• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Real stars and their Traveller systems

This required me to log into my Microsoft account. For someone that doesn't have such an account they may not be able to see this. And then I got a "Problem loading video" screen, which I normally blame on my network, but it's another potential problem.

That's unfortunate. I checked it with a private browser tab and it worked without having to login. It's difficult to share video into the COTI discussion, unfortunately. Here's the motion gif version : https://i.imgur.com/bLmngLZ.gifv

Applying a 23º rotation gets Alpha Centauri in Centaurus at least:

But it is clear a lot of stars are way off, totally missing their constellations. Sirius should be in Canis Major but is in Auriga - closer, but still off. Tau Ceti is in Perseus. Epsilon Indi is in Cygnus, 70 Ophiuchi is in Sagitta, 61 Cygni is in Scutum, where Ross 154 is now. Barnard's Star is in Scorpius, Ross 128 is in Vela instead of Virgo. Lalande 21185 mode from the correct constellation (Ursa Major) into Puppis. Procyon is in Monoceros rather than Canis Minor. Epsilon Eridani is in Perseus.

The zones of the constellations are set based on how they intersect the galactic equator (latitude=0º), and some of the canon stars are in constellations which are not galactic equatorial constellations. Eridani is far to the galactic south, for example, and Boötes (containing Arcturus) is far to the galactic north.

In the original data (no rotation) It is perplexing that Deneb got moved from it's role as brightest star in Cygnus - which is a galactic-equatorial constellation and thus easy to place its stars on the traveller 2d map correctly - to Scutum.

Back