• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Rules As Written

The key is to understand that everything in the LBB 1-3 is there for player character interaction, there is little wargame element in LBB 1-3, more was added as GDW tied the setting down and introduced more rule books.

Many of the wargames could be adapted to Traveller, but they would take over the evening. Role playing would be in the background while the wargame/boardgame becomes center stage.

Mayday, Snapshot, AHL, Striker - all boardgame/wargames that you can have your characters involved in.

Personally, what Traveller needs to do is decide if it's a wargame or an RPG

As others have said. most RPgs include parts of both.

IMHO, Traveller is an environ, full of RPGs (yes, in plural, as some versions are different enough) and wargames, be for miniatures or board, and in several scales (from tactical, to s trategic(operational)..

One problem with RAW is when rules don't work or are outright contradictory.

I will give again the example of MT starship combat rules (all of them discussed in other threads, so I would only cite here):
  1. movement does not work, when you may spend some of your speed (remember, a vector that you must change with acceleration) in the same square (MT:RM, page 92) by cilcing on it
  2. Skill use (mostly Gunnery and Ship Tactics) are too easy to abuse with RAW
I fyo utry to go with RAW, the system may go from broken to unpalayable.

And always remember: the fun police will not prosecute you for adapting/changing rules, though this may make discussions difficult, as everyone would have adapted/changed on his/her own way.

And always remember: the fun police will not prosecute you for adapting/changing rules, though this may make discussions difficult, as everyone would have adapted/changed on his/her own way.
It's the divergence that's the hazard ... especially when dealing with "my way or the highway" personality types who will not budge for anything.

It's the divergence that's the hazard ...

I disagree...

it's the mentality "I have the correct answer" and not hearing others that is the hazard.

Of course, any change I made to MT combat rules to allow it to be played was "the correct one" for me (or at least, the "most correct to be able to play"). Others have suggested other "correct ones" changes, and I read them, thought about them, and in some cases reached the conclusion their adaptation were not "correct" form me and my game style (and my gaming group, of course), while others i found my own adaptation was just the "maybe not so correct", and either changed it, adapted to the visions presented or commented with other people to reach a "better" one.

But both, "correct", "not so correct" or "better" is for me and my gaming stylo, not absolute, and my perfectly become "incorrect" or "worst" to yours, and that does not make anyone of us better nor wiser, just different. And that's the greatness of RPGs (in general, and Traveller in particular), even people quite different may enjoy them by adapting them to their own gaming styles,

There's only one "Rule 0": we play for fun

Last edited:
movement does not work, when you may spend some of your speed (remember, a vector that you must change with acceleration) in the same square (MT:RM, page 92) by cilcing on it
It is a strange movement system, to be sure, where, apparently, you can build up "speed" while not "moving" and then "rush off".

The nature of vector combat is ships flying past each other, or slowing to engage and being stuck close together as they accelerate out.

But MT you can build up all the speed you want, move in close, blast away for a turn or three, then, zzzing! you're far away again. Don't seem to be any facing rules or anything, so if you've built up a speed of, say, 20, you can go anywhere in a 20 hex radius on any turn.

"Before we engage in combat, my fleet is going to accrue 100 movement points."

Strange indeed. May as well just play the game "I place my ship where I want, you place your ship where you want, we alternate doing that, then fire. Next turn flip a coin as to who goes first, and do it again."

I dunno, maybe it works. It reminds me off Master of Orion 2, where you could get a teleporter like drive system that places your ship almost where ever you want.

If we're going to discuss this, I suggest a "spin-off" thread in MT forum. As I said, those are only examples of resons not to follow RAW (the reason of this thread), not to be discussed here.

Sigh, now we are going to have to have an argument about what wording of rule zero is canon….
I won't participate in this argument, as this is a mater of beliefs, but just asking one question:

Do you play to keep canon or to have fun?

Personally, I see canon as a means to te end of having fun.

What does your character want to achieve, and how do you want him, or her, to get there, within the context of the game and setting.

Also, I don't know when this started, but also Warhammer tabletop battles, when interpreting rules became a matter of life and death.

The difference, is that after the initial dispute, you can get official rulings on those interpretations.

I believe it was the '80s when those who became role-players first went back and became wargamers. Sure everyone has ego, but those who were wargamers first had a more strongly developed detachment to loss and death in a game. You are fielding stacks of chits or rows of stands, each chit/stand representing squads or larger combat units. They are not you. Sometimes you have leader stands. They are not you either.

Now look at the tabletop roleplayer. He fields one unit. One. To be effective and fun, you have to be cooperative and collaborative. You make sketches of you character, you create an accent, you make goals to get to 9th level Fighter Lord and build your castle. Put six months in, a year in. Unless you played wargames or Paranoia where death is just a two minute penalty box, that's a lot of time and ego put in. This is not you, but it feels like it.

There was a similar situation in the 1990's with those who came into gaming via Vampire LARP. Not a joke here. So much time trying to get your costume right. Selecting your vampiric disciplines. So much intense acting your part. Then go into Torpor after three rock/paper/scissor challenges.

The key is to understand that everything in the LBB 1-3 is there for player character interaction, there is little wargame element in LBB 1-3,

Mayday, Snapshot, AHL, Striker - all boardgame/wargames that you can have your characters involved in.
Book 2 Starship combat would indicate otherwise. 😈We never had enough floor space or tape measure. I never played miniatures before and thought it was crazy until I went to a con and saw a naval miniature battle. I had only done hex/chit wargames prior and wondered why Mayday was sold separately. 🤣

Time spent discussing stuff with Marc strongly suggest to me that interpreting Traveller RAW -- Rules As Written -- is unreliable at best. Traveller was Gee-Whiz 1970s Pulp Science Fiction Gaming in the Far Future, not Lawyers in Space.

Marc's comment on the Heavy Laser* solidified this in my mind just this month. It brought all the rules-breakers into focus as tests and features, not bugs.

Rules are guidelines whose boundaries were regularly tested (bent or broken) by most or all of GDW at some point. Alternative rules sprung up; some of them did so without invalidating old rules, even though they mismatched. This happened with setting and mechanics both. You know them yourself: ANNIC NOVA, mass versus volume, fusion rockets versus maneuver drive, High Guard, the AHL + Merc cruiser and orthogonal-to-thrust decks, advanced chargen, the Original Imperium, the Gazelle, every game module, Striker, and the beat goes on.

I might make the case that MegaTraveller is proof of the malleability of Traveller rules. It didn't start over: it mashed Classic Traveller together in a specific way, but certainly not the only way. You might say that Traveller4 is a different mashing together of Classic Traveller (and T5 after it). TNE was GDW saying that Traveller's core needs to be Twilight:2000, and it didn't cause them pain, because they continually invented ways of doing things as a company. I'm going on a tangent here, but you get my drift. That suggests, maybe, that even Traveller: 2300 didn't start out as a marketing ploy.

I suggest that this casual use and abuse of the rules included corner cases they didn't include in the rules, perhaps because they hadn't thought of it, or perhaps because they were fine with whatever. For example, I suggest that they either didn't think about empty hexes, or (more likely) they just hadn't thought through all the angles and so left it unsaid (e.g. calibration points and deep-space things in general.). I've seen this in Marc: he knows there's a topic that will require a book of thinking, and he doesn't have the time to think it all through, so he defers it. I bet he had to do this back when this was his job. That's part of the reason why nowadays he takes YEARS to finish something: he wants to chase some thoughts down more thoroughly. Oh yes and he's retired, but you know.

The movement to claim Traveller should only be ruled one way is an artifact of fans on the TML of the 1990s, not a mandate from GDW, DGP, or GURPS. We split mainly into Classic versus TNE and glared at each other, porting the term "canon" to Traveller and quoting what we thought of it as we went. Don McKinney was a moderating voice, saying that we all benefit when we admit that Traveller is much bigger than our comfort levels allow.

I'm in a constant tension of rebelling against it and joining it. Obviously, creative chaos is way more fun, and yet. Five years ago I was a lot more hardline about this is the way it's done and that's that. I blame everything except my own fascist leanings.
It's why when I made stuff up it was for "proto" Traveller., The "gee whiz" version of the game.

When the game gelled into the OTU .... circa 83 or thereabouts, it didn't alter my perspective on what I and my groups wanted from the game, but years later wen I came to this forum and read other forums, it really seemed to polarize people on what was what.

I like the OTU. But I like the open ended "port anything you want" version of the game infinitely more. Like I've stated, I didn't like making up saving throws, but the combat rules made up for that -- although the armor mechanic didn't stand the test.

Like a lot of post WW1 scifi Traveller is future-security matters in space. And I got a little dismayed some five to ten years ago when my time travel adventure didn't pass muster because time travel isn't part of the OTU. But, if I were still playing as opposed to mouthing off here, I could run it for any group.

The game that was introduced to me had that really cool sorta-kinda Luke Skywalker type on the Starter Box cover, with what I assume are Mister Miller and his wife facing opposite directions flanking him. I liked the guy's armor, his helmet, his face and haircut looked like most of the dudes I grew up with in the San Joquin valley and SF Bay Area. To me that was one type of combat armor.

The wedge scout ship was one type of many. You just needed to create your own.

And that was the attraction of the system. It offered guidance without being too didactic. At the same time we thought the armor and combat matrix was spotty.

Just my opinion.

And I got a little dismayed some five to ten years ago when my time travel adventure didn't pass muster because time travel isn't part of the OTU.
{snerk}
Just because it wasn't then, doesn't mean it can't be now ... because, you know ... time travel ... 🤪
Even then, and unlike HG, LBB2 spaceship combat is very character oriented, with skills and individual decisions being as bit as important as the starship itself.
LBB2 is ACS scale where crews matter as much (or more) than ships.
LBB5 is BCS scale where ships matter and crews are very nearly an afterthought (although crew skills do still have some limited influences on outcomes).

Even then, and unlike HG, LBB2 spaceship combat is very character oriented...
In context and hindsight, HG is a space combat simulator with just enough detail to support frantic PC action onboard either a participant or an observer. It isn't a particularly engaging wargame.

It could probably be converted to a "Eurogame" with playmats, cards, and tokens pretty readily (multiple dice rolls per attack aside) though the design system would not be part of that.

Pretty much all of the Traveller space systems are space simulators. HG just kick it up a notch in the abstraction level.

Back