• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Real stars and their Traveller systems

A few of the Solomani Rim mainworlds, in CT's Alien Module 6 (Solomani) have their real-life star names given for the system. E.g. Boskone (Alpha Indi), Cicero (Alpha Tauri), Midway (Lalande 21185).

Is there a list somewhere of known stars (real-life ones) and their Traveller system location/mainworld name equivalents?

I've got this but don't know where all the ones not confirmed as canonical came from... (spoilered for length)

Name / Traveller Name / Gliese(GJ)Number
61 Cygni A Nusku 820
61 Cygni B Nusku 820
70 Ophiuchi A Zaggisi 702
70 Ophiuchi B Zaggisi 702
82 Eridani Mirabilis 139
AC+12 1800-213 Remulak 213
Alpha Aquilae Altair 768
Alpha Aurigae A Capella 194
Alpha Bootis Arcturus 541
Alpha Centauri A Prometheus 559
Alpha Centauri B Prometheus 559
Alpha Cephei Stralsund
Alpha Crucis Alpha Crucis 455.3
Alpha Crucis A Alpha Crucis 455.3
Alpha Fornacis B Durgha 127
Alpha Gemini A Castor 278
Alpha Gemini B Castor 278
Alpha Gemini C Castor 278
Alpha Gemini D Castor 278
Alpha Indi Boskone
Alpha Lyrae Vega (Gwathui) 721
Alpha Ophiuchi A Depot
Alpha Ophiuchi B Depot
Alpha Piscis Austrini Fomalhaut 881
Alpha Tauri A Cicero 9159A
Alpha Tauri B Cicero 9159B
Alpha Trianguli Australis Cephesa
Antares A Antares
Antares B Antares
Barnard's star (in 1102 Imperial) Barnard 699
Beta Aquilae A Mashaddun 771
Beta Aquilae B Mashaddun 771
Beta Cassiopei A Eyck 8
Beta Cassiopei B Eyck 8
Beta Gemini Pollux 286
Beta Leonis Denebola 448
Beta Trianguli Australis Khalikkam 601
Canopus Canopus
CD-32 12397 Shulgi
Delta Aquilae A Hieronymous 760
Delta Aquilae B Hieronymous 760
Deneb Deneb
DM+17 2611 A Nyarlathotep 505
DM+17 2611 B Nyarlathotep 505
DM+36 1979 [New] Greenpernt 356
DM+36 1979 [New] Greenpernt 356
DM+42 1956 A Kukulcan 332
DM+42 1956 B Kukulcan 332
DM+44 4548 Kidashi 2
DM+45 4408 A Basse Terre 4
DM-12 4523 A Apishal 628
DM-21 1377 A Luuru 229
DM-21 1377 B Luuru 229
DM-34 11626 A Dingir 667
DM-34 11626 B Dingir 667
DM-34 11626 C Dingir 667
DM-45 13677 Allamu 784
DM-45 7872 Tewfik 477
DM-9 3413 Jorjor 454
DX Cancri Dismal 1111
Epsilon Ceti A Gashidda 105.4
Epsilon Ceti B Gashidda 105.4
Epsilon Cygni Ishadar 806.1
Epsilon Eridani A Shulimik 144
Epsilon Indi A Meshan 845
Epsilon Indi Ba Meshan
Epsilon Indi Bb Meshan
Epsilon Scorpii Cambria
Eta Bootis A Aqilat 534
Eta Cassiopei A Lagash/Amarku 34
Eta Cassiopei B Lagash/Amarku 34
Eta Cephei Hsivyu 807
G 099-049 Ys
GJ 1116 A Inferno
GJ 1116 B Inferno
GJ 682 Kinunir 682
GJ832 Enki Kalamma 832
Iota Horologii Pilgham 108
Iota Ursae Majoris A Goliad 331
Kruger 60A Ishimshulgi 860
Kruger 60B Ishimshulgi 860
L 726-8 Markhashi 65
L119 44 Ishkur
L316 62 Trapezus 333
L347 14 Shulgiili 754
L399 68 Cymbeline
Lacaille 8760 Karkhar 825
Lacaille 9352 Shuruppak 887
Lalande 21185 Midway 411
LHS 292 Peraspera
LP30-55 Kaguk(hassagan)
LTT 12352 Hades
LTT 17993 Calgary
Mu Cassiopei A Ninkhur Sagga 53
Mu Herculis A Ashtagz Tyui 695
Mu Herculis B Ashtagz Tyui 695
Mu Herculis C Ashtagz Tyui 695
Omicron^2 Eridani Sarpedon 166
Procyon A Fenris 280
Procyon B Fenris 280
Ross 128 Loki 447
Ross 154 Agidda 729
Ross 249 Eneldun 907
Ross 619 Forlorn 299
Sirius Sirius
Sol Terra
Spica Spica
Tau Ceti Iilike
Theta Centauri Immir
Wolf 359 Junction
Wolf 424 Ember
Wolf 46 Mukhaldim
YZ Canis Minoris Hephaistos

My best answer is whoever authored past canon probably tried to stick with known astronomy, but doing so also probably put a lot of limits on mapping the game, and there probably wasn't as much data of where everything was in relation to our solar system as there is now.

I've thought about this question, however, on and off throughout the years, but I've never really seen it addressed openly until you started this thread. It would make for an interesting exercise to really map out all the places in known space and compare them to Traveller space.

I agree. I've always been interested in the Solomani Rim/Sphere and those hints in Supplement 10 and AM:6 have got me intrigued again. In the very limited time I have available, I may try to sort as many as I can (non-canonically of course)... I was using the Traveller: 2300AD catalogue as well as stuff like the RECONS data to do it in 3D, but mapping Traveller systems to our near-space neighbours in "D terms might be fun - or madness! It's also useful for ATUs that involve Earth and its locality.

I agree. I've always been interested in the Solomani Rim/Sphere and those hints in Supplement 10 and AM:6 have got me intrigued again. In the very limited time I have available, I may try to sort as many as I can (non-canonically of course)... I was using the Traveller: 2300AD catalogue as well as stuff like the RECONS data to do it in 3D, but mapping Traveller systems to our near-space neighbours in "D terms might be fun - or madness! It's also useful for ATUs that involve Earth and its locality.

I have started to look at this myself. Have you gone anywhere with it?

I'm not sure if the original goal of fitting the traveller worlds to real ones was to preserve stellar characteristics, or distance, or directionality. 61 Cygni for example is identified as Nusku. On Travellermap it is directly coreward and in reality it is almost directly spinward (9º off from spinward - I'm using 21h 11' RA, 48º 19' declination as "spinward" - the cross of the defined galactic north and galactic core directions).

I'm not sure if the original goal of fitting the traveller worlds to real ones was to preserve stellar characteristics, or distance, or directionality.

I suspect that it was more distance than directionality. (Certainly this is the more important criteria for creating a "Jump-map" for Terran-sky near stars).

If you look at Meshan (previously identified as Epsilon Indi), you find that it is apparently on the wrong side of Terra (it appears to be mirror-reflected about the coreward-rimward axis). It should be Coretrailing (and a littler farther away), not Corespinward, based on the SIMBAD database galactic coordinates. I suspect this is because for stars very near Earth someone was trying to preserve correct distances not only relative to Earth, but also mutually among other defined nearby stars. Epsilon Indi has a significant negative-angle relative to the galactic plane (i.e. it lies along a reasonably steep angle toward galactic south). Translating this 3rd-dimension to a 2-dimensional map is challenging if you want to preserve the distances between all of its local neighbors and Earth as well. If you put Epsilon Indi at the correct bearing and distance from Earth in 2D (as seen from above), you will have significantly incorrect distances relative to the other defined near-Earth stars that Epsilon Indi will fall alongside (because these stars are closer to the plane of the map). So if you move it to the opposite side of Earth (as apparently was done), you preserve (roughly) the Earth-Epsilon Indi distance, and more correctly keep the longer distances relative to those other named trailing stars as well (at the sacrifice of the correct direction).

The puzzling part is that Epsilon Indi is also on the wrong side of Earth on the 2300AD 3D-star map as well. :confused:

61 Cygni for example is identified as Nusku. On Travellermap it is directly coreward and in reality it is almost directly spinward (9º off from spinward - I'm using 21h 11' RA, 48º 19' declination as "spinward" - the cross of the defined galactic north and galactic core directions).

As I have noted once or twice before, it seems as if the axes of the Traveller Map are rotated about 45o counter-clockwise from their true direction. Why this occurred is a mystery, but many of the stars will come closer to their true position relative to one another if you make this correction.

As I have noted once or twice before, it seems as if the axes of the Traveller Map are rotated about 45o counter-clockwise from their true direction. Why this occurred is a mystery, but many of the stars will come closer to their true position relative to one another if you make this correction.

This is not true for all of the stars though, if Zaggisi is taken to be 70 Ophiuchi, it's 30º from coreward and 60º from spinward on Travellermap and 31.7º coreward and 60.7º from spinward in the real world. Capella and Forlorn (Ross 619) are also very close.

On the other hand, Lagash is almost directly coreward in Traveller and more rimward than coreward in reality.

In terms of distance, Altair and Ys ("BD-12 4523") are 10.14 parsec away from each other on travellermap and 10.14 parsec away from each other in reality. I'll have to try rotating them and see if the correlation is higher.

If you put Epsilon Indi at the correct bearing and distance from Earth in 2D (as seen from above),

I want to make sure I understand the general approach that Traveller took, and that comment was a little surprising. If I view Earth in 2d from above (straight down from the celestial pole), the galactic plane is fairly highly oblique. My understanding is that the traveller map was oriented the same way the galactic disk was, that is, the normal to the surface of the travellermap is the same as the normal to the angular momentum of the rotation of the galaxy, or more or less toward galactic north. Your comment there implies I should take the bearing in 2d from looking down celestial (rather than galactic) north (which is right ascension) and use that as the angle on the map?

Some distance reorganization seemed to have been ok, in that Traveller has four stars within Jump-2 distance (Barnard, Prometheus, Junction and Peraspera) and reality only two of those are within two parsec.

61 Cygni is 90º off from its true direction. I'm not sure if proper motion was accounted for when the traveller map was laid out, but by the time of the 3I (in 1105), 61 Cygni/Nusku will be at 87.9º galactic longitude (almost exactly spinward), -6.75º galactic latitude.

Your comment there implies I should take the bearing in 2d from looking down celestial (rather than galactic) north (which is right ascension) and use that as the angle on the map?

That was not my meaning.

I want to make sure I understand the general approach that Traveller took, and that comment was a little surprising. If I view Earth in 2d from above (straight down from the celestial pole), the galactic plane is fairly highly oblique. My understanding is that the traveller map was oriented the same way the galactic disk was, that is, the normal to the surface of the travellermap is the same as the normal to the angular momentum of the rotation of the galaxy, or more or less toward galactic north. ...
According to SIMBAD, in Galactic Coordinates (i.e. NOT Celestial Ones), Epsilon Indi lies at about 336.2o longitude* relative to Sol, and -48.0o South latitude (i.e. down-angle into the galactic plane). If you take the TravellerMap coordinate axes at face value, this would put it "Northeast" of Sol. If you use the 45o axis-adjustment** I mentioned above, it would be almost "due-east". Note that Epsilon Indi canonically was identified as Meshan.
* - 000.0o is due Coreward, 090.0o is due Spinward, 180.0o is due Rimward, and 270.0o is due Trailing.

** - True-Coreward is actually Coretrailing on TravellerMap, True-Spinward is actually Corespinward on TravellerMap, True-Rimward is actually Rimspinward on TravellerMap, and True-Trailing is actually Rimtrailing on TravellerMap.
Again according to SIMBAD, Epsilon Indi lies at a realspace distance of about 3.64 pc from Sol along the bearing angles noted above. If you want to "collapse" the z-dimension down onto the xy-galactic plane and look at Epsilon Indi's projection onto that plane looking down from above, that would put it at a distance of 3.64*(cos [-48.0o]) = 2.44 pc "projected onto the plane". In either case, that would place it about 1-2pc distant from stars such as Alpha Centauri (Prometheus), Barnard, and/or Wolf 424 (Ember). Epsilon Indi is not that close to any of those stars. So if the game designers made an attempt to preserve "real space distances" not only between Sol and these stars, but also made some attempt (for relatively close stars, at any rate) to preserve their distances one to another in 2D, perhaps they moved some of those stars around a bit to find a happy compromise in 2D so that Ember was tolerably far way from Meshan and Sol and Prometheus all at the same time.

Some distance reorganization seemed to have been ok, in that Traveller has four stars within Jump-2 distance (Barnard, Prometheus, Junction and Peraspera) and reality only two of those are within two parsec.
My interpretation in those instances (i.e. "in-universe hand-wave") is that the hexgrid is a "jump-map" (i.e. relative to jump-space energy transition levels), not a strict real space coordinate system. In other words, there are technical factors other than straight Real-space distance that affect jump transitions. 2 Hexes is what a Jump-2 Drive can achieve, given the Jump-Space topology, which is close to (but not exactly the same as) their Real-space distances in parsecs.

Last edited:
This is not true for all of the stars though, if Zaggisi is taken to be 70 Ophiuchi, it's 30º from coreward and 60º from spinward on Travellermap and 31.7º coreward and 60.7º from spinward in the real world. Capella and Forlorn (Ross 619) are also very close.

On the other hand, Lagash is almost directly coreward in Traveller and more rimward than coreward in reality.

In terms of distance, Altair and Ys ("BD-12 4523") are 10.14 parsec away from each other on travellermap and 10.14 parsec away from each other in reality. I'll have to try rotating them and see if the correlation is higher.

Correct. Not all of the stars are off by 45o. Some are less so, and some more so. (And a few are actually in their correct position without an Axis rotation - Antares for one, I believe).

That was not my meaning.

According to SIMBAD, in Galactic Coordinates (i.e. NOT Celestial Ones),

Yes, I mentioned up a bit earlier that I was using 21h 11' right ascension, 48º 19' declination as "spinward".

True-Coreward is actually Coretrailing on TravellerMap, True-Spinward is actually Corespinward on TravellerMap, True-Rimward is actually Rimspinward on TravellerMap, and True-Trailing is actually Rimtrailing on TravellerMap.

One of the closest stars on Travellermap, which is also canon, is Aggida or Ross 154. It's directly coreward on Travellermap and almost directly coreward in reality (11º longitude - so somewhat core-spinward actually, rather than core-trailing). And it looks more or less coreward visibly:

I'm trying to understand how you got to "true-coreward is actually coretrailing", as if you look at Ross 154 true coreward is map coreward. If you look at 61 cygni true spinward is map coreward. Capella is 14º away from rimward on the travellermap and 17º away from rimward in reality, and is otherwise fairly well aligned with the axes. So, some stars are dead on (within 10º or so of their map axis), some stars are 90º off, and some are 30º off. For some, like Arcturus, their direction is primarily out of the galactic plane and I'll ignore their position as a potential fiducial. I don't really see one correction dominating over another, if only the canon stars are taken.

Again according to SIMBAD, Epsilon Indi lies at a realspace distance of about 3.64 pc from Sol along the bearing angles noted above. If you want to "collapse" the z-dimension down onto the xy-galactic plane and look at Epsilon Indi's projection onto that plane looking down from above, that would put it at a distance of 3.64*(cos [-48.0o]) = 2.44 pc "projected onto the plane".

I won't cut the z axis off completely, I'll rotate it into the galactic plane, if anything. I don't really want to change canon stars, though, I want to propose identities for the stars that do not have canon names. If, however, it's accepted that jump space (distance and direction) doesn't actually map to realspace then it's not really a possible task and leave it at that for the time being.

Yes, I mentioned up a bit earlier that I was using 21h 11' right ascension, 48º 19' declination as "spinward".

There is a scan of an early hand-drawn map on the MT CDROM that is the basis for the TravellerMap that has many stars named, with their rough supposed positions. It lists near the edges of the map: "Spinward (R.A. 0.00h)", "Rimward (R.A. 6.00h)", "Trailing (R.A. 12.00h)", "Coreward (R.A. 18.00h)". At the bottom is says: "Map of the Imperium showing named stars (Old Earth Nomenclature) between +10o and -10o declination ".

Intersting Note: On this Map Deneb is located along the same bearing from Sol as the published Charted Space Map, but at its correct distance on the Far Side of the Zhodani Consulate along its Coreward border in Viajlefliez Sector, the Pelican Nebula is in the lower claw of the Great Rift (~1/3 the correct distance), and Antares is located in Ley Sector. As an aside, there is also intriguingly the hint of a fairly substantial polity to Trailing of the Hive Federation.

I won't cut the z axis off completely, I'll rotate it into the galactic plane, if anything. I don't really want to change canon stars, though, I want to propose identities for the stars that do not have canon names. ...

I may have done a part of this work for you already on the TravellerWiki. See Category:Stars (http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Category:Star).

Italicized names are redirects (i.e. the list contains both proper names and Flamsteed, Bayer, and Catalog Numbers - in most cases stars are listed under their proper names, but there are a few exceptions)). I have detailed the stars for all of the canonical (or non-canonical) Traveller Worlds that I could find, plus a few of the more interesting stars in, around, or just outside Charted Space (mostly to Rimward). (I also have a few more that I want to do, but just haven't got around to it yet). Make sure to check the Discussion Tabs and esp. the Metadata link in each star-article; all of the metadata pages have my opinions on placement as boilerplate text (see below); but some of them also have additional information underneath.

One of the closest stars on Travellermap, which is also canon, is Aggida or Ross 154. It's directly coreward on Travellermap and almost directly coreward in reality (11º longitude - so somewhat core-spinward actually, rather than core-trailing). ...

I'm trying to understand how you got to "true-coreward is actually coretrailing", as if you look at Ross 154 true coreward is map coreward. If you look at 61 cygni true spinward is map coreward. Capella is 14º away from rimward on the travellermap and 17º away from rimward in reality, and is otherwise fairly well aligned with the axes. So, some stars are dead on (within 10º or so of their map axis), some stars are 90º off, and some are 30º off. For some, like Arcturus, their direction is primarily out of the galactic plane and I'll ignore their position as a potential fiducial. I don't really see one correction dominating over another, if only the canon stars are taken.

There simply is not a simple axis rotation correction that can be made, AFAIK. My observation is that a number of stars fall closer to their correct position relative to one another if you rotate the TravellerMap axes some angle counter-clockwise.

My basis for an axis rotation is:
  • Prometheus (Alpha Centuari) lies at 315.7o galactic longitude (almost due coretrailing)
  • Barnard lies at 031.0o galactic longitude (Coreward by Corespinward)
  • Midway (Lalande 21185) lies at 185.1o galactic longitude (Rimward)
  • Sirius lies at 227.2o galactic longitude (Rimward by Rimtrailing)
  • Fenris (Procyon) lies at 213.7o galactic longitude (Rimward by Rimtrailing) {its closest neighbor, Luyten's Star (L5-1668 / BD+05o 1668) would also be in the same hexgrid @ 0.34pc distance}
  • Iilike (Tau Ceti) lies at 173.1o galactic longitude (Rimward by Rimspinward) {and Luyten 726-8 would be in the same hexgrid @ 0.88pc distance}
  • Shulimik (Epsilon Eridani) lies at 195.8o galactic longitude (Rimward by Rimtrailing)
  • Mirabilis (82 Eridani) lies at 250.8o galactic longitude (Trailing by Rimtrailing) - better with rotation, but still way off
  • Sarpedon (40 Eridani) - lies at 200.8o galactic longitude (Rimward by Rimtrailing)
  • Gwathui (Vega) - lies at 067.4o galactic longitude (Spinnward by Corespinward)
  • Deneb - lies at 084.3.8o galactic longitude (Spinward by Corespinward) {The Pelican Nebula (in Zhodani Space) lies along the same bearing)}

On the other hand:
  • Junction (Wolf 359) lies at 244.1o galactic longitude (Trailing by Coretrailing) - roughly correct position
  • Loki (Ross 128) lies at 270.1o galactic longitude (due Trailing) - roughly correct position
  • Ember (Wolf 424) lies at 288.8o galactic longitude (due Trailing) - roughly correct position
  • Fomalhaut lies at 020.5o galactic longitude (Coreward by Corespinward)
  • Altair lies at 047.7o galactic longitude (Corespinward)
  • Antares - lies at 351.9o galactic longitude (Coreward by Coretrailing)

My boilerplate text on the TravellerWiki Star article metadata pages suggests this for star placement:
When comparing real-astronomical celestial object positions to the Traveller Map of Charted Space, it needs to be observed that the axes of the Charted Space Map appear to be tilted about 45o counter-clockwise from the correct position (i.e. "true" Coreward actually lies in the general direction of the Lesser Rift). If one makes that adjustment, about 70% of the named stars and celestial objects will fall roughly along their correct bearing. However, there are some exceptions in which the star in question lies in roughly the correct position relative to the Charted Space Map without the need to rotate the coordinate axes.

In general, if one is assigning the position of a Real-Universe star or celestial object to a Traveller Map hex, it should be acceptable if:

1. The object's longitude angle (θ) is within a 45o bearing-arc between the "true" coordinate axes and the ''Traveller'' Charted Space Map coordinate axes, and
  2. The object's assigned distance from Terra on the hexmap falls somewhere between its true distance R in parsecs, and its 2D-projection onto the flat map as seen from above, found by Dproj = {R * cos(ɸ)}, where (ɸ) is the latitude angle. If desired, the distance above/below the plane can be determined by Z = {R * sin(ɸ)}.

Last edited:
There is a scan of an early hand-drawn map on the MT CDROM that is the basis for the TravellerMap that has many stars named, with their rough supposed positions. It lists near the edges of the map: "Spinward (R.A. 0.00h)", "Rimward (R.A. 6.00h)", "Trailing (R.A. 12.00h)", "Coreward (R.A. 18.00h)". At the bottom is says: "Map of the Imperium showing named stars (Old Earth Nomenclature) between +10o and -10o declination ".

I wonder if that is part of the problem. Right Ascension is angle from the first point of ares on the equatorial plane, which is tilted 62º relative to the galactic coordinate system / plane. That note hints that the authors were unaware that the earth's equatorial plane is highly tilted relative to the galactic plane, which might explain a lot.

My basis is for an axis rotation is:
  • Prometheus (Alpha Centuari) lies at 315.7o galactic longitude (almost due coretrailing)
  • Barnard lies at 031.0o galactic longitude (Coreward by Corespinward)

• I'll have to walk through the whole list, but Alpha Centauri is at 315.7º galactic longitude today. In 1105 Imperial it will be at 312.3º.

By the same token, the quick-moving Barnard's Star moves all the way from 30.98º today to 42.98º in 1105. Several of the canon stars are high proper motion stars, but I don't know if the original traveller authors corrected for that and if so, if they correctly did so.

On this Map Deneb is located along the same bearing from Sol as the published Charted Space Map, but at its correct distance on the Far Side of the Zhodani Consulate along its Coreward border in Viajlefliez Sector,

Deneb is problematic as the distance to Deneb as we understand it today has fairly large error bars around it, but likely it is even further than you suggest. Taking the Hipparcos data it is 990 ± 559 parsec. The current accepted distance to Deneb is 802 parsec, and as the travellermap distance is 182.14 parsec, travellermap is actually short by 4.4x. Given 802 parsec distance at 84.28º galactic, it would be in an unnamed sector about 25 sectors to spinward and 2 sectors coreward.

Preserving the travellermap direction but using 802 parsec, Deneb would be in an unnamed sector two sectors spinward from Natzieliadl sector. Deneb is fortunately very close to the galactic equator so that doesn't have to be corrected, at least.

But I won't take it for granted that the understood distance to deneb won't change dramatically yet again.

Limiting the resolution to 800 pixels for CotI compliance is going to lose some of the effect, but in this version of the map, I took the real stars with known or conjectural Traveller equivalents by their galactic longitude and distance and plotted them. So, longitude is correct for all of them, and distance is correct relative to the sun, but longitude and distance relative to each other certainly won't be. (This for their current, not 1105, positions). Note some interesting side effects, though Prometheus is greater than 1 parsec away and therefore a jump-2 target, it is only one hex over. If the angle were slightly different it could be two hexes - but from the center of one hex the parts of the neighboring hex will naturally be greater than distance=1 away (where 1 is the distance from the center of one hex to the center of a neighboring hex).

Hopefully this works:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhOy6SzueEkKjqhwidjL04yhIkSCKg?e=nQ5Hcb

That is a video for the correction from TravellerMap coordinates to correct galactic longitude and distance, to get a sense of the dominant corrective motion. The dominant corrective motion does seem to be counterclockwise, with a few instances of clockwise motion and some obvious instances of just being completely in the wrong direction.

Deneb

To cover the possible positioning of Deneb, as it came up. The blue dashed line and circle represent the correct longitude and distance (so far as it is currently understood) for Deneb. If direction is preserved, using the "correct" distance then Deneb is in the red circle, and taking the wiki Talk page information, deneb lies somewhere on the thick orange line.

Note that the Talk page mentions that Traveller data has Deneb at 40º spinward of coreward - it does not, it's more like 27º.

I think I agree with the Talk page in that Deneb is so obvious and important a star and misplaced so drastically that the star that is identified as Deneb in Traveller should be renamed something else. Deneb should be noted in its real location as it is so close to the galactic equator (1º or so) that it serves as a good reference point for the map.

Hopefully this works:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhOy6SzueEkKjqhwidjL04yhIkSCKg?e=nQ5Hcb

That is a video for the correction from TravellerMap coordinates to correct galactic longitude and distance, to get a sense of the dominant corrective motion. The dominant corrective motion does seem to be counterclockwise, with a few instances of clockwise motion and some obvious instances of just being completely in the wrong direction.

This required me to log into my Microsoft account. For someone that doesn't have such an account they may not be able to see this. And then I got a "Problem loading video" screen, which I normally blame on my network, but it's another potential problem.

Back