• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Task system

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darium:
Oh boy you guys must be really fun at parties . Let me guess , all of you got A's in algebra right . All kidding aside though , splitting hairs over the %'s is not very productive . Look at the record , the most popular version of the game had the simplest mechanics . I my own opinion T5 should publish with the simplest system , everyone can fiddle with it later . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a roundabout sort of way I agree with you. 'Systemless' CT was simple and worked great; every time a roll was needed the rules tell what you need to roll and what modifies it (skill, situation, etc.): on an average task, usually roll 8+, if you've got an appropriate skill, use it as a +DM; a harder task might need 10+ or 11+, and if it's dark or you're in a hurry or something that's usually a -1 or -2 DM. Everything you need to know is spelled out right there in front of you, on a situation by situation basis.

But all the DGP/MT system really does is systematize and regularize what the rules were already doing ad hoc: an average task is always 7+, a harder one 11+; you know what effect appropriate skills have, and what modifiers various situations give. All this is pre-figured as part of the system, so instead of the GM fumbling around to make up numbers mid-game or search through books for how a similar situation was handled elsewhere, all he has to do is pick a difficulty level, a couple of helpful skills, and decide if there are any special circumstances - the number-crunching and rule-tweaking has already been done.

That's why a task system is a Good Idea - it cuts out the in-game calculations and spot-judgments and frees everybody up to carry on with playing, not worrying about rules.

What's difficult about a task system is that you have to learn the format: "roll 10+, allowing a +1 DM for each point of Recon skill" is a lot easier to understand up-front than "Difficult, Int, Recon (unskilled OK)" even though both give the same information. You're trading extra effort up-front to learn the format and system for saved time and effort later on. It's a great bargain, as the effort saved will surely outweigh the effort spent, but it can definitely be confusing and overwhelming for those just starting out, especially if (as in MT) the explanation of the system is none-too-clear.

That's why I wouldn't be opposed to a 'starter edition' of Traveller (a la the old D&D Basic Set) that didn't include the actual task system and just had numbers already-figured, CT style - another form of the same 'optional modular complexity' I also favor in char-gen, craft design, combat, etc. Let fledgling players (and, even more importantly, GMs) get used to the feel of the rules, with skills and DMs and so forth, and then, when they're ready, reveal the 'logic behind the numbers' of the actual task system. Show them that "roll a 10+, allowing a +1 DM for each point of Recon" wasn't pulled from thin air but was actually the end result of a simple and consistent System, and that by learning approx. 2-3 pages of format and rules, any referee can create appropriate and consistent die-rolling conventions for any situation which may arise during play without having to stop mid-game.

So, we may dwell on nitty-gritty details of balances and percentage-points and so forth here, but it's for a good cause. The more effort made to 'get the system right' before it's released to the buying public, the better results the individual players will end up with without having to stop and think about it in-game. Joe Shmoe GM trying to decide on a die-roll for the PCs to spot that ambush doesn't need to worry about odds and percentages and balances and so forth, because we (i.e. the designers/playtesters/troubleshooters/kibbitzers) already did.

Hey thanks for responding . That does clear things up for me . I do see that a task system is important , and why that is so . T5's system seems to be on the right track and I look forward to it . I will however continue to worship at the altar of simplicity . Watch for me ; I'm third from the right , the one in the robe .

I have just run some T4 for the first time. I'm used to MT. I've checked the posts here and have yet to see any good reason to keep with the T4 task system. It isn't hard to use - though I don't like the fact that attributes play such a huge part in target determination.

IMHO the DGP task system, or a variant on it worked fine, it was easy to use and gives backward compatability with all those lovely CT reprints that are going out now :)

If we are staying with T4 (ish without half die) how different will it be? Will characteristics be as important?

My players weren't too bothered about the half die, but couldn't see the benefits in the 'new' T4 system. It seemed like change for change sake. Is there a copyright reason why T5 can't use a DGP like task system?

I was using T4 because all the BITS stuff is T4 and GURPS and I couldn't face GURPS.

Regards

------------------
Graham
graham@tux.uklinux.net

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham Spearing:
If we are staying with T4 (ish without half die) how different will it be? Will characteristics be as important?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the proposed changes for T5 is the 'It's Harder Than I Thought' rule, designed to restore some balance between stats and skills: on any task in which the # of (whole) dice to be rolled exceeds the character's skill level (+ levels of JoT skill) then difficulty is increased 2 levels: e.g. Joe Scout PC has Int 8, Recon-2, JoT-1. On a Formidable (3D) task he rolls normally, but if he attempts a Staggering (4D) task it will become Impossible (6D), because 4 > 2+1.

Advocates of a T4-like system seem to think this rule is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but to me it's just yet another patched-on ad hoc complication designed to fix a problem which the original (DGP/MT) system didn't have in the first place.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My players weren't too bothered about the half die, but couldn't see the benefits in the 'new' T4 system. It seemed like change for change sake. Is there a copyright reason why T5 can't use a DGP like task system?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only concrete reason I've heard for dropping the MT/DGP system (in 4+ years of complaining publicly about it) is that Marc Miller didn't/doesn't like the fact that characteristic values are divided by 5 (rounding down) to determine task DMs - meaning that characters with stat 5 and 9 (or 10 and 14) have the same DM, and also that theoretically if a character's stat values change mid-game (due to drugs or injury or whatever) the player has to re-figure the DM on the fly (theoretically I say, because the former complaint practically moots the latter - making a quick '-1' mental note when/if a value drops below 5 or 10 solves it pretty quickly). To me this is a ridiculously minor reason for trashing an entire working game-system in favor of something which is (IMO) demonstrably clunkier, less versatile, and generally inferior.

If there were legal issues I'd accept that, but it's never been mentioned, so I assume it's not the case (and although draft versions were published earlier, the final version wasn't published until MT, a GDW product).

As far as I can tell, the primary reason for the change was a sense of game-design 'state of the art' in the mid-90s: that modifying the number of dice rolled is somehow 'better' than adding or subtracting numbers from a fixed die-roll (look at systems like Shadowrun, WEG's Star Wars, LUG's ICON system, and the White Wolf games; then note that, even were this argument true (which I don't think it is), T4 still misses the point by having values added or subtracted from the target number in addition to the shifting dice values - the worst of both worlds, so to speak).

I have given (here and elsewhere) assorted reasons why the T4 system is both poorly designed (requiring numerous fixes and ad hoc special cases to give results equivalent to - and no better than - the DGP/MT system) and a poor fit with the rest of the Traveller (which is based on modified 1D & 2D rolls where higher generally = better), none of which has ever been convincingly refuted.

As far as I can tell, the only reasons the powers-that-be are still sticking with the T4 system are Inertia (it's what's already in the draft material) and Ego (unwillingness to admit they botched it in the first place). I'd love to be convinced otherwise, but no one has done so yet, and I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T. Foster:

As far as I can tell, the only reasons the powers-that-be are still sticking with the T4 system are Inertia (it's what's already in the draft material) and Ego (unwillingness to admit they botched it in the first place). I'd love to be convinced otherwise, but no one has done so yet, and I'm not expecting it anytime soon.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that, I thought I might be alone. I'm sure people will have played with the numbers in many permutations to try to optimise the tasks.

Has divide attribute by 4 been done and increase the tasks up to 4/8/12/16? That gives us 8+ for a routine task :)) - the maths may well not work for that but might give some more variation in the bonuses at different levels.

Whatever the outcome, I too am left perplexed at the decision to stay with a T4esque system. It's a real shame.

Regards

------------------
Graham
graham@tux.uklinux.net

As far as I can tell, the primary reason for the change was a sense of game-design 'state of the art' in the mid-90s: that modifying the number of dice rolled is somehow 'better' than adding or subtracting numbers from a fixed die-roll ...-T Foster

I would like to mention that we are no longer in the 90's and that the current trend in " gaming technology " is different. Recient systems have introduced simple dice mechanics (some with D6's only). They allow for the GM to take a more active role in deciding how the result affects the situation. Perhaps the desition to retain the task system mechanic is for the sake of consistancy. To prevent all the T4 material from becoming obselete.

[This message has been edited by Darium (edited 04 May 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darium:

I would like to mention that we are no longer in the 90's and that the current trend in " gaming technology " is different. Recient systems have introduced simple dice mechanics (some with D6's only). They allow for the GM to take a more active role in deciding how the result affects the situation. Perhaps the desition to retain the task system mechanic is for the sake of consistancy. To prevent all the T4 material from becoming obselete.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly. If backward compatability were an issue however, I think retaining CT/MT task resolution would be a much better idea!

------------------
Graham
graham@tux.uklinux.net

I have always liked the old "add a die roll and hit a target number or higher' task system. The problem was I also like to use D6, an "open ended" dice roll and the distribution should be smooth. It would also be nice if the distribution(approximately) matched a some kind of a distribution curve (gaussian, logarithmic, Chi Square, something).

I think I finally got it.
Roll 2D6.
Sum any 6 as a 5, but roll another D6 and add it, and so forth.
mode 6, Average a hair over 8
Minimum 2, maximum infinity

Increasing difficulty by 3, results in halving the chance of success. A +3 Modifier doubles the chance of success.
I am not sure how to use it, but there it is.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bob (edited 06 May 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Roll 2D6.

Increasing difficulty by 3, results in halving the chance of success. A +3 Modifier doubles the chance of success.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it.

Well, I corrected my model (God, I love Excel) The mode is 6, all right, but the average is exactly 8.

Then as a test, I created a logarithmic scale, where the range doubled every 6 increments, then converted it to an inverse-square scale, to represent the difficulty of hitting a standard target, with a laser.
The correlation coefficient was 0.99271 from 4 to 30 (equivalent to 50-1000 meters.)

I like it too.

Have you ever tried to hit a target with a laser ? What about in combat ? Could you would you in a ship ? Could you would you from the hip ?

co-eh-who-sy?

inverse of what?

Ah, just roll the damn dice!

smile.gif

Gats'

Roll 2D6.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Presumably a Task Difficulty profile would look something like this:
Simple 3+
Routine 6+
Difficult 9+
Formidable 12+
Staggering 15+
Impossible 18+

DMs for the roll would be Skill and/or Stat/5 rounding down (range 0-3); Max. possible DM +9. Thus Johnny Superhero with stat F, skill-6 would get +9 DM (an effective 3 difficulty-level shift), and Joe Average with stat 7, skill-2 would get +3 DM (effective 1 dl shift). Presumably there'd also be an 'auto-fail on snake-eyes' rule, to keep everybody honest.

This looks pretty good to me. I'm not sure its any 'better' than the existing DGP/MT system, but it doesn't seem any worse either. I'd complain a lot less about something like this than the current T4 system.

New assignment: please give an explanation (in as close as possible to layman's terms) why/how such a system is mathematically superior to the DGP/MT system. Not being sarcastic, I'm really curious.

Simple 3+
Routine 6+
Difficult 9+
Formidable 12+
Staggering 15+
Impossible 18+
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
These percentages look ok.
-------------- John +9 . Joe +3 . Dwayne +2
Simple----- 3+ - 97% ---- 97% ---- 97%
Routine---- 6+ - 97% ---- 97% ---- 92%
Difficult---- 9+ - 97% ---- 73% ---- 59%
Formidable 12+ - 97% ---- 36% ---- 28%
Staggering 15+ - 73% ---- 17% ---- 13%
Impossible 18+ - 36% ---- 07% ---- 05%

I was thinking of 4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 myself, but advancing by three is backward compatable w/ MT

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
New assignment: please give an explanation (in as close as possible to layman's terms) why/how such a system is mathematically superior to the DGP/MT system. Not being sarcastic, I'm really curious.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Running the same numbers on a MT 2D6 roll
---------------John +9 . Joe +3 Dwayne +2
Simple ---- 3+ - 97% ---- 97% ---- 97%
Routine --- 6+ - 97% ---- 97% ---- 91%
Difficult---- 9+ - 97% ---- 72% ---- 58%
Formidable 12+ - 97% ---- 28% ---- 16%
Staggering 15+ - 72% ---- 03% ---- XXX
Impossible 18+ - 28% ---- XXX ---- XXX

This kind of a distribution makes it hard to create a task. For Joe a Formidable task is a little more than twice as hard as a Difficult one, Dwayne has similar characteristics, but he finds it well over three times as difficult,

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bob (edited 09 May 2001).]

Warning to Darium: you might want to look away, if you're not already

These percentages look ok.
-------------- John +9 . Joe +3 . Dwayne +2
Routine---- 6+ - 97% ---- 97% ---- 92%
Difficult---- 9+ - 97% ---- 73% ---- 59%
Formidable 12+ - 97% ---- 36% ---- 28%
Staggering 15+ - 73% ---- 17% ---- 13%
Impossible 18+ - 36% ---- 07% ---- 05%
I was thinking of 4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 myself, but advancing by three is backward compatable w/ MT
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, MT progresses by 4's with a Max. +8 DM, for a profile like such:

--------------- John +8 . Joe +3 . Dwayne +2
Routine---- 7+ - 97% ---- 91% ---- 83%
Difficult- 11+ - 97% ---- 41% ---- 27%
Formidable 15+ - 58% ---- 03% ---- XXX
Impossible 19+ - 09% ---- XXX ---- XXX

Obviously this is a lot harsher/steeper than the profile quoted above. To maintain rough compatibility between them a better scheme would probably be:

Simple 4+
Routine 8+
Difficult 12+
Formidable 16+
Impossible 20+

Such a scheme would (if I'm not mistaken) make low-skill characters slightly more likely to fail Simple and Routine tasks than MT; balanced by a better chance (or a chance at all) at the hard ones and a general flattening of the curve, which I'm assuming are the reasons you prefer '2D+' in the first place.

I've got to admit that although this idea seems nicely elegant and mathematically sound (2 big advantages over many proposed Traveller system-fixes - T4 included) I'm not convinced that the superiority to MT/DGP is clear-cut enough to justify yet another wholesale system-change for the rules. At this point it's surely not in the interests of Traveller-as-game-system to divide and factionalize the fan base even further. The only 'new' system I'd support is one so clearly superior to everything that's come before that players of all versions (CT-MT-TNE-T4-GT-homebrew) would unite behind it one and all. Barring such pie-in-the-sky, I think the safest bet is to stick with the best of what we've already got, and IMO (as some may have guessed from my earlier rants/posts
wink.gif
) that's a refinement of the DGP/MT system.

I have got to admit, the MT system is better than any other system, except maybe mine
biggrin.gif

When I introduced my "open dice" I said, "I don't know what to do with it." If we were designing Traveller from scratch, I'd argue for it more strongly. If the only alternative was T4 I'd shout it from the rooftops. But I can live with MT.

The MT task system is simple. The MT task system is intuitive. The MT task system is flexible. The MT task system does not require a multitude of fixes and special cases to work within the framework of the game system.

As far as I've been able to tell, there are only 2, possibly 3, necessary improvements: 1) clearer explanation, with examples. 2) some mechanic allowing highly skilled characters to automatically succeed at easy tasks without risk of Mishap. 3) (perhaps) redistribution of stat DMs from stat/5 to (stat/3)-2. The last is a popular variant for folks who don't like the idea of stat 5 and stat 9 (or stat 10 and stat 14) having the same DM, but I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary (or even necessarily works).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I simply used the MT task system but changed it to 5,9,13... and added the tasking, used att/3 as 5the att mod, and changed the upper limit to +16... Then I went back to MT, but with 4,8,12,16,20, and Att Mods of att/3.

Simple 3+
Routine 6+
Difficult 9+
Formidable 12+
Staggering 15+
Impossible 18+

DMs for the roll would be Skill and/or Stat/5 rounding down (range 0-3); Max. possible DM +9. Thus Johnny Superhero with stat F, skill-6 would get +9 DM (an effective 3 difficulty-level shift), and Joe Average with stat 7, skill-2 would get +3 DM (effective 1 dl shift). Presumably there'd also be an 'auto-fail on snake-eyes' rule, to keep everybody honest.
[snip]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

by having an open ended system (IE, no upper limit, GMS can add "Ridiculous" levels; ones for which skill is a non-issue.
Also, it means no matter how hard, you always have a chance. There is always hope. Plus, by using an open ending, it allows for the oddest things to save a PC's butt... or toast it! More epic, more space-opera.

Also with +3 being a halving of chance, it equates to the TNE task relationships, with a method not unfamiliar to CT/MT players in total.

I, myself, would use Att/3 and upp the diffs by one.
Att/5 Joe 777777 gets +1
Att/3 Joe gets +2
However, freddie failure 222222 gets +0 in either case (making my att/3 tn's +1 variant harder on the wimpy), but freddies brother Al Mosta Failure 333333 gets +0 in att/5, +1 in att/3. Plus the increased importance of higher attributes, and the fact that my games read more like doc smith that RAH, and I didn't up the DM limits any.

I like it. I may try it next game I run. But if I do, I'll up the limits to +10... one point shy of Rid 1 before open ending.
wink.gif

------------------
-aramis
========================================
Smith & Wesson:
The Original Point and Click interface!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aramis:
Then I went back to MT, but with 4,8,12,16,20, and Att Mods of att/3.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I've been playing with exactly the same numbers
4+
8+
12+
16+
20+

and att/3.

Right then that's decided, that is what we will use in T5. Whew, glad that's sorted :)!

------------------
Graham
graham@tux.uklinux.net

OK, time to delurk and give my opinions on a task system.

It should only use six sided dice. This, to me, is one of the defining characteristics of Traveller.

It should use a constant number of dice. (I'm not completely against bucket-of-dice systems, but I'm not convinced such a system is a necessity.) 2D, 3D, or 4D can all be good, but let's stick with 2D. 3D fans can play GURPS. (Just kidding...)

Rolling higher is better.

Difficulty target numbers should not be limited to any specific values. Any integer can be a target number. (Although the MT-ish descriptions can be useful to get people oriented.)

Str, Dex, etc. shouldn't affect task rolls by any set rule, such as "divide by 5". Firstly, no matter how high your attribute is, I don't think it should equate to a level or more of skill. (This is a problem most RPGs suffer from.) Secondly, why should I be able to increase an attribute by 4 points without any appreciable effect on how it is used in the game? These things are fixable, but I don't like any of the fixes I've seen. Instead, I'd rather see attributes be used in other ways. (Like how CT uses Endurance to limit the number of melee blows a character can make.)

I think the base system should be close ended with an optional open ended variant.

No roll should represent automatic success or automatic failure. This always makes a system break down. If I'm not using an open ended system, I'm willing to tell a player his character isn't skilled enough to succeed no matter how hard he tries. I'm also willing to accept that a highly skilled character cannot fail.

------------------
Robert FISHER

Back