• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Trokh Vocabulary (Aslan language)

I didn't deal with multiple scripts. Since one system is logographic or ideographic, I felt comfortable letting that one never see the light of day. The closest I'd get to THAT is to have something like Hangul that looks logographic but is just an ingenious alphabet that the entire world should adopt because it's so cool. Etc.

I considered that final letters might change form, like Arabic. And it worked out that some of them DO do this: the letters E, O, R, and perhaps L and S. I have this in my notes but not on the paper I posted - sorry about that!

I treated the exercise as a pseudo-cryptogram.

I copied the character streams as best I could, found the spaces that indicated "word" boundaries, then split each character up into a series of basic forms, very like Gregg shorthand on hallucinogens. THEN I gave each basic form a letter, starting with A and ending with Y -- so I found 25 basic forms.

I gave these forms letter names because letters are easier to analyze. They ended up looking like this:

ABCDECFGHDIJ KDL FMLNODPQRS KCT BCLTLDBTXRIUU LM VRKCCXWRKR DMCR CXNR IK ICR ?Y?HCBDCTHPCPGPCCUC CTCBHCSQHCBLOCVC ADXP UX YGC CBLYQBI QLULDP LDCTBQ IS QY QM

(The question marks were characters I couldn't decompose easily. I let them go.)

Then I took what I knew of the Aslan word generation rules and made some decisions. I worked on the vowels first -- every word needed vowels, right? So I looked for patterns. C and D popped out fast, and after awhile I decided N, Q, M, and U represented vowels as well. I more or less arbitrarily assigned them sounds, but shifted D's value twice and N's at least once.

After I had vowels located I could start thinking about the consonants. I assigned them in two frequency groups, with the most frequent (maybe four or five) first, and the remaining ones as needed. I still had a few slots left, and some of those were allocated to vowels, and some to existing consonants. Unfortunately I didn't check to see which qualify as "word final" forms.

BUT, I can see where one at least qualifies as a word-final form: the letter "R", which represents an actual "R", appears to be primarily word-final, while its infix form ("F") never ends a word. And with some finagling, "Q" could become "word-initial" E, while "E" becomes the non-initial E. And "M" can usually be the word-final form of O. Others can be trawled from (e.g.) David Billinghurst's nice pseudo-Aslan glyphs.

Last edited:
Most of the glyphs are complex; that is, made up of several strokes which I, for the sake of sanity, broke down and categorized into about twenty unique and simple forms in order to pretend there's an alphabet of some sort in there. So those ?'s were certainly complex glyphs I found a bit too complicated to bother breaking down at the time. Now that the rest of it is done they might be more tractable.

I realized this morning that I couldn't assume that YA, YE, YO, and YU were composed of I+A, I+E, I+O, and I+U, because IA IE IO and IU also show up in the text separately from YA YE YO and YU. So I have a small bit of additional work to do on the vowels. But since there is wiggle room in the element inventory, I don't see a major problem. I just need to allocate four spots to those Y+ diphthongs. IY is already accounted for.

Here's a stab at some Trokh, from a rank amateur.

He had not yet said again that he was going to pilot the Traitor's Claw.

Waohkihakrehlyeaohleriy Hkuawyrhaisei.

NEG.he.saying.PERF.YET.AGAIN.REL.he.piloting.VOL [space] traitor.GEN.dewclaw.

Or, if I were going to borrow a note from DGP:

I'aohkihakrehlyeaohleriy Hkuawyrhaisei.

I always go back to the Aslan word generator in MegaTraveller Alien Solomani & Aslan book. I wasn't too worried about a dictionary of pre-made words. I played an aslan engineer on the Pirate of Drinax Harrier whose anglic was a bit broken, Language (Anglic) 1, so I peppered her speech when I thought it would be appropriate to have certain trokh words she would fall back on. I would generate the word using the trokh word tables and keep a list for when the situation came up. She did have a stable of 'colorful' words and phrases when frustrated or angry. For a few:

Yer = dungheap
Oahki' = simpletons
Ouhrealryeh = Common obscenity (much innuendo, downright nasty)
Hta! = Oh!
His = negative exclamation.

Back