• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Speculative Traders

Hi !

What a bunch of creative people here.
Really a very sophisticated model Andrew !

Heres the next turn of Merts crude starships:
Lanthan4.jpg

I distributed windows according to Angus deckplans, shifted the scoops inside the outline and down to deck B, amplified the surface structure a bit, added some valves, removed an ambient light and added a weak blue spot light.
Well, in the next turn I will add weapons and engine exteriors...

and from the top:
Lanthan4top.jpg

Perhaps I have to increase the hull texture resolution ? Its just 500x600 now.

And the front:
Lanthan4front.jpg

Regards,

Mert

Okay, it's getting better. I'd REALLY dim that blue spot down, though. So that it's quite dark. The shadowed side is still way too bright.
Also, yes. Increase the bump texture to at least 1000 if not 1500 or 2000.
And don't just blow it up, it won't make any difference. Redraw it.
Also, you really need to remove that middle planet completely. It's making a mess of the background image. I'll do it if you want to mail me the image.

Crow

Wow! :eek:

Not one, but two great models of the Petal, woohoo!

Andrew, I love your design, the only point I'd make is that the area either side of the bridge will need to fit fuel scoops and (on one side) a close to full-height sickbay. Also remember that there should be a visible sandcaster turret top and bottom, and a chin-mounted mining laser. But, this is the closest to my own idea for the ship. Well done!

Mert, it's coming along nicely. Keep going! (I'm not really sure what Crow's saying, but I am sure it's good advice!) :D

"Andrew, I love it!"

I'm gonna frame that and put it on my wall!

"The segmentation around the hull is a really nice idea."

I got the idea from one of your pics.

"Can you model the 'head' into the shoulders to get rid of that sharp clipping line?"

I'll see what I can do.

Mert, that's looking good. I like your windows. Three things:

1. I'm not keen on those brown bits on top.

2. Use a plain background until the model is finished, so we can see it better.

3. Your navigation lights are reversed!

The problem I feel with the 'brown bits on top' is that you (Mert) are using the bump map to do your modelling for you. You really shouldn't. Bump maps are fine for adding a specular effect to a surface and should ideally be used for subtle surface detail. They're not really designed for such substantial details as engine parts really - which is what I assume those areas on top are for.
You really need to model those sections.

Crow

Outstanding!

What are you lighting that with? A hand-made light dome or a realistic, radiosity, light tracer doohickey?

I'm telling you, If you don't texture this baby properly and do it justice, I'll never forgive you. PM or E-Mail me if you want any advice.

Keep it up.

Crow

PS - I still think the head needs to flow into the shoulders more smoothly.

Dang, that's good Andrew.

As an aside, I love the way these things are rendered, with the matt white plane and textures. Make it look quite real I think. Or maybe it's the lighting - looks like some kind of area light is being used, judging by the fuzzy shadows?

Having just wandered over to see what eight pages of discussion was all about, I have to ask if you'd like another take on the deckplans?

Though I do like what's been done already, no question.

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
Having just wandered over to see what eight pages of discussion was all about, I have to ask if you'd like another take on the deckplans?

Though I do like what's been done already, no question.
No problem, the more the merrier ... ;)

Back