• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

We Come from France!

LiNeNoiSe

SOC-12
I've been re-reading many of the threads over here and I got to wondering about something.

Did anybody ever run a campaign in which the French were not the bad guys? :)

Well, I've never played one where the French were the bad guys, if that helps...

After all, the game itselfs offers quite a lot of bad guys (Provolution, AmCo, etc...) and, while Tricolor is French, they are even against their own government.

And, as government sanctioned bad guys, INAP comes to my mind before any French organization.

Well, I've never played one where the French were the bad guys, if that helps...

Yes. Thanks. Most websites I've seen ignore or marginalize the French, or at least treat them with suspicion.

After all, the game itselfs offers quite a lot of bad guys (Provolution, AmCo, etc...) and, while Tricolor is French, they are even against their own government.

And, as government sanctioned bad guys, INAP comes to my mind before any French organization.

That seems to have changed a bit in 2320. They used the Foreign Legion against their own people on Kimajano.

That seems to have changed a bit in 2320. They used the Foreign Legion against their own people on Kimajano.

Never been involved in 2320. Not the first time in history that an army is used against its own citizenry, though...

France is the superpower of 2300, so they have their fingers in a lot of pies. They're not necessarily evil in my 2300. They have their own interests that they try and advance, but that makes them no different than anyone else in the 2300 world, it's just they're more able to do it than say, Texas or one of the *stans.

I sometimes use them as villains and sometimes use them as saviors; sometimes they are enemies and other times they are allies.

Players run into French who hate France and despise it for its excesses and inabilities. There are others who think France is great and represent what is best in humanity. Both groups are right.

Never been involved in 2320. Not the first time in history that an army is used against its own citizenry, though...

I think you're missing the point. They used the Foreign Legion against their own people.

Nothing will infuriate rebels more than using foreigners against them.

See Hessians in New Jersey.

I think you're missing the point. They used the Foreign Legion against their own people.

It's still regular French army, even in composed by foreign elements.

I don't need to go so far. The Spanish Legion and other African troops (Regulares, Tiradores de Ifni,...) where used quite a lot in Spanish Civil War, as integral part of the Spanish Army.

Last edited:

What McPerth said its still part of the French Military is and staffed by French Officers. But then the Legion is kind of used to do the dirty work.

But more to the point I don't use the French as the bad guys. In my games they have their own goals which don't always mesh or play nice with others which can cause trouble, but that's what PC's opportunities. But at the same time I do have French NPC's that can be over bearing and not well liked, but I do make sure at some later time to make sure it is the French that save the day.

Note that after completion of the first (6 year) term, a Legionnaire is no longer a foreigner... he's an immigrant French citizen.

And the "protection of identity" of Legionnaires has been taken advantage of by not a few native Frenchmen.

Further, the Frenchmen I've known consider the Legion Etrangere quintessentially French... an honorable way to become French or to escape a (minor) French criminal history. (No longer will they accept violent felons - French or otherwise.)

Note that after completion of the first (6 year) term, a Legionnaire is no longer a foreigner... he's an immigrant French citizen.

And the "protection of identity" of Legionnaires has been taken advantage of by not a few native Frenchmen.

Further, the Frenchmen I've known consider the Legion Etrangere quintessentially French... an honorable way to become French or to escape a (minor) French criminal history. (No longer will they accept violent felons - French or otherwise.)

Very good point you made there, and its not the only way to become a French Citizen. A soldier who becomes injured during a battle for France can immediately apply for French citizenship under a provision known as "Français par le sang versé" ("French by spilled blood").

Yes. Thanks. Most websites I've seen ignore or marginalize the French, or at least treat them with suspicion.

I've seen it suggested that the only reason the UK bought into the F-35 was that the alternative was to buy a French fighter1 for their new carriers.

1 Navalised version of the Dassault Rafale.

Lockheed incentivized the deal through access of subcontracting.

By removing the potential SuperHarrier competition, the Marines really had only one source.

I don't see the French as bad guys, they are just French..... They don't play well with others, sort of like today.

Well, France is the main superpower in 2300AD, and, historically, the main superpower (be it Spain in the XV-XVII ceturies, England in Victorian age, or whatever) is the one to have more enemies and to be less liked (even though it may be the one with more allies, as no one dares to directly oppose it, if can be avoided).

And as France is losing this status, other power become more daring in their relations with it, and this may provoke as a response to try to reeafirm its position, leading to more conflicts...

I've seen it suggested that the only reason the UK bought into the F-35 was that the alternative was to buy a French fighter1 for their new carriers.

1 Navalised version of the Dassault Rafale.
Yet, aren't they sharing an aircraft carrier?

Back