• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ship's Locker Equipment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phydaux:

30 2 months Food Tablets
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are these some form of rations?

------------------
I am increasingly of the opinion that RPGs are by the nature of their creation subjective phenomenon. due to the interaction between game designers, game masters, and game players all definitions, rules, settings, and adventures are mutable in acordance with the uncertainty principle as expounded by Heisenburg. This is of course merely my point of view.

David Shayne

yeah. one bottle contains 60 pills. the pills offer enough nutrition for one person for 24 hours.

so

30 bottles, each with 2 months worth of food tablets for 1 person.

so 30 people could live for 2 months, or 10 people could live for 6 months, etc.

the Vapor Canteens extract one quart of water from the air, if left alone in a standard atmosphere for 8 hours.

it's your basic high-tech survival stuff.

you see, the first ever character i ever made, ever, DIED in character creation. the second mustered out of the scouts with a ship. on his very first jump, he misjumped into deep space. no extra food or water onboard, no low births. 4 PCs died of starvation.

my GM was a dick!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phydaux:

the Vapor Canteens extract one quart of water from the air, if left alone in a standard atmosphere for 8 hours.

it's your basic high-tech survival stuff.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David Drake used these in his novel 'The Voyage'; they were called condensing canteens.

Since I live in a moderately humid portion of the SouthEast USA, I could appreciate that concept
smile.gif

------------------
Joe Brown

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fulacin Highport:
David Drake used these in his novel 'The Voyage'; they were called condensing canteens.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I first ran across these in a series of stories in Analog SF/SF Magazine back in the 1960s. (Sorry, I forget the author) In the stories a mixed bag of non-violent felons (as an alternative to prison) were dropped on an uninhabited planet, and told to make it to the dust-off point (where there are cabins and hot water) in thirty(?) days. How many make it determines the colonization potential of the planet.
(Of course Our Hero and the Fat Man commit a series of petty crimes just to get on these expeditions.)

IIRC, the equipment consisted of
1) A map and compass
2) A fire starter
3) A silvery suit with hood good for all seasons in temperate climates and mosquito proof.
2) A pellet pistol poisonous to local wildlife, but harmless to humans
3) An air-absorbtion canteen
4) An "Analog Food Mill" which processed any organic matter into bland but nutricious food.
I do not recall a knife.

The canteen and food mlll had different flavor settings (I recall "lemonade" and "beef") and the food mill had a energy source that blew up like a satchel charge if crushed (or eaten by local megafauna).

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bob (edited 07 November 2001).]

Every half-decent ship must of course have the Holy Hand Grenade in the ship's locker to use against those nasty critters that might come to inhabit/invade a ship...OK, OK, old joke, sorry.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJP:
Every half-decent ship must of course have the Holy Hand Grenade in the ship's locker to use against those nasty critters that might come to inhabit/invade a ship...OK, OK, old joke, sorry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You never visited the Votrox 12, planet of the killer bunny rabbits. Be afraid, be very afraid...

Back