• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Snub SMG Questions

Originally posted by womble:
I always envisaged the snub pistol as having a dirty great calibre - 30mm or more - so it could pack a significant enough warhead to inflict damage on personnel whenit was only travelling at baseball speeds.
T4 has a 25mm " Heavy Snub SMG " that is described as acting more like a auto GL but looking like a "sawed off" auto shotgun.

FWIW, here's an in game sound affect (from irc chat) ponk fooosh fooosh fooosh fooosh BOOOOOOOOM
:cool:
toast.gif

(regular or HESH rounds)
(BWAZAPPPPPP for electrostatic rounds)

<Wei-bingbi Ieshizu adjusts her aim and pulls the trigger again>
*clik*

Casey

If you are looking for shipboard weapons, you can't go wrong with pump-action shotguns with sawn-off barrels (known as 'deck-sweepers'). The best ammunition to use with these would be some sort of flechette round, or a smaller gauge shot, so as not to penetrate the hull of the vessel. The American Army developed some interesting combat shotguns in the 80's under the CAWS programme.

With regards to recoil, I know from experience that the silenced Sten SMG (9mm) gives off no recoil whatsoever and you don't hear a thing. If it wasn't for the metal target toppling over and the little whisp of smoke out the end of the barrel, I would have sworn I was dry-firing when I pulled the trigger!

If you are looking for a fully automatic pistol, try googling with the word 'Skorpion'. This is a fully auto snub-SMG, which is the size of a pistol. (Developed by the Russians in the 60's/70's for tank crews). Accuracy goes out of the window due to a crazy muzzle-climb and the spent cases shoot directly up into your face, which can be a little disconcerting at first! Can't remember the calibre, but it was small. A cool weapon to let rip in a closed environment. (I'm speaking from personal experience with this weapon too).

These would all be low-tech and therefore fairly cheap.

The UZi, Sten, Sterling, MP40, and a host of other 9mmP SMGs are supposed to be the archaic equivalents of the various Traveller systems models. Adding a silencer to SMG in CT/MT doesn't do anything to recoil game-wise, are you
saying it should?

The idea is that the snub guns can be used in low or null gee and the recoil can be compensated for with training.

Originally posted by Tucker:
The idea is that the snub guns can be used in low or null gee and the recoil can be compensated for with training.
Only to a certain extent. Training won't let you violate the laws of physics. As long as you have some kind of magnetic (or Gecko like) boots, you'll be OK. If you are in freefall, momentum will be equalized. Bullets go one direction and you go the other. albeit at a much reduced velocity.

That, and the silenced versions usually shoot heavy subsonic rounds, with differing combat characteristics from standard ammo.

Originally posted by Stilletto_Rebel:
If you are looking for shipboard weapons, you can't go wrong with pump-action shotguns with sawn-off barrels (known as 'deck-sweepers'). The best ammunition to use with these would be some sort of flechette round, or a smaller gauge shot, so as not to penetrate the hull of the vessel. The American Army developed some interesting combat shotguns in the 80's under the CAWS programme.
There are no Traveller smallarms that are likely to penetrate a ships hull. Bear in mind that it takes a 1000 point to make a meter sized home in a bulkhead, and the hull is going to be at leat that strong. It going to take something like 100 point just to make a small hole. Even a FGMP-15 can only manage 96 point max damage, and so is unlikely to hull a ship without repeat shots to the same point.

Further, the effectiveness of shotguns is generally exaggerated. At 20 feet (the typical sized room) a pattern of shot is only a few inches wide. Even cutting the barrel down doesn't increase the group size by much. I own a (registered) 10.5" Benelli 12 gauge shotgun and at 20 feet all the pellets fall into a B-21 man silhouette.

SBShotgun.jpg

One the oither hand, the destructiveness of a 12ga. blast delivered at shoprt range is not to be underestimated. Arm and leg hits can become amputations, while shots to the head or chests are generally fatal in short order. few (equivalent tech) weapons can match the short range killing power of the shotgun.

If you are looking for a fully automatic pistol, try googling with the word 'Skorpion'. This is a fully auto snub-SMG, which is the size of a pistol. (Developed by the Russians in the 60's/70's for tank crews). Accuracy goes out of the window due to a crazy muzzle-climb and the spent cases shoot directly up into your face, which can be a little disconcerting at first! Can't remember the calibre, but it was small. A cool weapon to let rip in a closed environment. (I'm speaking from personal experience with this weapon too).
The Vz 61 Skorpion is a Czech weapon, a purely commercial venture, designed by Miroslav Ribarzh and chambered in the relatively anemic .32 ACP (known is Europe as the 7.65mm). You may be confusing it with the 9x18mm Stechkin (APS) machine pistol which was issued to Soviet tankers.

The Skorpion is an interesting weapon as it is something between a machine pistol and a submachinegun. There are a large variety of machine pistols, ranging from the Mauser C-96 derived Schnellfeuer to mdern select fire version of the Beretta 92 (93R http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6144/93r.htm) and Glock-17 (Glock-18 http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/18/).

In general use, machine pistols haven't proved to be too effective as they are generally too had to control for anything more than the first one or two rounds. Still, they are interesting weapons and there are a huge number of them, from tiny .22 caliber Trejos to larger weapons lke the Stechkin.

Originally posted by Straybow:
That, and the silenced versions usually shoot heavy subsonic rounds, with differing combat characteristics from standard ammo.
The difference is not significant, except in the noise generated - particularly ion the case of military ammunition, which is all ball type full metal case. a 147 gn bullet going 1100 fps is not going to be much different from a 125gn one going 1250 fps - at least as far as Traveller is considered.

Originally posted by Corejob:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tucker:
Only to a certain extent. Training won't let you violate the laws of physics. As long as you have some kind of magnetic (or Gecko like) boots, you'll be OK. If you are in freefall, momentum will be equalized. Bullets go one direction and you go the other. albeit at a much reduced velocity. </font>[/QUOTE]Yep. Compensate to me meant " be able to do it at all". I have absolutely no combat arms experience, and same for free-fall, I assumed stuff like ZeroG skills gave a PC the ability to fight with whatever in that environ. The physics of the situation ain't lost on me, I just do what them rules tell me to.

Back