• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Tech Level: Rule of Man

DrSkull

SOC-14 1K
I'm starting work on a campaign setting for my next game, and I'm thinking hard about setting it at about 1600 PI, in the Solomani Rim. The premise is that a last claimant to the Rule of Man (who has loose control over the whole sector, but no more) is about to die with no acceptable replacement. The players are tools/participants of a secret plot that will result in the founding of the Easter Concord.

My question is what should be the maximum tech available? I'm thinking Tech 13, but that this tech is only in old, unreplaceable equipment, Some worlds are struggling to maintain Tech 12, but the "plotters" are attempting to create a sustainable Tech 11 in their core areas. Is Tech 13 too high?

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrSkull:
I'm starting work on a campaign setting for my next game, and I'm thinking hard about setting it at about 1600 PI, in the Solomani Rim. The premise is that a last claimant to the Rule of Man (who has loose control over the whole sector, but no more) is about to die with no acceptable replacement. The players are tools/participants of a secret plot that will result in the founding of the Easter Concord.

My question is what should be the maximum tech available? I'm thinking Tech 13, but that this tech is only in old, unreplaceable equipment, Some worlds are struggling to maintain Tech 12, but the "plotters" are attempting to create a sustainable Tech 11 in their core areas. Is Tech 13 too high?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not the most authoritative on this subject but I would say yes. Tech 12 (jump 3) is the highest attained TL of the ROM.

My reasoning is simple. Terra defeats the Ziru Sirka when it obtains Jump 3 technology. Now if Terran tech where to continue to advance then maybe 13 or 14 is posible but I see the T's as being to busy trying to hold together a fragmenting galaxy to continue to advance technologically.

Does that make sense?

Anywho YMMV

david Shayne

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrSkull:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arghhh, the Tech Level of the Rule of Man debate, run screaming!!!!!!! (for those not in "the know", this was the subject of a massive and oft referred to flame war on the TML some years ago).

However, virtually all the canon sources give it as TL 12. However, if you wish (and on the basis of a single somewhat questionable suppliment for T4) you can go higher in a limited way.

Making the assumption that Terra's research programs did not simply grind to halt the moment they took over the Ziru Sirka you can allow *limited* TL 13. Jump drives must stay at J3 (TL12). But you can allow limited prototypes and even occasional production of some TL 13 equipement. However, this should be solely restricted to the heartland of the old Terran Confederation. For the rest you'd be restricted to a solid TL 11 base from the Vilani with some TL 12 grafted on as a result of the Terran conquest (given the problems of the RoM, I really don't think the former Vilani areas ever truely reached even TL 12).

okay, so for The Easter Concoerd Region a high of TL 12 (maybe some research stations TL 13) but a lot of TL 11 sounds good to me. I've always preferred playing TL10 thereabouts anyway. Sounds good, thanks for the input.

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

Back