• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Grognard Problem

Originally posted by Zparkz:
The young ones aren't bright enough to understand that there are some holes in the system and they are eager enough to learn something new (if it is cool enough) to waste countless hours the above mentioned activities.
It's not that people aren't 'bright enough' to see the holes in a system. That isn't the case at all. If anything, people nowadays can see the holes just as easily as people could back in the 70s or 80s. Perhaps even better now because there are more examples of games to draw on to compare the systems to.

It's just that people don't want to have to spend time patching systems to get them to work. They want to dive in straight away with a system that has been playtested and properly designed. Their standards and expectations of the games they buy have risen.

You are probably right, but it seems to me that younger people don't mind that there is incomplete rules or background. They probably are willing to spend more time to fill in the gaps. Probably borrowing from other sources.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
That's an abstraction that has been used in other games. It basically replaces the book-keeping of keeping track of money. You just roll against a difficulty and if you succeed then you can afford it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ;) .
In a Superhero RPG? Great. I'll live with that sort of a system in Champions or V&V or whatever. But in a typical RPG the acquisition of loot is important to the players experience. Finding 500 gold peices in that chest, or making that hellacious deal for a 300% profit and clearing 1,000,000 credits at that Type A port, that stuff excites players. Eliminating that from RPG's... I don't understand it. Not for standard games. And since D20 Modern is a "Core" book several other games are coming out that use that as the core. Ugh.

But, now that I've derailed the T5 topic utterly into a D20 modern rant... sorry guys.

Originally posted by RickA:
In a Superhero RPG? Great. I'll live with that sort of a system in Champions or V&V or whatever.
Not just in superhero RPGs. I know it's in Burning Wheel for example. I think it's more common in the narrativist RPGs that aren't too concerned with nitty-gritty details.

But in a typical RPG the acquisition of loot is important to the players experience.
Erm, no. In used to be the case in the old D&D games when 1 gp = 1 XP (I don't think the new D&D does that though). But since then (and all the time in many other systems) experience is usually gained by solving problems, surviving scenarios, and so on - not remotely by the 'acquisition of loot', that's mostly an 'old-school' D&D thing. The concept of separating loot from xp has been around since well before D20 Modern came out.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean experience = xp, I meant the players experience, as in, it's an important part of the game experience, or whatnot.

Not XP! It's been, well, a long long time since 1st Edition and the old 1xp given for each gold you found as treasure.

Well still, I don't really see how you can say that the players' experience is being limited by having a DC based wealth system.

All it's doing is streamlining how they BUY their stuff, which frankly is done mostly in chargen anyway. It's doing nothing to prevent or limit them from acquiring things later on (e.g. finding things in salvage, or picking up stuff of the bodies of the bad guys or whatever) - that isn't the intent of that mechanic at all. And it's certainly not doing anything to dissuade or prevent the GM from just giving them stuff. All it does is say "well, you may or may not find a laser pistol for an affordable price in the market here. Make a Wealth roll vs DC whatever to see if you can find it". Otherwise chances are that the GM would just assume it's available and let them have it.

Sorry, but I'm not really seeing where any of that could hamper the players' experience.

Mal: you'd better start actually READING befor labasting:

i said that D&D3E isn't AD&D3; mechanically it's too far removed. Mechanically, it's derivative more from Classic D&D; the implication of which you were either too antagonistic or dense to catch.

I'd also said that GT and T20 are really VERSIONS of traveller, but PORTS of traveller, a different thing.

And the GTU is NOT the same as the OTU. but this isn't really the place for that argument, which you have always been either too dense, too closed minded, or too antagonistic to respond to in any meaningful way.

The differences in the nature of character's relationship to the universe established by GURPS rules may not affect you, but it does affect many GURPS players.

Of course, you seem more a casual RPGer and full time agitator, than a serious RPGer with passion about the subject.

And there ARE people waiting upon T5, wanting a T5. Random CG and all. It's just than many of them don't want what MWM seems to be portraying as the T5 he's developing.

parallel in another game system: Pendragon 4th ed, the monster rulebook from hell, is the only edition to have a codified magic system, and rules for non-(Christian-Cymic-Knight) characters in the core. It works well, and such. 5th edition comes outin two months, maybe 3, and all PC's are Cymric Christian Knights. IS this a good thing?well, maybe, The 5th ed lacks the magic system... is this a good thing? 2/3rds of the grogs seem to thing not, but Greg Stafford has said no more magic system.

The problems are not unique to traveller.

Bill: I'll accept my share of the blame for the things liked or not in T20. There's a reason DrSkull, J-man, the rest and I are listed in the credits. We didn't write it, but we sure as hell drove hunter in various ways to create something quite unlike the 1st draft.
all[/a]
T20 is as close as one can get IMO, and not be a traveller "Edition", for numbering purposes. It has the OTU, and is mostly CT+, but it lacks certain bits in feel and tone. I wish we'd pressed harder to delete feats and BAB.

But I'm not the authority. MWM is. and he's been silent lately

D&D has a multi-track development:
Classic D&D
Begat "Old" D&D and AD&D(1) while AD&D1 Begat AD&D2
3E is mechanically mroe OD&D than AD&D2, but it does bear bits of both.

Traveller has 4 editions, 2 ports, and a half-edition (2300).
2300 is a spur off the Traveller tree, as is Space 1889, and Twilight2K 2nd ed, as well as Dark conspiracy. Calling DC traveller is not right, even tho I can use DC characters and equipment directly in TNE, due to being the same rules engine.

All of them are mechanically related, oft interrelated.

But versions for numbering should be related in both setting and rules. 3E, for example, is both the third edition using greyhawk, and a 3rd generation of D&D (And almost of AD&D, but not quite.) 3E is also the 6th edition of the D&D game series, assuming you don't count Boot Hill or Gangbusters.

Just my opinion, of course. But it leads on to my next assertion: for T5 to be a commercial success, GT and T20 NEED to be stopped. Not per se killed, but no product for a year or so so that T5 can grab shares of shelf space.

I can state that the goal was to grab D20 players with T20, not to be the "Ultimate Traveller Incarnation".

It is also clear from MWM's calling it T5 that he doesn't count GT nor T20, 2300, nor any of the other GDW traveller-derived game engines.

Sheeeesh!!! :rolleyes: I get through one page of posts, and there are 2 more pages waiting! Well, I will just toss in my 0.02Cr and bow out.

I like the old ways of doing things (sometimes) - I'm crotchety that way. I love CT - because its what I was weaned on. I like some things about T20, too. I think there are problems carried over from d20. And, I detest levels. Because I'm more experienced in life, I can shoot better?! Bah!
Some of you play the game for its setting, some of you play for the rules, some of you evidently play just to have something to kvetch about (kvetch away!). Unless you are to the point of needing meds (in which case, seek help!), I say keep playing, playtesting, gearheading, rockheading, whatever. Just be civil, so I will be willing to buy you a beer if we ever meet in person. After all, its YTU (Hi, Bill!).

Anyway, I think that I will keep working on the T5 playtest (when something new plods along) because I want to. I haven't invested that much in it, emotionally. If MWM takes my ideas and "improves" T5, great! If he doesn't, it will still have been a fun exercise (IMHO), and I will give myself credit for being involved.

Have fun!
(13+ pages in 10 days! :eek: )

Originally posted by Aramis:

Just my opinion, of course. But it leads on to my next assertion: for T5 to be a commercial success, GT and T20 NEED to be stopped. Not per se killed, but no product for a year or so so that T5 can grab shares of shelf space.
And for those who have invested money in QLI's products that is a dreaded outcome. One would hope to have the commitment of the producer to focus on the product you purchased instead of wandering off to make yet another version.

If T20 had been published by GDW I probably wouldn't have bought it, because I'd have no confidence that they were commited to supporting the product. If QLI is behind T5 and is allocating resources to develop it or to support it when/if it ever comes out, that is taking product directly away from T20 and I hope that does not occur.

Ah well, if it does there are other companies to patronize, other games to play.

Sorry, but I'm not really seeing where any of that could hamper the players' experience.
Then we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I'd say our experiences differ in this regard leading to a difference of opinion. No great tragedy.

[QB]i said that D&D3E isn't AD&D3; mechanically it's too far removed. Mechanically, it's derivative more from Classic D&D; the implication of which you were either too antagonistic or dense to catch.
You're still wrong. I know classic D&D - hell, I started on that - and D&D3e is nothing like it. It's about as dissimilar to it as it is to subsequent versions of it.

What is it that D&D3 has in common with classic D&D, but not AD&D? I sure can't see whatever similarities you see. Classic D&D didn't even separate races from classes.

I'd also said that GT and T20 are really VERSIONS of traveller, but PORTS of traveller, a different thing.
if you're being pedantic, then maybe. In practice though, it's not different. Either way, you are playing a version of Traveller with different rules to CT. But then, MT and TNE and T4 are different rules to CT too. The fact that they may be more closely related to it than GT or T20 is pretty much irrelevant in practice.

All of these are VERSIONS of Traveller. All of these are PORTS of Traveller to different systems too though. GT and T20 are nothing special in that regard, the only difference is that in those cases Marc Miller didn't have a direct hand in designing the system. This doesn't really mean anything special in practice though.

And the GTU is NOT the same as the OTU. but this isn't really the place for that argument, which you have always been either too dense, too closed minded, or too antagonistic to respond to in any meaningful way.
I'm well aware of your arguments, I just don't think they're valid. The only real reason in my mind that the GTU is not the same as the OTU is that the assassination didn't happen. Beyond that, it's an straight, logical extension of the CT timeline. Most of the differences arise from squeezing Traveller into GURPS and are from differences in tech assumptions and so on. But broadly speaking it's the same universe; it's blindingly obvious that it is. There are the same emperors in the history, the same events in the history up to the assassination, the same spaceships, the same races (plus a few new ones, but so what, there are plenty of uncatalogued alien races in Traveller). So a few tiny tech details are different, whooopee. So it has jump masking (which wasn't explicitly specified in CT, but was implied in Marc's Jumpspace article in JTAS). But you are arguing from very shaky ground if you claim that those details make the GTU a wildly different alternate universe to that presented in CT.

The whole point of GT was that it was to present a continuation of the universe that the older fans preferred to play in - i.e. not the one where the assassination, civil war, and collapse and Virus happened. It succeeded in that goal admirably, I think. It's just sad that people insist on getting hung up over the conversion details and miss the big picture.

The differences in the nature of character's relationship to the universe established by GURPS rules may not affect you, but it does affect many GURPS players.
I don't think it does. I've certainly not heard of anyone having that experience either here or on JTAS.

Of course, you seem more a casual RPGer and full time agitator, than a serious RPGer with passion about the subject.
*snort*.
file_21.gif

Did you actually read what my experience in roleplaying is? I'm probably a more serious RPGer and have more passion about it than you do. And do you really think I'd be discussing and arguing about it so much if I didn't give a damn or was just a 'casual RPGer'?

And there ARE people waiting upon T5, wanting a T5. Random CG and all.
Yes, and I'd be surprised if there was more than about 50 of them. That, effectively, is as good as 'nobody'.

There are more people who may want another system to use, but they tend to just crack on and come up with something themselves.

It's just than many of them don't want what MWM seems to be portraying as the T5 he's developing.
Well, he doesn't seem to be listening to their complaints and criticisms and suggestions.

The problems are not unique to traveller.
Nobody said they were.

If that decision were to be made, then damn straight I'd fight that. And a lot of others would too.

Marc would have to be mad to stop development of those. T5 isn't remotely going to be able to grab shelf space. Hell, Marc probably wouldn't even be able to release it in hardcopy form.

I can state that the goal was to grab D20 players with T20, not to be the "Ultimate Traveller Incarnation".
But it's turning out to be that way. One of Marc's stated goals with T5 is to bring Traveller to more new players. If he can think of a better way to do that than to convert it to two of the most popular systems around, then I think a lot of people in the RPG industry would like to talk to him.

Frankly, I think you've got to be stupid, pig-stubborn, or delusional to think that more people would pick up T5 than have picked up T20 or GT. There's no conceivable way that Marc bring the game to more new players than those.

It is also clear from MWM's calling it T5 that he doesn't count GT nor T20, 2300, nor any of the other GDW traveller-derived game engines.
I'd put that more down to sheer stubbornness on his part than any kind of common sense.

Personally, I don't know why Marc doesn't just stop fighting the way things are and start embracing it. He could be churning out stuff for T20 and GT instead of wasting his time on a system that nobody - sorry, 'very few people' - are interested in or that could obstruct the successful versions that are already out there. Why doesn't he do that?

One would hope to have the commitment of the producer to focus on the product you purchased instead of wandering off to make yet another version.
I seem to remember something called "the new era" ....
if it does there are other companies to patronize
is a game something you buy?

Originally posted by flykiller:
[QB]I seem to remember something called "the new era" ...
Yes, that was released what, 6 years after MT was? That's a fairly good run for MT, I fail to see how anyone could argue that TNE was released before it should have been or before MT had a lot of stuff released for it. GDW (and DGP) supported it pretty well.

is a game something you buy?
Why are you so fond of asking meaningless and/or stupid and/or obtuse one-line questions or making similar statements with no explanation? What kind of a question is "is a game something you buy"? Of course it's something you buy. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

All the guy said was that he could just move on to other things if that situation arose.

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
The viscious circle is now complete. Because d20 dominates the market, most people are familiar with d20. And because most people are familair with d20 and because most people do not want to learn other RPG systems even if they are properly designed, most people will buy d20 versions of setting even if the d20 version is inferior to the original.
Which system is better is strictly a matter of opinion, nothing more.

I wonder what will happen to Ars Magica when someone finally gets around to doing a d20 version? Or Call of Cthulu?
Uh . . .

See: d20 Ars Magica, a fan effort.

See: d20 Call of Cthulu, has been out for a while now, and is the eighth item down the list of products for sale.

As well they should. GURPS and d20 are alive while Traveller as Traveller is dead.
The story of why that has happened has been told over and over again.

Sadly, even if there was a well designed RPG system meant specifically for Traveller, people would still buy GURPS and d20 because they are too damn lazy to bother to learn anything else.
If anything else that seemed attractive came along, I'd pick it up.

Windows and Gates have arrived in the RPG market, boys. The rest of us better get used to living off the crumbs.

And some see this all as a good thing...
You are overstating the situation. The RPG market and the Computer Software Market are not so easily comparable. WotC may have the upper hand now, but TSR had it before. The forces that made WotC great disappeared years ago, and it'll become an unresponsive dinosaur after a while (it's been headed there for a while, but like TSR, it will live on for years).

Originally posted by alanb:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
I highly appreciate this revelation that you were not actually reading what I wrote.
I ignored it because it was irrelevant. You were simply changing the subject. The details of that sidetrack are and were of no consequence.

This discussion has become entirely pointless.

I'm going to stop posting now for Hunter's sake.
</font>[/QUOTE]Thank you for your repeat confirmation that you were not reading what I wrote, and therefore you did not know what it was, and therefore that all your comments concerning my comments hold no weight. Yes, that is quite excellent.

I highly appreciate your declaration of non-participation in the discussion before the discussion even began.

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
Blarg? Wasn't aware of that, will have to look through it later on... I always figured that ArM would be really hard to convert to d20 given its assumptions about magic...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
Blarg? Wasn't aware of that, will have to look through it later on... I always figured that ArM would be really hard to convert to d20 given its assumptions about magic... </font>[/QUOTE]That site has actually been there for years, possibly as far back as 2001.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Aramis:
[QB]i said that D&D3E isn't AD&D3; mechanically it's too far removed. Mechanically, it's derivative more from Classic D&D; the implication of which you were either too antagonistic or dense to catch.
You're still wrong. I know classic D&D - hell, I started on that - and D&D3e is nothing like it. It's about as dissimilar to it as it is to subsequent versions of it.

What is it that D&D3 has in common with classic D&D, but not AD&D? I sure can't see whatever similarities you see. Classic D&D didn't even separate races from classes.
</font>[/QUOTE]and again you would prove your stubborn arrogant ignorance. The first D&D edition (1974-1977) in the little brown or white books DID separate race and class. It had not resolution methods other than to hit rolls, saves and spell casting.

The edition of which you speak, commonly referred to as "Old D&D" (OD&D) on the net, is 1978-1994. Not the one of which I spoke. And it's the spur line; AD&D diverges at the same time.

I have core rules for ALL editions of D&D, and have run them all. Classic, or LBB/LWB D&D, is a far less polished beastie.

All of these are VERSIONS of Traveller. All of these are PORTS of Traveller to different systems too though. GT and T20 are nothing special in that regard, the only difference is that in those cases Marc Miller didn't have a direct hand in designing the system. This doesn't really mean anything special in practice though.
Lets compare to software, then...
Is IE5.2 for mac a different version than IE5.2 for Windows? Same feature set, same numbering, but grab the wrong one and it won't work.
(major snip to avoid breaking board rules.)

simplest terms: GT and T20 are licensed, not "In House". IG (T4) wasn't GDW, nor FFE, but it was solely for Marc's traveller, and thus counts.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />It is also clear from MWM's calling it T5 that he doesn't count GT nor T20, 2300, nor any of the other GDW traveller-derived game engines.
I'd put that more down to sheer stubbornness on his part than any kind of common sense.

Personally, I don't know why Marc doesn't just stop fighting the way things are and start embracing it. He could be churning out stuff for T20 and GT instead of wasting his time on a system that nobody - sorry, 'very few people' - are interested in or that construct the successful versions that are already out there. Why doesn't he do that?
</font>[/QUOTE]Same reasons Marc never worked on stuff for MT: "Not my baby" and "Not really traveller". Plus, Lower share of the profit.

If Marc publishes, he gets all the profits, and it's clearly canonical. If Marc writes for T20 or GT, he's then got the issue of what is or is not canonical, for GT HAS drifted (In many cases, by detailing what had never been detailed before, in others by picking one side of a canonista argument) from the OTU; He'd have to kowtow to some degree to the GT direction.

Worse, it would appear as tho he'd admitted "failing" as a game designer.

Moreover, if MWM hadn't been ego-driven, he'd have stuck with the largely mechanically successful TNE engine (I've two complaints about it... the setting and damage), which he was licensed to do. or the ever popular MT engine. Neither was "Marc's Work", in that he didn't write either engine; likewise they are mechanically derivative from CT. So is T4; for character scale, it's derivative from CT, in the same major leap way as D&D 3 and little brown book D&D, with some ideas grafed in but a wholly different set of mechanics from an original poorly defined set of mechanics.

T4 was a leap for most of us; those using TNE had the largest leap, MT a slightly lesser one.

Crossing over to GT or T20 is, mechanically, a huge leap. Totally different set of parameters to understand a character's capabilities. Very different base assumptions in the game engine; assumptions which GT has (in the groups I've observed playing it) resulted in a very different approach than those same players had in my MT games.

The nature of damage will affect play.

The setting changes notwithstanding, it's still very different that CT/MT/T4 (3 stats affect damage taking, so Mr Strong is tougher than Mr Weak, and Mr Nimble may be tougher, too); TNE (Two Stats affect: Str & End), vs GURPS: One stat handles damage (ST or HT, depending upon options and edition). Likewise, T20's Lifeblood/Stamina is a VERY different mechanic, and again is 1 attribute, and class affects it.

Which will the gaming populace prefer? Don't know, but I saw a bunch of GT stuff on markdown monday... which means its not moving fast enough for Peter. Funny, the T20 and "Real Traveller" stuff is still not on markdown.

I know that some of the biggest traveller fans I know wont' try T20, simply because it is D20 derived. I won't play GT. Too many little things defined.

And defining things previously left undefined IS a change. Just ask Websters.

and again you would prove your stubborn arrogant ignorance.
Actually, it proves that what you've labelled "Classic D&D" is different to what I've labelled as that.

Either way, you are still wrong. Mechanically D&D3e is very dissimilar to it. Does "classic D&D" have feats? The same rolls for everything? Streamlined saving throws (Fortitude, Will, Reflex) instead of Death ray, Dragon Breath, wandes/staves/spells etc?

It had not resolution methods other than to hit rolls, saves and spell casting.
So? Many RPGs have that. Are you going to argue that they're all mechanically similar to D&D?

Ryan Dancey (the guy who was behind the d20/OGL concept) tried arguing that in a recent review he did on gamingreport.com when reviewing WFRP v2. He said it was obviously a derivative of D&D3 when that wasn't even remotely true. He's been ridiculed greatly on rpgnet and on enworld for suggesting that, and has been shown to be wrong, and has in fact had to retract and alter part of his review to keep the hordes at bay.

Is IE5.2 for mac a different version than IE5.2 for Windows? Same feature set, same numbering, but grab the wrong one and it won't work.
It's the same thing, but translated to a different system.

I don't really care whether you want to call that a 'version', 'port', 'conversion', 'translation' or whatever - the fact is that it is the same thing (or as close as possible to it). The intent of the programmers was to create something that was as similar to IE5.2 for windows as possible.

simplest terms: GT and T20 are licensed, not "In House". IG (T4) wasn't GDW, nor FFE, but it was solely for Marc's traveller, and thus counts.
Er, no, sorry but you don't get to change your own rules as it suits you. T4 is just as different as GT and T20 are.

Same reasons Marc never worked on stuff for MT: "Not my baby" and "Not really traveller". Plus, Lower share of the profit.
Ego, in other words.

He'd have to kowtow to some degree to the GT direction.
Perhaps if he swallowed his pride and admitted that a lot of people LIKE GT and the direction it's gone in, he could get over this and contribute something useful.

Worse, it would appear as tho he'd admitted "failing" as a game designer.
I'm not convinced he's ever suceeded as a game designer. The travesty he posted on the T5 playest sure didn't inspire any confidence. Hell I could (and have) design a game better than that - so could most of the people who were playtesting it.

Thing is, whether or not Marc writes the system is only important if you're a member of his cult of personality (or cult of canon. There's some overlap), who hangs on every word he says. The rest of us just want to play a decent version of Traveller, we don't give a toss who writes it, and we don't care what mechanics it uses, and we don't care whether it's 'valid' or not.

As has already been pointed out several times, nobody ever follows canon anyway once they get hold of it for their own games. They make it their own thing. So fixating on how Marc thinks it should all work is somewhat pointless, no?

Which will the gaming populace prefer? Don't know, but I saw a bunch of GT stuff on markdown monday... which means its not moving fast enough for Peter. Funny, the T20 and "Real Traveller" stuff is still not on markdown.
That means nothing at all. Popularity of systems vary by geography, for one thing.

I know that some of the biggest traveller fans I know wont' try T20, simply because it is D20 derived. I won't play GT. Too many little things defined.
So play something you're happy with. Nobody's forcing you to play a particular system. Even if all that was available was T20, you could still play your own system for years. Nobody would stop you.

And defining things previously left undefined IS a change. Just ask Websters.
Maybe. But it's a clarification, an expansion. If you want as little information as possible then go right ahead and run your games that way.

Some of us, however, would like to have a bit more flesh on the bones. It adds verisimilitude, if nothing else.

The point really is that whether Marc does another system or not is only important for people who care about that. For the rest of us who see the big picture of Traveller and aren't concerned with the irrelevant details of how and why the systems are different or the pedigree of the systems used, and are more concerned with just playing in the universe presented to us, it's just not an issue. And I suspect that 'the rest of us' in practice outnumber the 'Cultists of Marc' by a very large margin.

and again you would prove your stubborn arrogant ignorance. The first D&D edition (1974-1977) in the little brown or white books DID separate race and class. It had not resolution methods other than to hit rolls, saves and spell casting.

The edition of which you speak, commonly referred to as "Old D&D" (OD&D) on the net, is 1978-1994. Not the one of which I spoke. And it's the spur line; AD&D diverges at the same time.

I have core rules for ALL editions of D&D, and have run them all. Classic, or LBB/LWB D&D, is a far less polished beastie.
Your definitions differ from what I've seen online. IMO 3E differs enough from any version of Classic D&D that you'd likely call it “not valid” to any of them. It both shares commonalities to previous versions while adapting bits from later on. I’d love to see 4E go more in line with OTE, it’s close as is.

OD&D in common internet usage* stands for Original D&D (just as OAD&D is sometimes used to refer to AD&D1E), which in its strictest sense means (Chainmail and) the original 3 books (+ supplements). Some count Holmes Basic D&D in there as well since it’s essentially an edit covering only levels 1-3 but with races as classes. It was meant to be a bridge to AD&D but around that time Basic D&D (or just D&D) and Advanced D&D diverge as both rules and lines.

Classic D&D refers to OD&D, the Holmes edit, the Moldvay edit Basic/Expert sets, and the Mentzer edit BECMI sets up to the Rules Cyclopedia. Cook’s in there somewhere, I think as a co-editor with Moldvay on at least one set. I don’t currently have a copy of Moldvay B/E. FWIW I started out with Holmes.

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/Rulebooks.html

OD&D does separate race and class but the other versions of classic D&D do not, though IIRC there an option of sorts in the Rules Cyclopedia. In the various supplements to OD&D a lot of mechanics later used in AD&D (often modified) were introduced, such as thieves (and their skills) and the weapon vs. armor charts. OD&D has two different XP methods and at least two different ways to do combat, the default Chainmail combat system with the d20 roll being an alternate system

To sum up OAD&D is a more organized form of OD&D with bits hacked off and a lot more High Gygaxian :cool: . So if D&D3E != AD&D3E to you then it certainly doesn't == OD&D IMO. Considering the opinions of grognards both older than and who started playing earlier then me that I've seen, I think that's valid (and what I’ve seen) from a certain POV. It's funny I've seen D&D3E put forth as being a variant on Runequest, Gurps, Rolemaster, a subset of [A][O]D&D, etc. as well.
However is it still D&D? <shrugs> It is to the people who run and play it. And that's *all* that really matters in the end. It may not be considered such by others, which is cool too. We’re not writing a history book of RPGs on CotI here, though I guess if you collated some of the posts here you might have a good start! ;)

My point is calling someone’s version, conversion, homebrew, etc. “Not Traveller” repeatedly only serves to help drive that person to another game. Am I going to berate someone for “Not Really Playing Call of Cthulhu” if they’re using Gurps Cthulhupunk, Unknown Horrors, CoCd20, nWoD, or Risus? No, I'm glad they're having a good ole scare from Old Man HPL. For that matter while I (heart) BRP CoC I’ll be the first to say that while it’s a great game it doesn’t model its source material 100% by any means. The atmosphere is what counts, not even the trappings like Deep Ones or even Cthulhu itself, who’s increasingly turning into a plush suitable for girls' tea parties :eek: , should only serve to further that. I view Traveller similarly.

To put this in a Traveller perspective, I doubt many grogs will see *any* version of CT+ or T5 (esp.) as “Traveller” enough for them. For them the old versions are plenty enough, which is fine. If someone’s been playing CT for 20+ years I’m assuming they’ve housreuled it all they need.
Similarly T5 may not be enough of an improvement for already existing Traveller players (all versions) to purchase. It’s another Catch 22 of rpg companies, a well done rpg core book means no real need to buy anything more from a company for that line. In some ways I think I’d be looking forward to T5 if MWM had designed other RPGs post GDW besides Traveller. Even Gygax has, though he kinda has to. >.< Gygax’s current system is skill based. If MWM had it’d have shown some experimentation and flexibility which are good things for a new version of a game IMO. As is T5 looks to be too different and yet too much the same to succeed. I hope I’m proved wrong.

* by this I mean at places like Dragonsfoot and the Knights & Knaves Alehouse forums; for example K&K has "Original Dungeons & Dragons - the little books"

some further links:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/20/
http://www.mbertenshaw.plus.com/Mark/RPG/dnd.html
this last one I don’t quite agree with but it is useful

(edit: added some markup and more smilies to help with what's turned into more digital navel fiddling
)

post soundtrack: Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

Back