• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TL=8 Batteries

You can either mine the ground (to put those atoms into the atmosphere, by combusting them for energy) ... or ... you can mine the sky (harvesting sunlight and wind for energy).
Choose wisely. :unsure:

45CCcHT.gif
Choose logically. Solar at ground level isn't a viable base load source. For that you have to go into medium orbit

Choose logically. Solar at ground level isn't a viable base load source. For that you have to go into medium orbit

Thanks to the late Dr. Jordin Kare (a late acquaintance of mine), you can loft sat that capture solar power and microwave it down dirtside, to receiver stations which then distribute the power. He proved the solar collection, transmission and use of electricity where at-range transmission was done by Microwave while working for DARPA.

Microwaving electric power was key to his Program Sail Beam, which I am currently pitching to SpaceX

Of course, when the signaling "looses tracking" there is that lyric from one song that goes:
"oh, the cattle are standing like statues. The cattle are standing like statues. They smell of roast beef every time I drive by...
And the falcons and eagles are dropping like flies..."

Thanks to the late Dr. Jordin Kare (a late acquaintance of mine), you can loft sat that capture solar power and microwave it down dirtside, to receiver stations which then distribute the power.
Absolutely. Right now it is the cost to orbit that prevents. But once that drops dramatically away we go with that system in space

Have you HEARD about what is happening in South Australia (and California) lately? :rolleyes:

{ waits patiently for realization to dawn }
So? That's has nothing to do with physics and reality. That is a manipulated market. Not a free market. :rolleyes: Both places BAN nuc power. Have you HEARD?

Well in my case the cost to connect to the grid and then pay $0.225 per kW was more than the cost to install a 14,400kW solar with sun tracking and 76.4kW/h batteries. I just hit 8MW/h utilized in just a week less than 22 months of operation. I am setting up an EV charging station that will use even more of my available power. Right now my batteries limit my energy intake to about 10kW, changing from 4 batteries to 6 will let me bank my full 14.4kW. Perhaps that will eliminate completly my current need to use 1 to 2 15lb propane tanks over the winter to keep the batteries above freezing when we get a week of overcast.

Well in my case the cost to connect to the grid and then pay $0.225 per kW was more than the cost to install a 14,400kW
Certainly. If one is off the grid and not in civilization solar can be the way to go. So can wind, hydro, cola, wood, etc.

So? That's has nothing to do with physics and reality. That is a manipulated market. Not a free market. :rolleyes: Both places BAN nuc power. Have you HEARD?
Where it "works" is also a manipulated market, with governmental subsidies and tax breaks, and assumption of the costs of catastrophic risk and waste disposal.

Renewables have better ROI and start generating revenue (and of course, power) sooner.

Edit: perhaps the subsidies are justified, and it's better in the long run. But that's a policy decision, not an economic one.

UPDATE: My initial decision was overturned on appeal by consensus to delete.

Rule 1) No personal attacks.
You may attack ideas, subjects, or documentation. However you will not get personal at all.

Let’s focus more on the IDEAS and less on the other PERSON, thanks.

Last edited:
No WARNINGS or INFRACTIONS, just some editing and a friendly reminder of …
I'm going to point out that we've been getting several of these "not warnings" recently (in assorted topics). For whatever reason, the discord seems to be getting more edgy.

Headline:
The Australian Energy Market Operator says that by 2040, households will consume less electricity than they actually produce.
Tony Seba predicted this ... and it's happening.

Annually, I am a net producer. I can't say that each and every day, but annually, most definitely.

My panels can fuel my two air conditioners during the day in the heat of the summer, and the batteries seem to still get filled, and keep them running overnight. And those are my largest consumers.

We also have, apparently, net capacity in California, as I keep getting pinged by Tesla to enroll my batteries to power the grid (and get paid for it). I'm still a bit too selfish to do that. I like having surplus stand by in my batteries.

If I were to get an EV, I'd add more panels. If I had some minor windfall, I'd consider adding a 3rd battery to my current setup.

I keep getting pinged by Tesla to enroll my batteries to power the grid (and get paid for it).
People in California and Texas have been getting net negative electric bills on an annualized basis by joining Tesla's VPP (Virtual Power Plant) program. That's because when power needs to be exported to the grid to cover shortfalls in supply to meet demand, the price of electricity is high (see: peaker plant economics) due to the very simple economics of supply and demand.

In other words, grid operators are PAYING members of the Tesla VPPs for the "privilege" of being able to demand power from batteries when necessary in order to cover shortfalls in supply. This is earning homeowners income that is greater than the cost of their electric bills.

So I would recommend that you go ahead and join the VPP.
You'll still have a surplus stand by in your batteries.
The difference is that less of the electricity your home generates will be wasted and will instead wind up getting put to good use (which you'll get paid for).
Win - win - win. :cool:(y)

Do you happen to have a similar set of charts, one showing volume by source and another showing what sources were taken offline?
No, not easy to hand.
The New US Electricity-Generating Capacity Additions showed up in this morning's Best In Telsa news show done by Lars on youtube, so I snagged a screenshot (with the source URL included in it). Anyone who wants to watch the entire episode the chart I screen captured came from, here it is.

I think it would be fun to see the story the three would tell. :)
My understanding is that grid operators are realizing that solar and batteries are the CHEAPEST solution to their grid stability problems (load balancing supply and demand), so there's a transition underway in the industry. Consequently, coal and nuclear options are "dying" because they are economically not competitive with the alternative of renewables and energy storage (batteries, pumped hydro, etc.).

Australia is moving in this direction.
California is moving in this direction.
China is moving in this direction.
Chile is moving in this direction.
Germany is moving in this direction.

What has "unlocked" this opportunity isn't just merely the batteries themselves, but the software that Tesla uses to manage their megapacks.

I'll let Lars at Best In Tesla explain how this piece of the puzzle makes everything fit together for the grid operators (video posted 9 days ago on his channel from when I'm posting this reply here to CotI).
Reminder, Lars lives in Denmark and for him English is a second language.

Back