• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

vilani language

Has work been done on Vilani cooking?

I had just considered an overview of the difficulty of food preparation on Vland and some suggestions on how it was dealt with. I have not really looked into the subject. My exposure to Vilani cooking has been limited to Instapak Noodles, the extra spicy ones with the red label. ;)

Originally posted by robject:
My goodness, Liam.

I'm amazed. You've actually written a sonnet. In Trade Vilani, or whatever it's called. Wonderful!

Perhaps the title could be Khema Shiramerak "Flower-Home".
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
me bows

I'm honored sir. 'Flower-Home' sounds good for the imagery involved. Hats off to you!
Exuent

Originally posted by Parmasson:
Has work been done on Vilani cooking?
Now that would be a great thread to start if it is not put in this one.

Recipes for all sorts of dishes
Meats
vegetables
breads
desserts
Salads

MMMmmmm...Rats! I'm getting hungry talking about it! :D

Badrishsar-fortified home, house. A defensible home, not a true 'castle'
which is Badrishar.

from bad, meaning fortification, rampart, or city wall;

and rishsar, meaning house.

Daes Kumirah The Game of Nobel Houses.
Every Nobel house tries to do something to either promote their house, bring down another house or both at the same time.

The game can be played by non nobels who are trying to help or hinder whichever house they are aligned with. Everyone becomes suspicious of eveyone else and looks at everything people do or say, looking for hidden meanings or useful information.

Often people will claim to be "Out of the game of houses".
Some truly want to be out and left alone, others are simply saying this to gain an advantage somewhere else.

Giraakha: Shortsighted, sloppy thinking. Lazy slcakerism as a way of life. Often used in reference to Terran culture.

Keep 'em coming, folks, if you've got the inclination. These are pretty useful.

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
drekh-low Vilani epithet for inedible filth,

coined from the Vargr daergh-inedible filth, and or meat/ excrement.
Or just as likely from the German/Yiddish/Shadowrun slang drek. :cool:

<BANAARADAAGUU>
Must be some Ashkenazic Jewish Vargr influence.
Oy vey!
<BANAARADAAGUU>

Originally posted by Casey:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
drekh-low Vilani epithet for inedible filth,

coined from the Vargr daergh-inedible filth, and or meat/ excrement.
Or just as likely from the German/Yiddish/Shadowrun slang drek. :cool:

<BANAARADAAGUU>
Must be some Ashkenazic Jewish Vargr influence.
Oy vey!
<BANAARADAAGUU>
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, makes me wonder about the Ashkenazi's contact list, actually. In fact, Ashkenazi is valid Vilani phonology (although Ashkenaz isn't).

/Drekh/ Vilanicised: Adrekha, or Dareg, or ?

Khasekane= Barbarian races, child-like backward people needing enlightenment from a superior source.
Sometimes readable as "barbarian" depending on context and era.

Noun= Mordeith , Adverb-...En
One who beleives they are clever, not telling all the truth, acting sly, deceptive, skirting the facts.

Originally posted by Baron W. The PreacherMan:
Noun= Mordeith , Adverb-...En
One who beleives they are clever, not telling all the truth, acting sly, deceptive, skirting the facts.
To Vilanicise:
(1) replace the 'o'.
(2) replace the diphthong 'ei'.
(3) replace the 'th'.

Lots of options there, so I didn't want to declare a translation by fiat.

Biriiki!--what you don't shout in a Vilani Holo-theatre , or Fire!

biriika!, to fire, as in "open fire!"

Bire--those pesky things that Solomani always swat at. (a) Fly.

How to Talk like a Vilani

Vilani code a lot of information into their verbs. As a result, they don't use as many prepositional phrases as we do.

For example, in English one might say, "He sprinted around the track."

Vilani doesn't really have an applicational marker for "around"; they get around this type of limitation with path-encoding verbs. They'd say it more like this:

"He circuited the track, sprinting."

In fact, sprinting would be an auxiliary verb, which they'd tack on behind the main verb:

"He circuited, sprinting, the track."

This is about as close to Vilani as we can get without the sentence looking totally alien. The actual Vilani sentence would literally read more like this:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">it-he-circuited sprinting the-track.</pre>[/QUOTE]So if we knew the verbs for circuit (perhaps /giilur/) and sprint (/shaa/, 'run') and track (khurisi), we can construct a proper Vilani sentence.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Kikgiilur shaanu khurisi.
He ran around the track.

KI-K-GIILUR SHAA-NU KHURISI.
It-He-Circled Running Track(obj).</pre>[/QUOTE]

Back