• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starship Programs: Load-Outs, New Programs

Operating Systems (O/S)

All Computer Models purchased come with an O/S capable of running the computer's hardware, peripherals, and software.

Note: The following history contains IMTU elements.

Circa -20, and Cleon's campaign to found an Empire was well under way. Cleon was pushing for various forms of technology exchange between the Ziru Sirka and the Sylean Federation in advance of their eventual merger. A conference to this effect was held on Vland. In what later turned out to be an historic event, software engineers from Naasirka and Illyrian Energetics (naturally, a wholly owned subsidiary of Zhunastu Heavy Industries), met and mixed in a room party at a hotel near the conference. They became fairly friendly and started up talks about their projects currently underway. The Illyrian engineers revealed many details of their works, but the Vilani, without direct orders from their superiors, characteristically refused to give more than cursory details. Illyrian managers, wielding Cleon's name like a knife, managed to persuade Naasirka's management at the conference to give the necessary permissions.

Many efforts came of this breaking of the log jam, so to speak. One of the least well-known, but perhaps most far-reaching, was the effort by two limited groups on each side, both working on starship operating system software.

By 12, Naasirka had absorbed the software authoring elements of Illyrian Energetics from the Imperial Family's holding corporation, and spun off a new corporation. They searched extensively to locate the headquarters of the new company, and found that a location near but not on Capital would save substantial sums of money in the long run. The terraforming activities the Imperial Family was conducting on Ion/Core were viewed as a sign of a bright future for the world, and Ion Systems Software was born.

Even by that stage, the engineers from the two groups had been laboring for years to craft a new commercial O/S for starship computers based on the best elements of Ziru Sirka and Sylean know-how.

In 17, the first public version of the new much heralded software was released. Dubbed the Starflight O/S, Naasirka trumpeted the O/S's features as a means to accelerate their own computer sales in the Model 1-6 range (which it was intended to support).

Naasirka Starflight™ O/S v124.3.0001 Imperial ©0017-1110

Features:
</font>
  • Excellent for Model 1-6 Computers (Naasirka).</font>
  • Supports "bis" Models (for a slight fee, a patch and license for "fib" model compatibility is available: MCr.1).</font>
  • Compatible with Naasirka Additional Capacity&#153;.</font>
  • Compatible with Naasirka Circuitry Firewalls&#153;.</font>
  • Compatible with Naasirka Backup Peripherals&#153;.</font>
  • Compatible with Imperial Edict 52. (Mandating Computer hardware and software support for anti-tampering features on starship transponders; and a laundry list of other points relating to technological compatibility of systems in the Imperial Government).</font>
  • Built-In Automatic Security Scanning (+4 DM on Computer Security rolls).</font>
  • Basic Diagnostics (Identify general sources of systems causing problems, pressure leak locales, etc., by using a relevant Skill).</font>
  • Full Communications and Sensors (relevant Skill rolls may be made to use these systems; additional device-specific software may be useful).</font>
  • Basic Avionics (relevant Skill rolls may be made to use these systems at -4 DM; additional device-specific software is recommended; Maneuver, etc.).</font>
  • Full Engineering (Skills rolls may be made at no DM).</font>
  • Full Peripherals (Ships normal built-in systems, client terminals, irises, powered internal doors and powered external hatches, variably configurable staterooms, elevators, etc., may be operated by using a Computer Skill roll).</font>
  • File System (computer file system hierarchy management; all media types are fully manageable).</font>
  • User Shell (GUI-Shell providing user-friendly (relatively speaking) access to the O/S's features and installed software; Computer Skill required to use effectively).</font>
  • Productivity (Suite of office-type applications. Accountancy, Inventory, Layout, Graphics Modeling, Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Database, Presentation, Messaging, Personal Journals and logs; every terminal connected may run its own copy: Computer Skill needed to use effectively).</font>
  • Backup (Computer Skill: A complete suite of O/S and user application imaging and user data archiving). Backup peripherals are highly recommended.</font>
  • Entertainment Suite: A collection of games and diversions. The exact package varies by the sector in which the installation was performed. Typically involves at least 5,000 games of various kinds (from the modern day designs to copies from software ages old via compatibility engines).</font>
  • System Reporting (Computer Skill: System logs and archives all system actions and errors).</font>
  • Official Ship's Log (Tamper-resistant logging of System Reports and Crew Reports. System Reports are kept for one month, Crew Reports for 40 years).</font>

Well, I'm sure I've missed potential line-items. Suggestions are appreciated.

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
I'll have to read read it. Um. Can you post the link?
Well, I am not sure how to do that, but it is within a couple of threads of this one right now. "Revamp of ship's computers"

Well, I think we all overlooked a major set of programs. Computer Based Training for xxxxxx. (xxxxx being the subject you are attempting to learn.) This would work for all accademic skills as well as level 0 or level 1 in many other skills like engineering. Level 0 and 1 take 1 space each, higher levels might take more or would require a higher difficulty level task roll to suceed. For example, engineering 1: after 30 hours of study, attempt a routine roll with inteligence and education as the primary stats. If you make the simple task, but not the routine you get level 0. Can retry each week you spend 5+ hours of study time after that. Higher levels of skill increase the difficulty level.

Personality Simulation

Personality Simulation programs appear at TL-12. They are designed to predict what a sophont would do in any given circumstance, based on past actions and statements. They require, as a basis to run, an extensive database of known past actions based on specific known circumstances, a Personality Profile. Because of this, these programs do not work at all on children (especially for those species, like Humaniti, whose children do not complete higher-order neural development until early adulthood). They are also fairly unreliable when the database of past actions and statements is incomplete. People who are secretive or who have remained unobtrusive their whole lives are often effectively impossible to read. (Note: PCs have the PC Glow, and any attempt to read them is at a -2 DM.)

Personality Simulation programs are used by the Imperial Government, Megacorporations, and the Imperial Navy and Marines. They are used as first-line vetting and revetting loyalty checkers, and more importantly, to try and determine the actions of political or military figures of importance.

Even the best Personality Simulations are not completely perfect, and do not give accurate results at all times, but they are frightening tools when used by only one side of a conflict.

Personality Simulation programs may also be used to counter themselves. By inputing a complete cooperatively-produced Personality Profile, an individual may attempt to see what they themselves would most likely do in a given situation, and then take some other action, and thus foil someone else's attempt to "read" them.

These programs may not run on Computer Models with a TL lower than the TL of the program itself. They are also some of the most expensive programs known.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Costs, Space, TL, History Limits, DM
Std Min
TL History History Cost Space DM
12 50 yrs 30 MCr20 10 0
13 40 yrs 20 MCr30 20 +1
14 30 yrs 10 MCr40 30 +2
15 20 yrs 10 MCr50 40 +3</pre>[/QUOTE]The Standard History is the length of the personality profile required for basic functioning.

The Minimum History is the absolute smallest personality profile, any less, and results are effectively random.

The DM is a basic bonus for the increasing sophistication of the programming.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">General Personality Profile DMs
Years Years
Under DM Over DM
10 -1 10 +1
20 -2 20 +2
N/A N/A 50 +3
N/A N/A 100 +4</pre>[/QUOTE]Years Under: The penalty for having an incomplete personality profile.

Years Over: A bonus is definitely available for having a lengthier than normal personality profile.

Pesonality Profiles are based on making at least one recorded action or statement per week; in which the reasons for and the facts about the actions or statements are known. For a full 50 year history at TL-12, this obviously requires a massive and accurate database.

The actions or statements need not be public, they only need to be known to the compiler of the Personality Profile.

It is up to the GM to determine if any sophont has made sufficient known actions or statements for long enough to have a complete Personality Profile.

Most active public figures are going to be relatively easy to get full profiles on.

For all those who are not so forthcoming, it is the job of various intelligence agencies to compile sufficient information to make up the difference.

For indivdiuals who conduct Counter-Profile activities (noted above), all time spent doing things other than the predicted actions counts as negative information that actualy penalizes any profile compiler's activities. However, this is quite difficult. People are who they are, and on important issues, they frequently can't help doing exactly what their personality and memory history tells them that they should do.

As far as game mechanics go, it's probably impossible to know just how far anyone has compiled information of whatever quality for certain about anyone. Simply wing it and assign arbitrary values for most cases. Decide that entity X knows Y years on sophont Z. If sophont Z is a secretive intelligence agent, well, unfortunately, entity X only has 12 weeks of known actions or statements after five years of investigation.

Roll Computer Skill vs. Target 8 (1 hour/6 hours into the future the target prediction is being made), with all DMs noted above, to successfuly predict an action or statement that is projected to occur no more than 6 hours in the future based on specific inputs (which in turn must actually happen to the sophont in question, or must have just happened). For each 6 hours beyond the first, apply a -1 DM. Roll Psychology vs. Target 8 (1 hour) to try and use judgement to offset one -1 DM penalty for extra time. Each attempt past the first to offest an extra time penalty incurs its own -1 DM on successive Psychology rolls to offest extra time penalties (requires Psychology-3 to even try).

Each known action or statement must be successfully interpreted and compiled into a Personality Profile. Requires Psychology-3 to even try. Roll vs. Target 8 (1 hour). DM -2 if facts surrounding action or statement are less than 100% certain. DM -4 if facts are less than 90% certain. If facts are less than 80% certain, the action or statement is useless and must be discarded.

In individual cases where it is necessary to decide on the validity of facts surrounding an action or statement, it is up to the GM to assign a validity rating (just arbitrarily assign a value based on what the PCs say they know vs. what you know happened).

It is a Liaison or Psychology roll vs. Target 8 to determine the validity rating of facts (8 hours of fact checking). Most professional profile-compilers routinely check their facts before committing them to the Personality Profile. Failure to successfully identify a useless action or statement, and it's commitment to the Personality Profile, actually subtracts the value of that action or statement from the total on file (although there is no way to tell this under normal operations; only the GM will know).

The truth of any prediction is unknown until the event specified by the prediction comes to pass (and any variance in the conditions specified and the actual events that occur almost always causes an error of some degree).

The skill Psychology may be considered a cascade variant of Medical.

As mentioned above, it is possible to voluntarily cooperate in the compilation of a Personality Profile. Each hour of interviews (min. Psychology-3, Roll vs. Target 8 for each hour) qualifies as 8 actions or statements made over a normal two month period. Typically, one form of truth detection or another is employed simultaneously during this process to assure validity of the interview facts.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Personality Profile Costs

Research Cost Interview Cost
10 yrs MCr1 60 hrs KCr18

Cost for Research is x3 of the research subject is secretive; and is x5 if the subject is a recluse.</pre>[/QUOTE]Imperial Edict 3: It is forbidden to possess or use a Personality Profile of any member of the Imperial Family. Imprisonment or Death may be the punishment.

Most Ruling Nobles have passed similar, if less all-encompassing, laws within their own domains.

The heads of states of most governments view the use or existence of Personality Profiles on themselves in a poor light.

Some worlds have laws against their ownership, use, or creation.

Intelligence forces from all polities use them extensively.

----------------------------
Wow, that turned out to be longer than I thought.

----------------------------
EDIT--Shortly after posting.
Added in a section about Psychology and cooperative compliation of a Personality Profile. Also added a section about legality, etc.
EDIT--04/18/2005--1725--MST
Added costs to produce Personality Profiles. Minor corrections.
EDIT--05/28/2005--0027--MDT
Corrected a few typos.
EDIT--05/27/2007--0754--MDT
Corrected a few more typos.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andy Fralix:
Well, I think we all overlooked a major set of programs. Computer Based Training for xxxxxx. [...]
There was at least one post about it before: Training Programs. </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry I had overlooked that one, but I had intended to mean something more like classroom lecture type of instruction installed in a computer program. I am taking a A+ cerification class right now and much of our instruction is on CD ROMs. I also worked for Walmart at one time and all of their training is online. They have a whole division that produces their training materials. Also most of your fast food outfits have either CD or VHS training films that are used to supply uniform training methods. I was thinking along the line of self study with testing avaliable at any A, B, or C class starport. You make your roll and you passed your test. Obviously this method would not work for blade, or firearms skills, but it would be great for physics or some of the higher math types.

Andy Fralix,

Can you post a complete chart (you're original post ends before completing the proposal)?
Sorry, but I don't have one. I was just posting the idea before I went to sleep or I would have forgoten it for a while. To tell the truth, I have too many loose ends to take care of right now I don't have the time either. If you have some thoughts, run with it.

What about this?

For accademics and basic training in things that can be taught in an accademic environment (ref has final say what can or can not be taught this way in his TU.)
Intro level instruction texts and simulations:
Cost 500 CR and use 1 space in computer. When student feels he has mastered the material, he pays a testing fee of 50 CR at a starport (A, B, or C class)and takes a test that requires 8+ (2D6) to pass (Dm +1 per 10 hours of study over 60 to a max of 5. May attempt to test faster by taking a -1 Dm per each 10 hours less than 60. Second Dm +1 if intelligence or education 10+ or -1 if intelligence or education 5-). If he passes, he gets level 0 in the skill. If he rolls 11+ (adjusted) he makes level 1.
Additional levels to max of 5 (ref may impose lower limit if skill requires than just accademic training)Cost 250 Cr per level and add 1 space per 2 levels.(The level 0 instruction is the program. Additional levels are add-ons that require the basic materials as well to function.)

As an example: Bill wants to study Legal. He can dedicate 10 hours per week in jump and 5 hours per week otherwise to his studies. The ref rules that he can learn Legal to a max of 3 by pure study methods. Bill has intelligence of 8 and education of 10 so he gets a +1 Dm for that. Bill is working as a steward on a liner that routinly makes 1 jump every 2 weeks so each 4 week period, he gets 30 hours of study time (Ref decides he must roll his intelligence or higher each month to stick to his routine or he only gets credit for 15 hours). After 4 months he has accumulated 90 hours and decides to take the test. He rolls dead average and gets a 7. 90 hours = +3 Dm plus his +1 for education =11 so he gets Legal 1. (He could have rolled a 4 and still have gotten Legal 0.) Thrilled with his sucess, Bill buys the materials for Legal 2. This time he gets careless and tests after only 50 hours. Again he rolls dead average. The -Dm for time spent offsets his stat Dm and he fails his test. After spend another month at his studies Bill tries the test again and rolls an 8 (adjusted to 10). Bill is now Legal 2 and has spent 1150 Cr (level 0, 500 plus level 1 & 2 at 250 each + 50 each for 3 tests)and took about 10 months time.

I would use this as a guideline with the ref making a few decisions based on his TU and how he thinks that should modify the results. For example he could impose higher passing rolls at higher levels or require more time depending on the subject.

This brings up another thought: Can Bill now sell this software or is it user specific? After all it's YTU.

Wow!
I haven't noticed this when it was first posted; but my look through it today found it to be useful to the extreme. Hacking for CT! VR-training for CT!

And I like the hacking system - I don't think I'll use it during standard ship combat (as opposed to covert/spefical forces boarding) as it will make it far different from my concept for fleet action (it's all a matter of flavor); I'll use it for covert actions, non-ship computer hacking and so on. All I have to do is find a way to run some of the Intrusion programs on small, cheap computers and I'll have classic (as opposed to VR) hacking - in the spirit of RL 1970's-1980's Phreaking/Hacking.

I envision hacking IMTU in a way similar to what is seen in System Shock's cutscenes; VR hacking is limited to high-quality systems and is usually done with VR gloves/goggles rather than a DNI; DNIs are rare and military-grade only, but give a nice bonus to any hacking attempt (VR or not).

My thing about computers is the number of "spaces" they have - either they should have more or they should have more per TL - e.g. a model/1 has 4 spaces at introduction, while it has 5-6 at the next, and so forth.

That or programs should be smaller. And they should be MUCH less expensive either way.

Originally posted by Jame:
My thing about computers is the number of "spaces" they have - either they should have more or they should have more per TL - e.g. a model/1 has 4 spaces at introduction, while it has 5-6 at the next, and so forth.

That or programs should be smaller. And they should be MUCH less expensive either way.
That's why I wrote the O/S rules example. The O/S running on the computer takes no spaces, and covers a lot of basic things.

Back