• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 status

Yes, M1900 is the presumed era for the core. It's not detailed in the core, but it's mentioned, and the galactic map is for M1900. Also known as the Galaxiad era.

do you know if the new adventure is set Galaxiad or not? (after all the question was related to the intro adventure only... )

Players handbook

For those of you who have been waiting for PHB news and want an update.

Attached to the current kickstarter is this note.

"And By The Way.▮Some of you may ask about the fabled▮Traveller5 Player's Manual. As we worked on this edition, we (that is, I, Marc, the designer) felt that we wanted to work out the bugs and details of the Core Rules before we then abridge them into a▮Player's Manual. It's still coming, and the PDF will go out to everyone who supported the original T5 and/or who supports this T5."

Update - Kickstarter Fully Funded and a Letter from Marc.

CA$ 64,309
pledged of CA$ 20,067 goal
352 backers
35 days to go

Posted by Marc "Traveller" Miller (Creator)
1 Comment

Thank you for your outpouring of support. I am overwhelmed, and I really don't have words to express it. But I'll try: Thank you for your confidence, and for your testimonials about what Traveller means to you. I genuinely appreciate it.

At the same time, I also appreciate your constructive criticisms. When you express your concerns along with suggested fixes, it helps make Traveller better.

Concern #1. International shipping. The books weigh in at 9 pounds, and the people who control packages between nations have dictated that a parcel like that costs about $77 to ship. If the book would fit in a Flat Rate Box, it would cost $65, but it doesn't.

I am doing three things to try to ameliorate this problem. A) I will look at alternatives to the Postal System (keep your fingers crossed). B) I have made inquiries (in the last three hours) to a potential reshipper in the UK, and I will check out other potentials. C) This book set will be available through game distribution almost immediately in the international market. I am committed that if I can reduce international shipping costs, I will. And if you are charged more than it costs me to ship, I will refund the difference.

Concern #2. Some of you have some of the items in our packages: you have the deck plans, or the novel, or whatever. In the end, we will work it out so you get what you want, and don't get what you don't want. Life's too short to be a stickler for rigorous detail. If I can make it happen, you'll get what you want.

Concern #3. Will the adventure be in print? I expect to make the adventure available as a download from DriveThruRPG, and it will have a POD option.

Concern #4. You just want the updated PDFs. Frankly, if you bought the PDFs as a download in the previous Kickstarter, or as a CDROM in the T5 Beta even before that, I am committed to providing the updated files at little or no cost. If you are in my files, I will provide: A Download Coupon by email, or an updated CDROM (if you order some other CDROM from me at FarFuture.net), or a standalone CDROM for $7 to cover shipping and duplication. There are some of you who have been getting updated T5 files from me for years.

Thank you for your support. You have helped make May Day a day of celebration.

Marc

Concern #4. You just want the updated PDFs. Frankly, if you bought the PDFs as a download in the previous Kickstarter, or as a CDROM in the T5 Beta even before that, I am committed to providing the updated files at little or no cost. If you are in my files, I will provide: A Download Coupon by email, or an updated CDROM (if you order some other CDROM from me at FarFuture.net), or a standalone CDROM for $7 to cover shipping and duplication. There are some of you who have been getting updated T5 files from me for years.

Thank you for your support. You have helped make May Day a day of celebration.

Marc
As someone who debarked from T5 after the Beta I appreciate this last: it'll be interesting to see how far 5.1 has come since the Beta days.

Compared to Beta it is practically unrecognizable.

I'm just not the target audience for T5.x anything, but will probably look it over to see what I can mine for my CT/CE game. Unless T5.x ditched the xd6 roll under, way more skills than I care to have, way more involved chargen than I care to undertake, etc. it's more out of curiosity. But I'm glad it's been funded so quickly for those who are its target audience.:)

I am on the fence myself. I'll get the PDFs as I was a backer way back, but I really like physical books. But in all honesty, I'll probably never actually play T5 (I have a hard enough time getting my current group to play Traveller, and if I do, it is Classic as that is what they've played in the past and are familiar with).

Knowing me, and my KSA and TA (Kickstarter Addiction, Traveller Addiction), I'll probably end up doing it although it seems pretty pricey for me.

But if it is actually playable, and has been edited well, then that may help sway me further. The current BBB has a lot of great ideas but is poorly edited (I write software, and we do code reviews as you see what you want to see when looking at your own stuff, not what is actually there. Same applies to writing: you can't effectively edit your own stuff).

It is going gangbusters, though, and that is exciting.

This.

How different is 5.10 I wonder?

I was an original backer and got the PDFs and the first printing of the actual book. Despite many attempts to use T5, many of its systems produced some quite odd results, or simply didn't work - an example being melee combat.

The concept of T5 has always intrigued me, especially the wealth of information in the book, but alas, it was too broken and I went back to my good old CT.

Recently, I got hold of the Traveller 2016 edition (Mongoose? Not sure), those rules look very good indeed, though I have yet to use them in anger.

I guess the point to all this waffle is the big question of 'Is T5 now fixed?'. If it is, and I can get assurances to this, I will put the money down for the kickstarter. What I don't want is three books arriving that are essentially the same as the current T5 book that I already have!

I'm just not the target audience for T5.x anything, but will probably look it over to see what I can mine for my CT/CE game. Unless T5.x ditched the xd6 roll under, way more skills than I care to have, way more involved chargen than I care to undertake, etc. it's more out of curiosity. But I'm glad it's been funded so quickly for those who are its target audience.:)

5.10 is basically out already for most T5 beta players and up. The Kickstarter is just for hardcopies of the new rules. And for new players that never bought T5.

Anyway, T5.10 is a thing already. Not a question of "if it will happen." The game is a roll-under mechanic, using a difficulty number of dice to roll.

I guess the point to all this waffle is the big question of 'Is T5 now fixed?'. If it is, and I can get assurances to this, I will put the money down for the kickstarter. What I don't want is three books arriving that are essentially the same as the current T5 book that I already have!
Yes.

This.

How different is 5.10 I wonder?

I was an original backer and got the PDFs and the first printing of the actual book. Despite many attempts to use T5, many of its systems produced some quite odd results, or simply didn't work - an example being melee combat.

The concept of T5 has always intrigued me, especially the wealth of information in the book, but alas, it was too broken and I went back to my good old CT.

Recently, I got hold of the Traveller 2016 edition (Mongoose? Not sure), those rules look very good indeed, though I have yet to use them in anger.

While I can not guarantee perfection I can say that combat has had another pass at it that fixed many of the issues and that space combat has now been fully implemented. The system is much more of a complete game than 5.0 was. It also has significant fixes and extensions to make things work even better in many areas. It is now index and sorted into logical collections rather than randomly placed throughout the book.
Unfortunately if that is not enough of a assurance, you as an original kickstarter, will be receiving a copy of 5.10 as a pdf file and if Marc has leftover stock and you like the pdf version you can than try to reorder from Marc.

you might find this interesting to read.
http://traveller5.net/kickstarter.pdf

Interesting - it has the full table of contents for the three books :) :) :)

It does. And isn't the plural of appendix appendices, not appendixes? If so, and that is a sign of the editing, I am still concerned.

Well, I did look it up and it can be both ways. At least he moved the tables and table of dice percentage to an appendix rather than one of the first things you read :) Although I think appendixes is supposed to be the plural of the human organ, not the text appendix. So maybe still concerned...

Still on the fence although I'll still probably get in at the captain's level. Just have to see how the finances are at the 48 hour mark (my son is starting college in the fall and that has something of an impact on that!)

Index confirmed for 5.10

so... those of you whom have been wondering about a T5.10 index:

Marc Miller
The new offering has a table of contents and a table of full page charts in the front, and 6-8 pages of index in the back.

It does. And isn't the plural of appendix appendices, not appendixes? If so, and that is a sign of the editing, I am still concerned.

Well, I did look it up and it can be both ways. At least he moved the tables and table of dice percentage to an appendix rather than one of the first things you read :) Although I think appendixes is supposed to be the plural of the human organ, not the text appendix. So maybe still concerned...

The OED agrees with your statement "Usage
Appendix typically has the plural appendixes in the anatomical sense, and appendices when referring to a part of a book or document"

Unfortunately "appendixes" is an Americanism of the venerable English language as almost all US dictionaries do allow for "appendixes" to be equivalent to "appendices" in definition.

Examples of appendix in a Sentence
In your textbooks, turn to Appendix 3: Glossary of Terms.
The book has several appendixes .

5.1 and grammar

I have fairly critical of T5. I am a backer of the original T5 and T5.1, and I think we should all give Marc a pass on the plural of Appendix. I am a bit OCD and even I think that is a bit "nit-picky"....:)

Back