• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T20 Adventures at OwlCon, in February

Fellow UK Travellers, my Pass from the Wife has been pre-arranged for a few months now, so I'll see you all at Dragonmeet.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Shane

TexaCon, eh? That has a good ring to it.
Do you think there are enough Texan Travellers to make it worthwhile (i.e. actually doable)?

-Flynn

Originally posted by Flynn:
I have a small group that I run T20 for, once a month, and I really enjoy it. Alas, Texas is not the area of widespread Traveller-dom that the UK appears to be.

[...]

Seeking More Traveller In Texas,
Flynn
I should point out that almost half of our PBEM game is based in Texas (4 out of 9). And, I think there are 3-4 regulars here on CoTI that are from the Houston area. So, perhaps not as good as some other places, but still doing pretty well...

Ron

I think Texas and Massachusetts are tied for first runner up after the UK for overall activity.

Hmm. Maybe my wife's law firm could sponsor something if the Texan Travellers represent potential clients in health care law and insurance defense litigation.

Originally posted by Mythmere:
I think Texas and Massachusetts are tied for first runner up after the UK for overall activity.
Heh. Wycombe is the first place I have found that I have enough people interested in Traveller to make a group without strong-arming D&D people into joining the group, so the UK is pretty sparse...

Shane

[Edit: Corrected spelling errors from posting while drunk...
]

Good morning, All,

Three Day warning.... Three Day warning... T20 games to be run at OwlCon in Houston, the first one only three days from now.

Hope to see some of you there,
Flynn
Bringer of T20 to GenCon

Flynn,

If I can make it up to Owlcon on friday night. I might just show up and breeze in. *grin*

To make up for my horrid forgetfulness at Gencon!
I still wonder what i was not thinking when I forgot about those games.

B

Bruce,

You would be most welcome at my table.
And if you happen to run something yourself, even in open gaming, let me know, as I'd love to play, too.

Thanks,
Flynn

Gaming at OwlCon begins tomorrow! My first T20 session starts at 2000 hours (that's 8pm to you and me...)

See ya there,
Flynn

Heading out in a few hours for Houston... Hope to see some of you at OwlCon this weekend.

Enjoy,
Flynn

Good morning, All,

Just wanted to send out a quick little report on my OwlCon experience this year. This being my first year to attend an OwlCon, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. All in all, it was a great time, like a smaller GenCon, but without the costume contests and seminars.

First, let me say that I greatly dislike Houston traffic. I made excellent time to the Houston city limits on Friday afternoon, and then spent over an hour travelling one single solitary mile, before the wreckage of an accident scene was cleared and I was able to move on. I encountered similar progress heading home... next year, if I go, I will definitely try to plan for alternate routes.

However, despite the traffic, once I was at the Con, I really enjoyed myself. I ran two Traveller T20 games, one on Friday night and a second one on Sunday morning. I had a good time with the attendees (five the first game and six the second session). Members of a gaming group from San Antonio played in both, and told me after the second game that I had converted them to T20.
I also got to meet the Referee for the T20 PBEM game I've been playing for over a year, Ron Vutpadki. He's a great gamer, very personable, and outgoing; obviously he creates a good first impression. Meeting people you game with online can be pretty cool, and I'm glad I had this opportunity.

Saturday was my day to play instead of run games, and play I did. Saturday morning, I participated in a D&D Master Maze tournament. Two different teams raced through the huge dungeons they'd set up, fighting monsters in the way and exploring the mazes. The gamemasters had set up two separate dungeons (one for the good guys and one for the evil drow guys) using Dwarven Forge's Master Maze product line, and had covered the entire thing with swaths of black cloth. In a Fog Of War-like manner, portions were revealed as the characters explored the dungeon, and monster minis indicated the location of encounters. It was a well-executed scenario, but I must admit it was also my least favorite, because of a couple of gripy players. Oh, well.

Saturday afternoon, I participated in a Werewolf game set in the time of the Apocalypse, where all of the Werewolves were being destroyed and the World of Darkness was coming to an end. The world was covered in snow and ice, and frost giants and worgs roamed the countryside. I played a homid galliard, the loremaster of sorts for this Get of Fenris pack. A were-dragon came to record our tribe's favorite memories, so that they might survive beyond this time of Ragnarok. Our little pack, the youngest and least experience, was sent out on busy work, and ended up embroiled in a mission to rescue the were-dragon from the giants, who had been captured after leaving our tribe. The battle to save her was glorious, and though we took severe damage, we survived and succeeded. Then she revealed to us that they would keep chasing her, unless we could help distract them or even defeat the others that were coming. Knowing it would be our death, we accepted the deed of distracting her pursuers while she and our tribe's memories fled to safety. Before she left, I got the chance to sing the Last Song, the song of our pack's efforts to save her and save the tribe's memories. Nearly got a standing ovation for that one.
The final fight was brutal, but in the end, we died. We died well, though, and with much glory, and our Last Song would live on forever in the time after the Apocalypse. I won first place vote for the Best Roleplaying at that particular session, which I felt very proud of, considering the quality of gamers in that game. It was probably the most emotionally moving one shot I'd ever played in, and was the highlight of this weekend's experience for me.

Saturday night, I played in a Stargate SG-1 game. The GM had to finish making up characters and we had to choose equipment, so we started off about an hour late, but it was okay. We were new recruits making up two Stargate SG teams, SG-10 and SG-11. (BTW, SG-11 has been wiped out about four times in the series, for those who keep track. Guess which team I was on...) The scenario was fun, and seemed reminscent of Indiana Jones II, at least at first. But then Lady Fortune stepped in and held sway. I must have rolled four ones in a row, and all night, I only topped a natural four on my d20 maybe three times, although one of those three rolls was a natural twenty. I turned my poor die rolls into comic relief, and made the game fun and light-hearted for both myself and the GM. We laughed pretty hard at some of the antics that happened.
In the end, I once again earned first place for Best Roleplaying, but this time I think it was because I took my dice misfortune all in stride, and brought the mood up instead of down, leading to a fun game for everyone involved.

For winning first place in two sessions, I got to choose two gaming products from their box of prizes, so that was pretty cool. (I picked up Oathbound and Touched By The Gods, a total value of probably $45-50.) In addition, I found a copy of the practically sold-out Vampire: Gehenna sourcebook and an old CT product, Alien Realms, which I haven't seen in ages. Alien Realms cost me only five bucks, too.

(BTW, for those interested, DarksideComics.com was there, and they had a copy of the old Atlas of the Imperium, for ten bucks. There were a few other neat Traveller products there, but I had most of them, and limited resources with which to purchase. If this helps anyone, enjoy!)

OwlCon was, simply put, a good gaming weekend, and I had a blast! If everything works out well, I'm looking forward to going again next year, or at least at some point in the future.

Enjoy,
Flynn

BTW, Bruce, I think I missed you at OwlCon this year... that's two Cons now you were supposed to drop by. ;)

So, you going to GenCon Indy this year? Wanna make it three?
file_21.gif
I do look forward to meeting you sometime, Bruce, even if I have to offer cheeseburgers to do it.

Later days,
Flynn

Originally posted by Flynn:

I also got to meet the Referee for the T20 PBEM game I've been playing for over a year, Ron Vutpadki. He's a great gamer, very personable, and outgoing; obviously he creates a good first impression. Meeting people you game with online can be pretty cool, and I'm glad I had this opportunity.

What he forgot to mention is that he killed my character. In fact, my character was the only character who took any damage. :mad:

We'll just see what happens to his character in the PBEM game.
file_23.gif

<sotto voce to Flynn>Let's not mention the that I insisted that the rest of the crew should stay buttoned up onboard the far trader while the doc went unarmed into the complex that the characters highly suspected was full of Alien face hugger like critters. :D

Seriously, I had a great time. Hunter and Martin, I hope that you appreciate the good job that Flynn is doing introducing T20 to new players. He runs a good game, particularly for new players. I hope that you consider supporting him sometime: perhaps, providing "coupons" for Traveller's Aides to be given out to the top new player (by player vote) in his con games?

Ron

Flynn, come on dood. Sheesh...I just could'nt make it. And for the lamest of reasons, I did'nt want to pay X dollars to just come in and say ALLO.

But i heard it was a good con from a friend who went.

I will, in some capacity be at Gencon this year. And I will meet and greet. I should have a room, so I won't have to come and go with a gang of other guys who live ont he other side of Indy.

So cut me some slack, eh! *grin*

B

No worries, my friend. Just razzin' ya a little. ;)

Looking forward to meeting ya at GenCon Indy, then,

Flynn

Back