• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vent-Rant MegaTraveller what I hate about it.

Not knowing Striker in depth, at least it gave vehicle rules, as for CT has no good rules for them...
I think they ought to have published at least a supplement (to both Striker and Traveller as one booklet) with a set of example vegicles.

I just pulled up Book 8 Robots, I do not think we ever used it, since it came out late for us.
As for the Space Gamer pre-Striker vehicle design, I do not think I have ever seen it. I will have to look for it.
To be real honest I just mined it for stuff for the Journal version of Robots. I't big problem is it too 1980s, which part of the problem Sith Striker as well.

I think DGP dropped the ball all-right but I take the 1120 maps in the Rebellion Sourcebook as its original intent for the setting. Territories are static with unclaimed regions between. There's opportunity for espionage, ship warfare and political maneuvering but there's still a place for trade and exploration (after a fashion in the formerlly central part of the TI map). If it had gone this way it would have avoided all of the uncertainly gamers had about their maps being changed out from under them and hence ambivalence to the setting.

That may be the assumption the "Peace at last"/Faction Exhaustion map that HIWG was circulating was based on, but it assumes a relatively "polite" war much like the Barrack Emperors period 500 years earlier: Fights are not over territory, but over the Throne itself. The problem with that is that the war was already three years old so territories were inevitable, AND they had created Lucan, the implacable and likely insane defender who was worse than the attacker. Then they depicted Margaret's husband as representing a corporate intel service with cartoon levels of evil. And then there's the Solomani, set up as vindictive combatants with a racism problem.

The map was NOT going to remain static and the war was NOT going to be polite. Arguably the Black War would have started even earlier and wrecked the "non-aligned" regions faster, but any hopes of a static map in a multi-front war are deeply misplaced. War stories are all about changing conditions.

But you may be right, given the treatment of the war in Knightfall. Suffer orbital bombardment, taken prisoner, lose ship, escape, regain ship. Thank you for participating in the Rebellion, you may now resume your irrelevant nonsense without hearing about the war again.

That may be the assumption the "Peace at last"/Faction Exhaustion map that HIWG was circulating was based on, but it assumes a relatively "polite" war much like the Barrack Emperors period 500 years earlier: Fights are not over territory, but over the Throne itself. The problem with that is that the war was already three years old so territories were inevitable, AND they had created Lucan, the implacable and likely insane defender who was worse than the attacker. Then they depicted Margaret's husband as representing a corporate intel service with cartoon levels of evil. And then there's the Solomani, set up as vindictive combatants with a racism problem.

The map was NOT going to remain static and the war was NOT going to be polite. Arguably the Black War would have started even earlier and wrecked the "non-aligned" regions faster, but any hopes of a static map in a multi-front war are deeply misplaced. War stories are all about changing conditions.

But you may be right, given the treatment of the war in Knightfall. Suffer orbital bombardment, taken prisoner, lose ship, escape, regain ship. Thank you for participating in the Rebellion, you may now resume your irrelevant nonsense without hearing about the war again.
I think the RS 1120 map was a potential meta-solution; it may not be logical, (for some value of logic), but it addressed a perceived need in the game. Conventional thinking was that the TI was static, even boring. DGP flipped the table and literally shook things up. The problem was they didn't know what to do with it after and/or just assumed it could be left in the hands of the gaming community. The incredible lack of Rebellion related adventures would seem to indicate this.

That's my quick take There's a reason why I still play in 1106 in the Marches . . . :cool:

That's my quick take There's a reason why I still play in 1106 in the Marches . . . :cool:
Pre-Fifth Frontier War in the Spinward Marches is just ... classic Traveller ... 😁(y)

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to get Travellermap to show me a LBB S3 (as printed) version of the M1105 sector map (reject the CT Errata changes). I keep finding a whole bunch of discrepancies in almost every subsector deserving correction.

I might wind up needing to edit my own sector data files to run through Travellermap so as to be able to work with something more recognizably LBB S3-ish that is more compatible with 1105 (and earlier). :unsure:

I do second that sentiment, the T5 and "Errata" changes to subsector data are not welcome in my campaign. Why? Becasue substantial changes werre made without any reason, destroying the intent of the planet's role. A simple example would be the chnage to Victoria. It is supposed to be a "steampunk" planet but got downgraded to TL-1. I do not see any benefit in that.

I do second that sentiment, the T5 and "Errata" changes to subsector data are not welcome in my campaign. Why? Becasue substantial changes werre made without any reason, destroying the intent of the planet's role. A simple example would be the chnage to Victoria. It is supposed to be a "steampunk" planet but got downgraded to TL-1. I do not see any benefit in that.
It was the article on Victoria that appeared in JTAS 2, written by Marc, that got me interested in Traveller. That is still one I reread on a regular basis as the way to write an article describing a planet. And I still use Supplement 3 for the Spinward Marches as well.

Where are you seeing TL1? Imperial Encyclopedia is showing TL2. Anything later than that (Mongoose aside) can be explained as an *era* based change, and indeed, New Era shows TL3 and 1248 shows TL4.

TL2 was actually the maximum under Classic, given the UWP for Victoria at the time, so the originally listed TL4 was already an exception. The TL was corrected in MT from 4 to 2. Victoria wouldn't get its atmosphere and port changes (both to D) until much later, so the modern version is actually at the minimum TL instead of the maximum.

Much like Steampunk, Traveller TL is a bit slippery. "Steampunk" can include the TL2 to 4 range, but usually settles at 3 to 4, IMO.

Back