• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Space Dinos

Blue Ghost

SOC-14 5K
Knight
So I'm watching lots of documentaries on Earth's natural history, and I'm reminded of the intelligent Hhkar in GURPS Traveller. I'm curious, how much do people make use of the GURPS flavor aliens.

Some seem real interesting, others seem a little misplaced. Does anyone have any stories they'd like to share?

Wow, that many huh? Yeah, me too. Spacefaring dinos in Traveller just feel like a pre-teen dino-fan-boy marketing decision.

Oh well :)

Our GT games were mostly human-centric; aliens were only used as background color. In my twenty years of Traveller and more than ten with GT there has been one Vargr, one Zhodani, and one Darrian player character. :)

But, hey I will try to incorporate dinos in my next campaign and than tell you. ;)

Wow, that many huh? Yeah, me too. Spacefaring dinos in Traveller just feel like a pre-teen dino-fan-boy marketing decision.

Oh well :)

This forum doesn't see too many GURPS players. But I do use dragons in Traveller as one-shot games, to show players how non-GURPS Traveller works.

So I'm watching lots of documentaries on Earth's natural history, and I'm reminded of the intelligent Hhkar in GURPS Traveller. I'm curious, how much do people make use of the GURPS flavor aliens.

Some seem real interesting, others seem a little misplaced. Does anyone have any stories they'd like to share?

I take creatures from fantasy games and turn them into alien life forms.

Mind Flayers ftw.

I'll use fire-exhaling wing-ish lizards in moon caves in Traveller. No problem.

I won't use any of GURPS Humanti though. Too much humans wearing Star Trek alien masks.

The Clotho I like, but as themselves. The Addaxur they ain't.

If you use all of the races listed in Behind the Claw, the Marches are incredibly alien heavy. See that list that Don posted in the T5 area for a quick summary. Yeesh.

Valkyrie? No. Just no. If I wanted to play the fourth and fifth books of Chalker's Well of Souls series, that would be a different story.

A couple of the Humaniti examples are clearly NPC material, but in that context are no problem.

I think the Inheritors need a "Darrian Dialback", but I would use them if I got into that particular back alley at all.

The Hkhar really need some work, IMHO. I'm inclined to go more Utahraptor than mini-Allosaur, or go all the way to Merseian.

I won't use any of GURPS Humanti though. Too much humans wearing Star Trek alien masks.
Since they are, in fact, Human, I'm not sure I see the problem.

I've always found that to be one of the strengths of the Traveller OTU: There is a believable rationale for the existence of humanoid/hominine-looking "aliens" (i.e. they are hominine/human-derived).

The simple fact is that most players lean toward playing long-term characters that they can identify with on a physical/social/psychological level, which is understandable. It is very difficult to "immerse" yourself into a long-term campaign character that has a totally alien psychology (except for some highly-experienced and dedicated role-players). Having the various branches of Humaniti as PC-options allows for a range of "believable" alien character types that are desirable to play.

The simple fact of the matter is (IMO), the more "alien" an independently evolved species is, the more believable and interesting it is in general from a Hard-SF standpoint. And also equally less desirable as a PC-choice. The reverse is likewise true: the more desirable alien races to run as PCs tend to generally be less believable simply because they tend to be more human-like in psychology, motivation, and physical form.

For example, I think the Hivers are a fascinating and well-developed, truly "alien" species - but I wouldn't want to play one (at least not as a long-term character in a campaign). OTOH, I really like the Aslan (and they would be my first choice as a non-human PC species to play) - but they are probably the least believable in a Hard-SF, realism sense.

The Clotho I like, but as themselves. The Addaxur they ain't.

Agreed. I think DonM's description of the Addaxur in MgT Alien Module 4: Zhodani is much closer to how I imagined them from CT where they were first introduced.

However, I really do like the write-up of the Clotho in GT: Alien Races 1. So I simply use them as another species outside Imperial borders somewhere beyond the Spinward Frontier.

Last edited:
Based on the thread-OP, my general feeling is that any species which is independent of Terran-origin should truly be as "alien" as possible. This is not to say that there might not be some analogs or similarities in certain ways, but it should always be remembered that life that is independent of Earth should not necessarily follow the "tropes" of Earth-life.

If you are designing a species that you envision as having certain characteristics that remind humans of reptiles (or dinosaurs), the most important thing you can do in your mind is divest yourself of the thought that it is "like a dinosaur" or "like a reptile". Reptiles (et al) are a taxonomic classification of Terran life. There are NO reptiles on other worlds that are not Earth-derivative. They may look "reptiloid" (in fact, I often further distance myself from that comparison in my mind by using a term such as "pseudo-reptiloid" or "pseudo-mammaloid" , etc)), but they are NOT reptiles (or mammals). Which means that morphological structures and biological processes that you would normally consider part of reptilian biology would most likely NOT be paralleled in a "reptiloid" alien. (I.e. Just because an alien has a few features reminiscent of reptiles does not necessarily imply that they are cold-blooded, egg-laying, etc - or even that they have a "spinal cord" along a "backbone" that comprises a central nervous system).

Last edited:
Back