• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T20 Lite Comments and Problems

Originally posted by solar_shipping:
There are a few "page (??)" in the text. Are they refering to T20lite pages or the Core T20 rules?

Darryl
They will refer to T20 Lite in the final version. We can't really 'fix' it until we have the final layout and know the precise page locations of everything.

Hunter

The skills Drive and Pilot, refer to Vehicle Feats; the Feats so referred to are actually under the "Vessel" Feat. This could be confusing to some.

Question:
Is the psionic shield helmet going to give a bonus versus someone trying to detect them? I know psionics is not covered in the T20 Lite rules.

The Table on Page 29 is extremely confusing - break it up and simplify it.

Where are the weights for Field Medical Kit and for a First Aid Kit? What is the "Medical Kit" listed in the equipment list?

The Equipment List and explaination of the equipment needs to be reorganized - I assume that they are all fully explained in the complete rules set.

How much does an AutoDoc cost and weigh and at what tech level can you buy it? I could not find stats for that. I think those are important if its going to be included in the Lite rules.

Small typos that I haven't seen anyone else point out yet

Page 10: Description of "Chief Steward
"low" should be capitalized to be consistent w/ "High" and "Middle"

Page 11: Mustering Out or Retiring
"An additional benefit is gained if the character held rank O4 or O5, and two for O5".

Should this read "An additional benefit is gained if the character held rank O4 and two for O5"?

Page 13: Retrying (2nd paragraph)
"...the player can choose to can Take 20..."

This should read "...the player can choose to Take 20..."

Just doing my part to make sure this ruleset breaks the TypoTraveller stigma. 8)

I have read through the playtest rules and have a question about "Natural Stamina Healing" on page 39. I think the paragraph needs to be rewritten as the second sentence doesn't read properly. The example makes it clear but the sentence should also read properly. Also, I'm wondering if there should be a "per chararcter level" added to the negative modifier calculation as there is for the positive modifier one. If not it would seem that a character with a Con of 9 or less has a greater healing disadvantage the higher his level.

Here's a minor point that I noticed... it is stated that a character with a low SOC would not even know how to properly address a noble. I would argue that most folks that grow up in a society that have such things have at least a rudimentary knowledge of such things. Knowing the difference between "your Excellence", "your Grace" and "your Highness" for example would be a basic part of everyday life.

On the other hand, a person with low SOC would likely not recognize any of the nobles without some form of help. Do the nobles have any particular badges or symbols of office that they would normally wear?

Originally posted by Pagan priest:
Here's a minor point that I noticed... it is stated that a character with a low SOC would not even know how to properly address a noble. I would argue that most folks that grow up in a society that have such things have at least a rudimentary knowledge of such things. Knowing the difference between "your Excellence", "your Grace" and "your Highness" for example would be a basic part of everyday life.

On the other hand, a person with low SOC would likely not recognize any of the nobles without some form of help. Do the nobles have any particular badges or symbols of office that they would normally wear?
I disagree: IMO such niceties as precise form of address are developed precisely because knowing them in exquisite detail is the mark of someone who belongs to that level of society. People of a vastly different social level will have had no exposure, need, or time to learn the intricacies of a social code that largely doesn't apply to them (with the obvious exception of Social Scientists studying social structure for professional reasons).

And that's leaving out the tendencey of those at the top of the heap to re-arrange the rules to suit them: I have seen convincing arguments that in England it was Heny VIII who invented addressing the monarch as "your Majesty", rather that the traditional "your Grace" (which put the monarch as the first amongst the "equals" of the Lords Spiritual and the Lords Temporal). And it is true that it is the Tudors (especially the little boy lost Henry VIII) that mark the English Monarchy's attempt to transform itself into an elevated, absolute monarchy and to brush away the corroded remnants of feudalism that were still cluttering the political landscape. But I digress...

Gallowglass, you've got the advantage on me, seeing as you are from a country with a monarchy! Okay, in real life England, how many factory workers or grocery clercks DON'T know the rudiments of proper address?

Please note that I am not talking the full regalia, high court pomp and circumstance, every last jot and tittle full formal titles and address. I'm only talking about the chance occurance, "Duke touring a factory and asking the workers questions" level.

Well, as a brit I can say that other than Majesty for King/Queen, Highness for Princes and Grace for Dukes I haven't got a clue about the correct forms of address and protocol. Then again, being a soldier I have the great cop-out of everyone in nobility terms being addressed as Sir or Ma'am by the non-coms and junior officers, as a general rule. Most TV newscasts of visits I have seen have most of the normal folks calling them Sir or Ma'am, and only the people who, as Gallowglass said, have reason to know the protocols were using them.

It makes sense for Traveller to have that sort of traditon maybe, that military folks call nobility Sir or Ma'am exclusively until they reach Staff Officer ranks (i.e. Brigadier and above in british army terms). After all, Sir or Ma'am is used to address officers and *ahem* betters, so its still a mark of repsect, especially 'cause most (Traveller) nobility hold military rank anyhow.

Take care,

Shane

Back