Nosferu (several million), were immune to this weapon, but had to leave their home as everything else was dead, so now they wander as refugees, hated and despised, forced to live in ghettos and often persecuted.

Thats about as far as I'd developed them, but I'd also thought they might be pretty good at medecine too. Originally I was sticking them around the Spinward Marches, but in a way the Sol Rim makes more sense, as wouldn't Sol Party hard-liners find them intolerable?

Their homeworld doesn't matter, could be anywhere, as its dead, but they'd be found all over the place in camps and refugee camps, maybe begging...

They have a yummy ripe odour too.... ;)

They sound like the er... what were they... The tentacle-headed guys from Babylon 5 - the Pak'Mara? They fed on carrion and weren't all that popular either

But if everything was dead on their homeworld, couldn't the survivors just eat the bodies? I'd have thought they'd love it if more stuff was dead around them...

You can only eat so much, though, before it's all decayed past the point of being digestable... I assume. ;)

-Flynn

I spose they are a bit like the Pak'Mara, but actually seemsed quite wholesome in their suits and were a space faring power. These guys are much more iccky and pathetic.

They couldn't eat the dieased carrion, it was the wrong kind of dead - killed by violence!

I was thinking, if the Sol Party is so anti non-human, wouldn't they try to expell aliens within the Sol Sphere? In that case, there may be more refugee aliens clogging up .spaceports.

I dunno, they sound so repugnant that I'd imagine the Sollies would quietly exterminate them all...

thats kind of my point. they were not in Sollie space, but they still went to the trouble of trying to exterminate them, and not quite succeeding. How would the Hivers feel about this? Would they see Sollie actions as repugnant or wouldn't they care?

Hivers themselves feed on a sort of Carrion, I don't see why they would object. The thing I dont see is, where do all the Corpses come from? Abundance of food is one thing that helps organisms rise to ascendency... I don't see how a food web could arise on such a planet... why wouldnt one group just kill everything until they themselves had nothing left to eat?

So far, we have the following Races in Spica:

1) Solomani/Human
2) Hiver
3) Prt'

I'd suggest that we look at possibly three to four more, tops. That would mean we'd have either six or seven total races to choose from that are local to the area.

I like the general concept of the Pak'ma'ra, I mean Nosferu (though the name is too close to a Vampire Clan name to be acceptable for me without some change), and would like to suggest that they become the next on the list. Besides, I like a race that looks like Mind Flayers and eats brains... ;)

4) Squid-heads

I'm sure someone has an idea for a human minor race they'd like to see explored in this sector. Sigg's chomping at the bit for some Rimward version of the technological advancements of the Darrians, so perhaps we could include the near-obligatory human minor race.

5) Obligatory human minor race (OHMR).

That leaves us with either one or two more minor races. I will post some suggestions shortly on one or two more races for consideration.

Enjoy,
Flynn

Most science fiction aliens represent story elements that provide universal impetus for story development. (Not all races fill this role, of course, but many do.)

The classic roles for Sci-Fi aliens tends to be:

The Generalist Human race stuck in the middle;
The Noble/Stoic Warrior race;
The Cowardly Sychophant race;
The Enigmatic Logic-Driven race;
The Mystic Elder race;
The Stone Age Innocent race;

and so on...

Seems that we've got a lot of that covered already.

I'd personally like to see a non-"Fuzzy" version of a Noble/Stoic Warrior race come out of Spica, meaning none of the typical animalistic allegories (reptiles, cats, dogs/wolves, arachnids, etc.)

I'd also like to see the Cowardly Sycophant race developed, perhaps even in combination with the Stone Age Innocent concept. Strange as it may seem, there are those who like to play the sweet innocent, overwhelmed by the advanced nature of the "gods" that have come from beyond the sky.

I'm hoping this spurs a few creative juices here.

More thoughts later,
Flynn

I'd suggest putting at least one minor Ancient-planted Human race in the Hiver part of the sector.

I'd also like to see at least one race that is decidedly alien and doesn't have an obvious terrestrial analogue. The Gateway book had a good number of these (I liked the big turtly things, and those spindly triaxially symmetric guys, unfortunately I've forgotten their names
)

What do you mean by "a Cowardly Sycophant race"? You mean one that's been enslaved by another race and does everything the latter tells it to do? Would that sort of thing even be stable here? I guess without the Imperium around to say "er, no, you can't do that" it could be

My Darrian analogue is most definitely not a minor human race. They are an utterly alien organic race, a by-product of an earlier race's attempt at space colonization/species preservation against impending disaster.

The Cowardly Sycophant are the types that, when push comes to shove, they kowtow to the "superior" person in the situation, always looking for a way to improve their lot in life so they can finally be the bullies for once.

Two Examples: In the OTU, the Vargr can be played this way. In ST:NG, the Ferengi are like this.

My apologies if I'm using the wrong words here,
Flynn

Details, Sigg. You should post details, if you want people to explore this concept with you... ;)

So, tell me about your aliens, please,
Flynn

Bear in mind this is a work in progress:

The idea behind the advanced race in Spica is to make it not a race at all. It is instead the last attempt of an advanced species to save something of themselves.
To tell a complicated story quickly, one of the races that predated the Ancients used to live in Spica. They investigated space around them by using biotech to send their full memories and knowledge base in "DNA" encoded packets to adjacent systems. Once in the next system these "DNA" spores would use any available organic chemicals available to manufacture a new host body for the intelligence stored within. They would grow bio-tech tools to serve them by modifying the lifeforms they discovered or growing them from simple organic chemicals, a much longer procedure.
They would build, learn all they can about the new system, encode the info and send it back to the home system and then spread to the next.
If no resources are found in the target system to allow the seed to grow it would lie dormant for years until entropy takes its toll, or some source of organic chemicals comes to it...

Anyway, some disaster occurs (I've yet to decide what - any ideas?) and the race sends out their most advanced seeds as far as they can to escape the catastrophe.
Most perish or are lost in gas giants (now there's a thought...) or stars, only a few seeds remain scattered around the systems of (pick a subsector). One seed establishes itself on a world with simple life and begins its mission, to reconstruct the lost race.
It does this by means of virus like spores which invade the cells of plants and animals and reprogram them to grow new bodies for the stored intelligences.
One side effect is that much of the host DNA is incorporated in the new construct.
Anyway, one of the planets in Spica was infected, the "race" has rebuilt its civilization, but any visitor must take extreme precautions to avoid being infected by the "virus" spores. The "new race" has no ambitions for conquest, its bio/nano machines can make anything it wants from resources to hand.
When this world was contacted by human/hiver explorers unfortunately for the contact team the spores are still very much active and they were killed, their memories being added to the new beings that grew from their rotting remains.
The knowledge of the jump drive became theirs.

The jump drives of the young races have allowed them to explore without the need to spread seeds from system to system anymore, but they do have to be carefull to always wear their vacc suits to prevent them from infecting anything by accident.

Hrm. Wouldn't the affected worlds be totally and utterly interdicted though? They'd surely be utterly quarantined (if not just plain nuked from orbit
). Plus with all these other new races around them wouldn't they want to assimilate everyone to gain their knowledge? (sounds a bit Borgy, actually...!)

Somehow I don't think other races would take too kindly to the concept of a race on their doorstep that can rewrite their DNA and absorb their knowledge...

Like the Kaa from Gurps Aliens?

You guys forgot the Parasite Beings that need humanoid hosts to work their evil (or good?) ... that is a Sci Fi staple type... maybe a symbiotic type? like the Lemura in the Hinterworlds?

Back