• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Speculative Traders

I'm not sure there's enough interest to warrant an entire board for Traveller 3D.

Traveller art in general maybe...

Mert, yeah. The side opposite from the main yellowy light needs to be almost complete darkness except for a feitn light to pick out the shape of the hull and certain features. The higher the contrast in the lighting, the more defined the shape is. However, you don't want to go too far or you won't see anything in the shadows =)

Crow

Wow, guys! I just checked this thread out today, and the work here is awesome! Great talent, all the way around!

Keep On Travelling,
Flynn

Hi !

Next turn.
I integrated the turrets a bit, added a valve below the bridge, intensified sun yellow coloring and dimmed the fill light another bit..

Here it is:
Lamthan4g.jpg

Rendering takes about 20 minutes right now, so modelling cycles become a bit longer....)

Just talking about modelling.
Andrew, how did you do that ?
I tried with SDS modelling, but results are bad.

Crow, I am pretty sure, that a Traveller Art board will be quite busy

So, Hunter, could You help us please ?

Regards,

Mert

Regards,

Mert

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
I'm not sure there's enough interest to warrant an entire board for Traveller 3D.

Traveller art in general maybe...
Yeah, that'd be a good idea. I'm sure you'd get more artists coming out of the woodwork too if there was such a board.

Mert, turn it riiiiiight down.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the brightness of the fill light should be about 2.

To be fair to you, it looks okay like it is, I just think it'd look better with a tad more contrast. The brightness of the yellow light is fine, the blue fill light needs to be almost off.

Incidentally are there any other lights than those two?

With regards to general Traveller art, I'd like to see Baron Saarthuran contributing visually more often. I'm an avid follower of the Sidur Haskey design consortium. It's some of the most interesting and original Traveller stuff I've seen.

Crow

Originally posted by TheEngineer:
I integrated the turrets a bit, added a valve below the bridge, intensified sun yellow coloring and dimmed the fill light another bit..
Smegging beautiful mate!!!

Looking forward to seeing the Archduke receive a batch of these to help expand trade into Gateway sector.

Hi folks !

Crow, I will do so Masterrrrrrr!
Oopps, I missed one default light. The camera flashlight, which illuminates from the front....

Angus, is there any kind of symbol or name You would like to have on the body of the ship ?

Last rendering will be updated today evening CET.

Regards,

Mert

Angus, is there any kind of symbol or name You would like to have on the body of the ship?
Mert,

Not sure if I'm in the right timezone to catch you, but I'd suggest the following:
1. Make the yellow more gold and the gray darker, see Ted's ship again for details.
2. If it is the Archduke's livery then use the symbol from that ship too (a small wedge swooping around a crescent).
3. If you can get the Vilani font, then all well and good, you can then add some random Vilani lettering (IIRC search for Bilanidin - actually I'll just email it to you)

The ship's name should be the one from my example here: Krondark's Wave

Thanks!

Hi Angus !

Catched...
1 - is done...
2 - is in work...
3 - there should be a Vilani font somewhere, but I did not find it yet...

The new file will be uploaded in perhaps 7 hours....

Okay, honking great engines it is then.

BTW, I stole those triangular fins from the Millenium Falcon.

I'm tweaking the rear end a bit, but it's causing me a bit of grief. It's a pain in the...aft bulkhead...

"Rendering takes about 20 minutes right now"

Yikes! Even with the light dome, mine only takes about a minute. Admittedly, I've got an obscenely powerful new machine, and C4D does render very quickly.

"Just talking about modelling.
I tried with SDS modelling, but results are bad."

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...

I'll do a brief tutorial later.

"With regards to general Traveller art, I'd like to see Baron Saarthuran contributing visually more often. I'm an avid follower of the Sidur Haskey design consortium. It's some of the most interesting and original Traveller stuff I've seen."

Including some excellent physical models.

Hi !

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Okay, honking great engines it is then.

BTW, I stole those triangular fins from the Millenium Falcon.

I'm tweaking the rear end a bit, but it's causing me a bit of grief. It's a pain in the...aft bulkhead...

"Rendering takes about 20 minutes right now"

Yikes! Even with the light dome, mine only takes about a minute. Admittedly, I've got an obscenely powerful new machine, and C4D does render very quickly.
Hey, Andrew, start to do Your texturing work :D
Displacement mapping and texture blurring absorbs most of the time...

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton, too:
"Just talking about modelling.
I tried with SDS modelling, but results are bad."

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...
Oops. :eek:

Hi Andrew !

VERY nice back end

This girl really is in shape....

Well heres my next pic:
Lamthan5a.jpg

I changed illumination again, made the body darker, introduced a sportive stripe, changed the windows a bit, changed the bridge and added labels and symbols at the top.
In the next turn I will enhance the labelling, add the airraft/lifeboat doors at the top and add minor attachments (antennas, lights and stuff..)

Best regards,

Mert

I changed illumination again, made the body darker, introduced a sportive stripe, changed the windows a bit, changed the bridge and added labels and symbols at the top.
In the next turn I will enhance the labelling, add the airraft/lifeboat doors at the top and add minor attachments (antennas, lights and stuff..)
Sweet!

You should have the fonts arriving in your inbox ... at least I haven't received any errors and sent them 12 hours ago.

Heh. My last post was actually in reply to Andrew's image but Mert must've posted just before me.
Not that it matters because it applies to both models equally.

Mert. Now that's what I was talking about. Your shadows look great.
What may be needed now is the addition of some specular to the surface to intensify the light reflections on edges and corners. It's all a little flat at the moment.

Have you got a specular slot in the material editor? If so, a specular map would allow for panelling with various levels of specularity - which would look nice.

The main yellow light may be a little too yellowy too. It's difficult to tell. It may just be the colours on the surface.
Try the following RGB values. For the Main light 255 250 230 (RGB respectively) and for the fill light, 163 173 179

Anyways, good going both. Keep it up.

Crow

Hi Masterrrrr !

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
Heh. My last post was actually in reply to Andrew's image but Mert must've posted just before me.
Not that it matters because it applies to both models equally.
Sorry for fiddeling in between, but I was lazy yesterday evening.
Anyway, Youre very welcome

Mert. Now that's what I was talking about. Your shadows look great.
What may be needed now is the addition of some specular to the surface to intensify the light reflections on edges and corners. It's all a little flat at the moment.
Have you got a specular slot in the material editor? If so, a specular map would allow for panelling with various levels of specularity - which would look nice.
I will try to add some specularity, perhaps based on a "weathered" texture so that it does not look to "clean and polished"

I really would like the ship to appear rather old, far travelled and a bit dirty...

The main yellow light may be a little too yellowy too. It's difficult to tell. It may just be the colours on the surface.
Try the following RGB values. For the Main light 255 250 230 (RGB respectively) and for the fill light, 163 173 179
Will try do so right now

R3D uses a 0 to 1 value range for channel values, but I guess/hope its a linear relation.

Angus,
thank You very much for the font sets.
I will use them in the next release and provide two variants, one with vilani scheme and one with "Archduke" pattern. I will fix the blue/black thing two.

Regards,

Mert
0750 CET

Back