• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Novels and Fiction

I have written a short story using a CT background. Anybody want to give me some honest feedback? Marc has given me permission to distribute it privately. Please e-mail me (samdx@hotmail.com) and I will forward it to you.

It is actually the beginning of a novel that I have plotted out, but I would like to get some opinions on whether the story would be worth finishing.

Hey, I like the ideas posted for the novels. I would most assuredly buy them. As would I buy the Swycaffer books, which I haven´t been able to find so far. Any clues where I could find them on- or offline at reasonable prices?

Another series I have always liked and found to be very Traveller-like in it´s outset is E.C.Tubbs Earl Dumarest series. It also has tramp freighters, cold berths and generally the "Traveller spirit", even though it is set in an own universe.

------------------
---
VAG

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VAG:
Another series I have always liked and found to be very Traveller-like in it´s outset is E.C.Tubbs Earl Dumarest series. It also has tramp freighters, cold berths and generally the "Traveller spirit", even though it is set in an own universe.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Dumarest books also use the word 'traveler' to refer to the class of folks who move from system to system...

Since we've expanded to pre-Traveller SF, I'll also throw in a plug for Poul Anderson's 'future history' series, including the Polesoltechnic League and Dominic Flandry sub-series. Between these and the Dumarest books, as well as some more well-known bits from Asimov and Heinlein, you've got a pretty good notion of Traveller's direct SF inspiration.

I´m probably beating a dead dog, since the first posts in this thread were made about five months ago, but here goes anyway:

A lot of the aforementioned novel proposals seem quite interesting to me. First out, I´d like to see the third TNE Novel published because it took me about half a year of intensive book- and fantastic-shop-browsing before somebody finally had mercy on me and told me it wasn´t published
wink.gif
I´m one of the few leftover TNE fans (stop looking at me like that
wink.gif
) and I think that the New Era has a lot of potential. It would require more work on the background story since the historical developement in the published game material ends with the Star Vikings. There´d be a lot less material to work with than, say, for the Milieu 0 period. But then again, that leaves lots of room for the author to build his own story, doesn´t it? Suggestions as to possible themes:
- Development of the Reformation Coalition after 1210: that´s the obvious one. Don´t confine it to smash-and-grab missions; conflict with the Solee Empire or the Guild would be a possibility, a bit later on in the timeline conflict with the Domain of Deneb or alien realms (K´kree for example) would be another. Ultimately, one could even imagine the beginning of a 4th Empire (that would probably make for a 5-10 book series; probably a bit excessive
smile.gif
).
- Developement of the Domain of Deneb: that´s the second most obvious one; great potential with all those alien realms around the domain and also with a possibility of later contact with the Reformation Coalition.
- Virus: there was a very interesting development in the Virus sourcebook, where an AI went "sane" and started cooperating with the RCES. You could build on that and introduce full-fledged virus characters working for the Coalition and/or building their own pocket empires.
- Speaking of which: Pocket Empires: I remember seeing brilliant, well thought-out pocket empires being presented in the BARD-pages and on TNE-related websites.

Concerning Megatraveller: IRIS could be a good subject for mixed sci-fi/spy novels. I remember running a campaign along these lines once and it worked quite well. I´m elaborating on it now in a TNE-setting (not only did IRIS make it into the New Era IMTU, but they actually built a pocket empire and they´re going to link up the Reformation Coalition with Deneb, ultimately building the 4th Imperium; but that´s just a vague and wild idea at the moment
biggrin.gif
).

Just my two pennies´ worth

Yours
Virus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Avery:
I have at least one novelist (who I also think is good) pressuring me to do Traveller fiction. What stories would you like to see as Traveller fiction?

Two of my own thoughts (off the top of my head)?

Grandfather's story

The story of the Interstellar Wars
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Intentionally _not_ reading the rest of this fairly long thread, I'll bite.

I'd like a book that tells the story of the Free Trader Beowulf or the story of the March Harrier and her sturdy crew of Humans and Vargr.

One thing I've learned from buying various G:T materials is that the background to the seemingly trivial matters (ie in G:T the Beowulf is a TV show... !) is sometimes much more interesting than the official story,

Leave the historical stuff for source books unless (and I doubt you are, Marc) you are willing to let the author seriously play with "cannon".Think of it like this - how much of what is in our history books bears even a passing resemblance to how they saw themselves at the time? I doubt that how we see the history of Humaniti as it is presented in 1100 bears much resemblance to how the principles saw themselves.

My .02 cr.

William

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Avery:
Fast Forward. A Terran ship crew chooses cold sleep rather than lingering death after a disastrous battle, emerging from time to time in search of a cure, and encountering key points in history.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ISTR an adventure that was advertised but never published... bingo, "Flashback" GDW stock number 0217 according to the ad on the last page of COACC.

May I ask whatever happend to that story? I find it compelling as well and would have bought it then without pause.

Then again, I am an MT fan...
tongue.gif

William

Good novelist. Okay novelist. Just make sure you can get it on the shelves. The local games stores are dissolving left and right against online sales. Almost none of the Traveller novels were ever in the bookstore. Because I thought they should be there I special ordered them at the bookstore.

as an aside: When T^5 and T^20 are ready I would sell my soul to get them on the bookstore racks. an aside to the aside: The situation in the Midwest may be much different then the coast where I spent all of my life since discovering Traveller in 1978.

------------------
mark ayers n2s@qwest.net , philosopher serf, editor of n2s; the journal for an empty mind

[This message has been edited by n2s (edited 24 June 2001).]

I know I would love to see some Traveller fiction published.

I say start by publishind an anthology of short stories. This will give The Powers That Be an opertunity to review the work of several authors before ok'ing one to tackle a major storyline. It will also allow coverage of many differant times and places in the Traveller universe.

and I wnt to gove another vote for Barracks Emperors. The story of the Regent Arbellatra and the end of the Civil War. I think that has the potential for a great story.

I'd like to write, and possibly publish some Traveller fiction. Is there a formal process on how this is done?

Hmm, looking back over this topic I see I haven't posted to it before.

In general I tend to avoid game-based fiction, because my reading-time is at a premium and my bookshelf is already full, and most gbf just plain isn't well-written enough to make it worth my while.

However, I might make an exception for a well-done line of Traveller fiction (though admittedly I haven't done so for any of the TNE/T4 novels to date).

First off I'd like to see an anthology of short-fiction covering a variety of eras and situations, arranged in chronological order. As someone else noted, this would also be a good way to test potential authors and storylines.

After that, I'd like to see Historical topics covered rather than normal game-like activities (free traders, adventurers, etc.). In truth, I think a line of fiction/novels would be a much more appropriate way to explore many of the earlier milieux than game-settings would. In particular, I'd love to see novels/series covering the Interstellar Wars, Rise of Cleon Zhunastu, Barracks Emperors/ Arbellatra (though you'd have to be careful here not to fall into the trap of creating an Honor Harrington pastiche), Norris - from second-son to Archduke to First Regent, and, last but not least, a first-person autobiography by old Yaskoydray himself.

Side note: 'The Warrant' -- while this would make a great story for a novel, I also think it would make a helluvan epic tournament-style adventure: the PCs as Norris' top-level assistants/operatives, doing all the dirty work under cover of secrecy, with war raging and the Fate of the Imperium hanging in the balance. If done right, I suspect something like this could turn a lot of newbies onto Traveller.

Lastly, no one has yet mentioned the obvious choice of author to write Trav-fiction -- William H. Keith. With all the work-for-hire writing he's done over the years I can't imagine he'd be "above" doing Trav-fiction (though his asking price might well be), and he'd surely be comfortable with the settings (many of which, after all, he had a hand in designing). I know I'd buy a K'kree-oriented Trav-novel by Bill Keith without a moment's hesitation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T. Foster:
Lastly, no one has yet mentioned the obvious choice of author to write Trav-fiction -- William H. Keith. With all the work-for-hire writing he's done over the years I can't imagine he'd be "above" doing Trav-fiction (though his asking price might well be), and he'd surely be comfortable with the settings (many of which, after all, he had a hand in designing). I know I'd buy a K'kree-oriented Trav-novel by Bill Keith without a moment's hesitation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The novel of the plot laid out in Lords of Thunder could be a very good read, indeed...

Aside from the novels, there are a few bits of short fiction that have appeared over the years, including the one from (I think) Traveller's Digest that started with the transfer of a cold-berthed K'Kree to the character's ship...
We also have little color pieces like the intro to the original article on the Gazelle, back in JTAS #3(?)

West End did a couple books of short fiction for Shatterzone, as well as a cross-over volume between Torg and Paranoia (brr). Star Wars gaming spawned a great deal of short fiction as well, and still is. There is no reason Travelle can't explore the same path to respectable fiction...

Speaking of "The Warrant" I am reminded that a perfectly valid story-telling mechanic is that of the "exchanged letters" or "sequential news coverage" as used many times in the pages of Analog SF over the years. As such, the greatest piece of Traveller Fiction we have so far is the volume called "Survival Margin."

As an avid reader of science fiction and player of Traveller, I actually like stories that deal with more 'realistic' situation. Science FICTION, not Science Fantasy.

I prefer well developed characters and a good plotline. Not magic-level technology or deus ex machina. One or two magic-tech/suspension of disbelief items are required for a sci-fi story (FTL and so forth) but not so many things that it renders challenges to the characters insignificant.

While the climatic events (Ancient wars, Virus proliferation) may be of short-term interest, I quite honest would rather read a series about a lone scout on survey, an Xboat pilot or maybe the life of a multi-careered character (starts as marine, becomes a noble, then is forced by disgrace or conspiracy to become a rogue).

If a story takes place during major events (5th frontier war, etc.) let that be the backdrop and not the main focus.

Heh, here is a real simple story idea: 6 books, each based upon the 6 original basic careers.

A Traveller Novel: Navy
A Traveller Novel: Marine
A Traveller Novel: Army
A Traveller Novel: Scout
A Traveller Novel: Merchant
A Traveller Novel: Other

Cheers.

Mike

I always though a story about a general group of adventurers would be cool. Just the average Joe Traveller and his buds, maybe in a old beat up Scout. With a stowaway. And a Vargr. But I've also thought that there should be a Traveller comic book, too.

Scout

Someone else probably mentioned this, but Scout made me think of it (it was the Vargr comment).

I would *love* to see a novelization of The Traveller Adventure. I just think the (intended) story of the crew of the March Harrier would make a great novel.

I have just posted two new pieces of Traveller fiction written by Martin Dougherty, be sure to check them out!

The Official T20 Website

Look for the Traveller Fiction section on the left side of the page.

Hunter

Martin Dougherty's work is simply brillant. It would be nice if he could crank out an entire novel that would intertwine several different plots played out over a series of novels.

There is another novel, set in the Far Frontiers, produced by Cargonaught Press entitled, Force of Destiny which promises to be good.

Ideas worth persuing in terms of a short story or series of short stories:

Secret of the Ancients saga

The mystery surrounding the "assassin" of Dulinor or perhaps, Dulinor lives but in poverty on some forsaken prison planet.

A grunt's life in FFW, a navy pilot and a rogue merchant who starts off as an Arms trader before becoming disenchanted with all thing.

A inflitration/corporate espinoge setting before the launching of a major trade war.

A novel set in the Hard Times, outside the Dispora sector.

A novel that dealt more with flight plan of the Arrival Vengence. From the shadowy agency that recruited the players, its theft and meeting of faction leaders. Filling in the hundreds of worlds, it visited as it went to the faction leaders in Hard Times. To its triumpant return.
~As it seems to be the most popular Traveller adventure written to date.

[This message has been edited by kafka47 (edited 05 September 2001).]

I have one TRaveller novel written (Out of the Ashes) and an episodic Short story collection too. Both are with publishers. We'll see how that turns out.

There is more than that in the wind, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MJD:
I have one TRaveller novel written (Out of the Ashes) and an episodic Short story collection too. Both are with publishers. We'll see how that turns out.

There is more than that in the wind, too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FANTASTIC!!! More please will make one gamer really happy. Hope you will be weaving the narrative in T20.

Back