• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Travels Down Memory Lane

SpaceBadger

SOC-14 1K
Knight
Just had some interesting experience I thought I'd share. Dunno if this will have the same effect for all y'all, or I'm just weird bc of my damaged memory indexes from brain surgery January 2015, and subsequently not hanging around here from then until a few months ago.

Anyway, here 'tis:

Click your own username to go to your Profile (or use the User CP dropdown menu, whatever). Click the Statistics tab. Under the Total Posts heading, click Find All Threads Started by [username]. Browse through the old stuff, conversations that you've forgotten even happened. Up come the memories of friends in days past, some still around, some just not here anymore, some [too many! :( ] moved on to the Absent Friends list.

Maybe it's just me. Being disabled, I have time on my hands. I don't get out much, so friends here are a significant portion of friends total (is it weird to think in Venn diagrams?). But anyway, I found it a moving experience and wanted to share. :)

PS: If you don't tend to be a thread starter, there's also the link for Find All Posts by [username], to just look back at stuff you've posted in past years. Even though the link says it is to find your own posts, it actually lets you read the whole thread to see what everybody else wrote, which is kinda the point.

while it's great to be reminded of previous ideas, personally I find it annoying to see how much time as gone by. the older I get the more things I want to do and the more irritated I get at realizing I'm never going to do them.

heh. just noticed coliver's lab graphics starting here http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gallery/index.php?n=2733 had a serious medical transient and surgery last november and clean lost all memory of these, even looking at them I barely remember them.

had a serious medical transient and surgery last november and clean lost all memory of these, even looking at them I barely remember them.

That's how I am with LOTS of stuff. I read stuff that I wrote before my surgery and it's completely new to me, like somebody else wrote it. The cool thing is, I kinda like a lot of the stuff that guy wrote, and can nod in agreement. ;) The sad thing is, I think that guy was a better writer/thinker than I am now. :(

I've spent the past couple hours surfing through old threads. It has been a real eye-opener, in terms of making me wish more strongly than ever that I still had all of that Traveller, math, and physics knowledge in my head, readily available to me! But you know the saying, wish in one hand...
And it seems more than ever that old-me, even up to a couple years after the surgery, was much smarter than I am now.:(😥

I've spent the past couple hours surfing through old threads. It has been a real eye-opener, in terms of making me wish more strongly than ever that I still had all of that Traveller, math, and physics knowledge in my head, readily available to me! But you know the saying, wish in one hand...
And it seems more than ever that old-me, even up to a couple years after the surgery, was much smarter than I am now.:(😥
But you're back with us, which is good!

You are still with us, that is what counts, my Friend.

By the way, looking at old threads in not that bad an idea.

Sometimes I scroll back through the forums here, and plenty of the threads were made before I was born. It's quite remarkable, seeing people chatting here back then still floating around now. At least for me.

Back